Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's with all the UK Music Takeover

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that loads of UK artists are having success in the US nowdays before it never seemed to happen the biggest bands in the UK during the 90's and 00's it never seemed possible even bands and singers like Take That etc... that were huge in the UK have done **** all in the USA.

Calvin Harris
    Florence & The Machine
    Taio Cruz
    Jay Sean
    Adele
    Coldplay
    One Direction:eek:
    The Wanted
    Jessie J
    Tinie Tempah
    Mumford & Sons

Then add in the fact that Dubstep seems to be taking off on both sides of the Atlantic and producers like Alex Da Kid then the Billboard chart seems packed with British music.

So why all of a sudden are British acts getting more success in the notoriously hard to break market.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because American music is focused around Jazz, Blues, Country and Rap essentially. They want a bit more variety.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    Calvin Harris
    Florence & The Machine
    Taio Cruz
    Jay Sean
    Adele
    Coldplay
    The Wanted
    Jessie J
    Tinie Tempah
    Mumford & Sons
    vom. Let America keep them.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed that loads of UK artists are having success in the US nowdays before it never seemed to happen the biggest bands in the UK during the 90's and 00's it never seemed possible even bands and singers like Take That etc... that were huge in the UK have done **** all in the USA.

Calvin Harris
    Florence & The Machine
    Taio Cruz
    Jay Sean
    Adele
    Coldplay
    The Wanted
    Jessie J
    Tinie Tempah
    Mumford & Sons

Then add in the fact that Dubstep seems to be taking off on both sides of the Atlantic and producers like Alex Da Kid then the Billboard chart seems packed with British music.

So why all of a sudden are British acts getting more success in the notoriously hard to break market.
    I think you're overestimating the current importance of several of these British acts, and underestimating that of british acts from previous years

I doubt you could find a handful of people who know about One Direction and The Wanted

On the other hand, artistes such as Coldplay, Adele (and to a lesser extent Taio Cruz and jay Sean) are WORLDWIDE hitmakers - and you must remember that Coldplay have been big in america for the past decade, especially in t 00s', so its a bit biased for you to put them there.

British acts have always had SOMEONE on the US charts, and vice versa
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    they want variety which is what brit artists can give,
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    I think you're overestimating the current importance of several of these British acts, and underestimating that of british acts from previous years

I doubt you could find a handful of people who know about One Direction and The Wanted

On the other hand, artistes such as Coldplay, Adele (and to a lesser extent Taio Cruz and jay Sean) are WORLDWIDE hitmakers - and you must remember that Coldplay have been big in america for the past decade, especially in t 00s', so its a bit biased for you to put them there.

One Direction are curently number 1 (deluxe version) and number 2 (non deluxe version) on the iTunes US album chart and the Wanted are number two on the iTunes singles chart and both should be set to chart in similar positions on the Billboard charts.

So they are obviousley well known
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Calvin Harris
    Florence & The Machine
    Taio Cruz
    Jay Sean
    Adele
    Coldplay
    The Wanted
    Jessie J
    Tinie Tempah
    Mumford & Sons

because florence is a beast ^^ and the fact that she blew away everyone on the VMA's in 2010 well I think it was VMA's itss somthing to be with videos
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    One Direction are curently number 1 (deluxe version) and number 2 (non deluxe version) on the iTunes US album chart and the Wanted are number two on the iTunes singles chart and both should be set to chart in similar positions on the Billboard charts.

So they are obviousley well known
    Yet their album hasn't been officially released in the US, and they're only single peaked at the lofty position of number 28 on the us charts

ITunes album chart quite obviously does NOT accurately reflect the standing of the artistes there.

Besides adele and bruce springsteen, I highly doubt that ANY of the other artistes on the chart will be in the top 20 selling artistes in the US, and I doubt several of them will even make it to the top 50.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:

One Direction have the current #1 album is the USA, and The Wanted have a #2 in the US Billboard.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Calvin Harris - Not really OP
    Florence & The Machine - Not really OP
    Taio Cruz - Yup.
    Jay Sean - Besides for a few huge hits, not really.
    Adele - Huge.
    Coldplay - Huge.
    One Direction:eek: - Have become recently huge.
    The Wanted - Have become recently huge thanks to Justin Bieber.
    Jessie J - Also Huge.
    Tinie Tempah - Not really as huge, but still pretty big in the USA.
    Mumford & Sons - Again, not really
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    One Direction have the current #1 album is the USA, and The Wanted have a #2 in the US Billboard.
    I stand by all the previous points I made

• 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I stand by all the previous points I made

They also have an upcoming sellout tour. Your point has no ground to stand on :P
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    They also have an upcoming sellout tour. Your point has no ground to stand on :P
    Anyone can have a "sellout tour" Just depends on the capacity of the venues that they're performing in. I highly doubt that they would be performing in large stadium venues, say Madison Square Gardens.

However, I will begrudgingly admit that they MAY be more popular than I estimated. However, I still reserve my opinion until PROVEN otherwise
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few of those acts are very British acts rather than poor imitations of US music. People like Adele, Flo, Coldplay, Mumford, Jessie J, and even Tinie are very different to the usual I think that gives them a USP.

In the case of Taio Cruz and Jay Sean, I think they are just good R&B imitations.

Not all of them are that big though, no where near the golden era of British bands.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    However, I will begrudgingly admit that they MAY be more popular than I estimated. However, I still reserve my opinion until PROVEN otherwise
    The number 1 album alone, proves that. Thats not 1 catchy song, that people going out and buying the whole album. They are arguably as big over there as they are here.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can have a "sellout tour" Just depends on the capacity of the venues that they're performing in. I highly doubt that they would be performing in large stadium venues, say Madison Square Gardens.

Justin Bieber sold out Madison Square Garden, and One Direction are becoming as big as him.. so y'know..
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    The number 1 album alone, proves that. Thats not 1 catchy song, that people going out and buying the whole album. They are arguably as big over there as they are here.
    Lets not get carried away here. They may be GROWING, and may soon be very popular in the US. They are nowhere near as popular in the states as they are in the UK
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Justin Bieber sold out Madison Square Garden, and One Direction are becoming as big as him.. so y'know..
    Nowhere in hell is one direction as popular (or hated) as Justin Bieber. Like, not even close.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that's the best the UK can provide...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.