The Student Room Group

IB or A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I have not done A levels as i do not live in the commonwealth, I did IB though and I believe that it was the best preparation for my university studies (currently) here, but I just hope my IB grades will be enough to get into medicine in the UK
Reply 21
Original post by MaddyAmy
Hi everyone,

So I have no idea what to do after GCSE's, and the IB really appeals to me, but I have heard it is super difficult, and I don't want to do the IB if I will do worse than I would at A-Levels.

The school I would do IB at is the one of the top in the UK, so I'm not worried about the teaching, just about the heavy courseload that the IB has.

I would take-
HL - History, English and Psychology/Theatre
SL - Mathematics, Biology and Italian ab initio

For A-Levels -
Maths, English Lit, History and Classics

I want to go to University and study History, what do you think would be best for me? I have no strict career plans.

I am predicted all A's and A*s and GCSE.

Thank you! :smile:

If you're hardworking and willing to put your intelligence to use, then you should do well either way- A-levels or IB isn't the question, it's whether you want the additional burden of 3 SL subjects plus TOK and EE... I did IB, and if I were you I would take A-levels because it doesn't force you to take subjects you may despise- like Math- or sciences or languages. Also, just a heads up, IB History HL is supposedly notoriously difficult, and over the past few years only about 2% of all History and English HL students have gotten a 7. I don't know what A-level history is like, though. If getting into a good university, especially Oxbridge, is your goal, then take A-levels.
Hey guys
I did one year of A-levels before moving to an IB school.
Having experienced both, I personally find IB a lot harder but at the same time wayyy more interesting. A-levels were so limited - doing such little subjects got so boring. Then again, I don't know what I want to do in the future so maybe I chose the wrong subjects (I did history, englit, math, chemistry). IB workload will drive you insane, but its manageable providing you stay organised and studious.
Any specific questions just ask:smile:
x
Reply 23
Hi everyone!

I choose IB and I am loving it, thank you so much for all your advice, helped a lot :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by MaddyAmy
Hi everyone,

So I have no idea what to do after GCSE's, and the IB really appeals to me, but I have heard it is super difficult, and I don't want to do the IB if I will do worse than I would at A-Levels.

The school I would do IB at is the one of the top in the UK, so I'm not worried about the teaching, just about the heavy courseload that the IB has.

I would take-
HL - History, English and Psychology/Theatre
SL - Mathematics, Biology and Italian ab initio

For A-Levels -
Maths, English Lit, History and Classics

I want to go to University and study History, what do you think would be best for me? I have no strict career plans.

I am predicted all A's and A*s and GCSE.

Thank you! :smile:

As an IB student in my last year, I understand fully just how hard it is. I do not know the A-levels, but have heard that IB is more rigourous work-load wise.
Looking at the subjects you are planning on choosing I would say that the A-level subjects seem to be more hardcore and likeable to be acknowledged by university. Theatre is seen as a 'soft' subject so it should really not be taken, psychology is more 'acknowledged'.

Anyways, it depends on whether you want to spread yourself thin over 6 subjects that you actually to have to know in much depth or concentrate on fewer ones.
Original post by JoJoO
I am writing a paper on IB vs 'A' levels - the advantages and disadvantages of doing either one of the exams. Where did you get the information on the marking scheme from? From what I can see the 'A' level is looking for much more specific answers.

Can you please attach a link of your paper after you finish it? I need to choose between IB and A levels next year, and I really need all the opinions I can get.
Reply 26
I have to be as brutally honest with you, being in my final year of IB. Yes, approximately 6 dreadful months to go.

It's not easy, it may start off that way, it surely did for me. However, as I progressed, especially when I went into my second year, I realized how difficult it was. You need to acknowledge these things, before it's too late:
- Juggling six subjects is not easy
- The "core requirements" (EE, TOK, and CAS) are just the icing on the cake :-) (this is a sarcastic smiley). I finished off 80% of my hours in my first year, but I would recommend getting completely out of the way in the first, keep a CLEAR and very SPECIFIC EE question in mind early on, think of it well and hard (that's my only EE-related advice I can give, it isn't that difficult once you go from there)
- Each of your subjects will have a separate internal assessment (or assessments in certain cases) which is probably the most hectic aspect of IB

