Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

PGCE: A viable option?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'l start by outlining my current situation:

I'm 22, finished an undergraduate degree in physics in 2010 for which I got a 3rd class degree and now live in my own rented place and work.

What I would like to do this year is apply to do a PGCE and do that come September but I'm really not sure how I will be able to afford to do it or whether or not it's even worth going through the application process with a 3rd.

I've looked up the ITT scheme the government uses to give bursaries to people doing PGCEs in high demand subjects if you hold a degree in it but you can only qualify if you have at least a 2:2.

Looking at the student finance available I can get a loan to cover my full fees, a maintenance loan of £3,875 and a maintenance grant of £3,250. That make a total of £7125 to survive an entire year on and after rent that's not even enough to buy food let alone pay bills or spend anything else.

These are my questions:
    1) Is doing a PGCE going to be a viable option for me from a purely academic stand point? Will courses accept me if I apply?
    2) If so is there any other source of funding available to people wanting to do a PGCE is physics or more general science?

I would really appreciate any help or input from anyone in a similar position.

-Mike
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    During my undergraduate degree I survived on less money than that so it can be done

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.