ReputationRep:
    Reggaeton.

And Justin Bieber.
    And Rebecca Black.
    And Selena Gomez.

...there is actually a loooong etc.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Football commentary - It's just the most mindless thing I've ever heard (except Kim Kardashian)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    R&B. I mainly listen to rock and metal, as well as some electronic genres, however I think there are songs from pretty much every genre of music you can name that I think are OK. Except R&B. I have literally never found a R&B song I like (I don't know if right calling it R&B, I might mean R'n'B, but I'm talking about modern tat like Usher and Lil Wayne).

I challenger someone to find just one good song in that genre.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    ... anything thats on my sister's ipod, e.g

James. blunt.
    Hobbie stuart
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    About 90% of the music my boss listens to. I have been subjected to crap like Steps.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    About 90% of the music my boss listens to. I have been subjected to crap like Steps.
    5,6,7,8! - Steps can be enjoyable - but then I can on occasion find myself in the mood for "never gonna give you up".

Anyone who criticises Men At Work - great band.

Not really a fan of Drum & Bass, Hip Hop, R'n'B, quite a bit of modern pop - the list goes on.

I mostly listen to (although very broad terms) - Rock & Metal. Can't claim to like all the sub-genres of Metal, or of Rock - but they've a fair few styles that I really enjoy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    R&B. I mainly listen to rock and metal, as well as some electronic genres, however I think there are songs from pretty much every genre of music you can name that I think are OK. Except R&B. I have literally never found a R&B song I like (I don't know if right calling it R&B, I might mean R'n'B, but I'm talking about modern tat like Usher and Lil Wayne).

I challenger someone to find just one good song in that genre.
    Usher and Lil Wayne are pretty different. If you elaborate on the type of music you mean I'll gladly take the challenge
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prog2djent)
    Nor am I, my favourite genres are Progressive metal, Jazz fusion (post Davis) and ambient music, yet on a forum asking what we don't like to listen to, you feel you have to write quite a big about what you like to listen to, and I'm sure you don't really listen to those composers, I appreciate Baroque-classical-romantic-expressionist music but I don't pretend I listen to it, tis a shame fellow metal heads (not referencing you) like to everyone how much classical music they listen to despite knowing that 1 or 2 guys they know because a shredder covered 10 bars of their composition stretching it out for 6 mintues.

Damn, I sound like a hipsten now

I don't pretend I listen to it either.. because I actually do. Instrumental music is great for listening whilst concentrating on something else too. I don't listen to any Baroque music, rather classical, romantic, new age and minimalist. And don't argue, you wouldn't know what I listen to. I've played piano for 7 years, I play guitar and used to sing, so I think my interest in that area of music is clear. In fact I play most of the music I listen to..

Philip Glass - Metamorphosis, The Hours (learnt them both)
    Michael Nyman - The Piano (learnt the theme)
    Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no. 2 in C min (mov. 2 is my favourite), Prelude in C# minor (which I'm actually learning), Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.
    Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture of course, what a classic (not for piano of course)
    Mozart - Piano Sonata No. 11 in A
    Dvorak - New world symphony
    Beethoven - Sonata no. 14, Op. 27 No. 2 (played it for my gcse)
    Chopin - Nocturne in Eb Major (played it), Op. 25 No. 12 "Ocean" Prelude.
    Ludovico Einaudi is a modern favourite of mine, nice sight-reading stuff.

So seriously.. stop accusing others of lying, because you're clearly wrong. Feel free to call me pretentious again but you're clearly just ignorant of the fact that there is so much old music out there there has to be something for everyone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Usher and Lil Wayne are pretty different. If you elaborate on the type of music you mean I'll gladly take the challenge
    I think Lil Wayne was probably a mistake, I really hate his music but that's not the genre I was talking about, I'm more on about artists like Usher and Ne-Yo and Rihanna. I guess you could say it's a mixture of hip-hop and soul music, but rocketed into the 21st century with overproduced vocals and crappy synths and drum machines.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    death metal... i feel sick when i listen to it i'm not even exaggerating, my brain hurts, it's attrocious... and its listeners are even worse, they're all snobby and pretentious...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Stated like a boss :yy:

Seriously, anyone who starts a sentence with "I can listen to anything" is immediately in my "Never talk to again" list, primarily because most of the time they're liars who are trying to big themselves up based upon something as pedantic as what music they listen to on a day to day basis.

This is one of my favourite songs:

Anyone who says anything other than "metal" (or some variant of) listen to that before posting.

Also, listen to Goregrind or Noise before posting. And Funeral Doom. I could go on.

(And Rebecca Black )
    that is my point, the guitars and stuff are really good... but that awful screaming ruins it all, sets my teeth on edge, it's like scraping nails down a blackboard... horrible.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rap music, chart music and dubstep.

Contemptible, talentless ****e.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    I think Lil Wayne was probably a mistake, I really hate his music but that's not the genre I was talking about, I'm more on about artists like Usher and Ne-Yo and Rihanna. I guess you could say it's a mixture of hip-hop and soul music, but rocketed into the 21st century with overproduced vocals and crappy synths and drum machines.
    Oh ok. In which case I can't help as that's not my bag either.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)

You might not like something but talentless? There's music I can't stand but come on...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skrillex! I dont know what type of music it even is, heck it isnt even music in my book! It sounded like the terminator orgasming last time i listened to him!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    that is my point, the guitars and stuff are really good... but that awful screaming ruins it all, sets my teeth on edge, it's like scraping nails down a blackboard... horrible.
    That's not Death Metal, that's DSBM

This is Death Metal:

:yy:

I can see your point though. A lot of people aren't into the various stylings of extreme metal vocals despite appreciating the music.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stated like a boss :yy:

Seriously, anyone who starts a sentence with "I can listen to anything" is immediately in my "Never talk to again" list, primarily because most of the time they're liars who are trying to big themselves up based upon something as pedantic as what music they listen to on a day to day basis.

This is one of my favourite songs:
    (BLAH)

Anyone who says anything other than "metal" (or some variant of) listen to that before posting.

Also, listen to Goregrind or Noise before posting. And Funeral Doom. I could go on.

(And Rebecca Black )
    You having a pop at goregrind (meh), noise and funeral doom? I love the last two. :P
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philistine)

Concerning rap/hip-hop, I disagree. What I listen to in that field is extremely limited (if it's not similar to the sound Wu-Tang had during the Enter the 36th Chamber era then I'm not particularly interested, though I do waver from time to time), but what I do listen to has a decent flow, decent lyrics, and a decent beat.

To say that it's "talentless" is quite a slap to the face. Watch this:

Yes, I know it's on a Tim Westwood show, and yes, I know he's a 54 year old white boy from Suffolk who talks like a 17 year old black man, but ignore that and focus on what's actually going on.
    All of that off the top of their heads (whilst mashed, judging by their eyes and the joints they're holding). Not exactly "talentless".
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's not Death Metal, that's DSBM

This is Death Metal:

:yy:

I can see your point though. A lot of people aren't into the various stylings of extreme metal vocals despite appreciating the music.
    oh haha i just class anything with that screaming stuff as death metal, though that's probably wrong!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.