Pros:
- You'll really grow as a person, and you'll see the growth
- You'll learn things you'll definitely need in the future -- essay writing, and meeting deadlines, etc.
- Personally speaking, doing IB has definitely made me more knowledgable
- Once you get your IAs, and EE out of the way, you'll definitely feel a lot better, and kind of forget how much work you got through (I joke about it being like childbirth)

Cons:
- In most cases, a AAA at A-Level = minimum of 36 points (not easy to achieve - but given your grades, I think you would pull it off, hopefully) -- most people reach 36points with much difficulty. The "average" IB grade is a 30 (which is a considerable amount; when I first started IB I completely underestimated the difficulty of it, and achieving these points)
- It takes a toll on your social life - to a certain extent - whether you like it or not
- The STRESS! I'm not a stressful person, I'm actually very calm (to a fault), but IB has stressed me out at various points -- especially in the beginning of IB2
- The workload does get a little unmanageable, so make sure you pick a school that makes you do the work you NEED to do, as opposed to piling work on for the sake of it. IB is simply hectic as it is, there is no need for the extra stuff.

I may be bias, as I did not start my "IB journey" on the right foot, I was basically "thrown into it". I've only heard of it from a friend who did it, and seemed to sing its praises. Also, I completely underestimated it in my first year, but my classmates who took things seriously since Day One also seem to feel the stress. And I'm not, in any way, trying to say the IB is a bad program, it's not, I'm just saying there are a few things to consider first.

I do wish you luck if you do decide to go for the IB, it is rigorous but in all honesty, right now I don't really regret taking as much as I did a few months ago. It gets bad, but it gets better. If you need to ask me anything regarding the IB, don't hesitate to PM me! :smile:
Original post by brainx
We share the same dream :biggrin:
I also want to do medicine :smile:
I am doing the IB by the way and i still have the same chance even though...
SL is standard level and HL is higher level
You have to do 3 of each... I do Bio, Chem and Eng Lit at HL and Maths, German and Psychology at Standard.
Trust me it is not that bad but just demanding and if you are confident and self motivated then youll surely pass :smile:

:smile:
I also want to study medicine.
not probably in the UK but in China.
Do u think its good ?
I heard europeans do often go to china to study medicine.
Do they recognize the degree in the UK and US ?
any ideas?
Reply 28
Ahhhhhh the classic debate! :rolleyes: Well I did the International Baccalaureate, and I'll make these points clear:

I'm not at all academic

I struggled to keep up with work

Drove myself crazy in the second year

Missed my offer by a point due to cocking up my essay (but I made it anyway. Yay!)

Did I mention I went mad?

But you know what? It was amazingly fantastic. But you don't realise that until you make it to university. I can't help but notice that I am more prepared and less afraid of university work. Writing essays? Two thousands words you say, in three weeks? With references? No problem. I found myself helping course mates who were adjusting from a different system of writing, whilst I have written essays like university ones for the last two years. And asking questions, being 'curious' and reading international papers. Did that like it was in fashion last year. Is that really my work? Reading journals? Sure is nice doing it for fun rather than for a deadline.

My point is, I loved it. I'm your complete opposite, I fell onto it by sheer accident via terrible GCSE grades, but I still flourished. If you are academic, yet need an opening to shout your ideas and explore, the IB teaches you how, and makes you do it right into the early hours of the morning.

It's a life. I can speak French and Italian, in that I can tell a pervert to eff off in Verlan, and tell the Italian cook how much cheese I want on my pizza. I learn how to speak naturally and fluidly, as well as to real people; not just the bored French woman on the tape, but someone from French Guyana, Mozambique or New Caledonia. Then the bizzare feeling on having English in the morning, Physics in the afternoon. It makes you slightly proud to know that you can do both together, mixed in with everything in between.

And about it not being good for Scientists/Engineers/Doctors? I don't agree. Not only will you actually have the edge (they're more lenient if you miss it!) but when you're on the course, you're cultured, broad minded and creative. Isn't that what we want in our top graduates, hmmmm?

I study Geography and Geology, and I doubt I would be getting as much out of my degree if I did A Levels. I didn't just want to learn enough to get to the next stage; I want to succeed in the next stage, and prepare myself for it. I want education because I want it, not to impress others. I'm lucky to be at Southampton, but I would have taken a cow shed if that's where I was lead to.

Cheers :biggrin:
I take HL English and I am very content with it (:
As I'm Dutch, I can't really compare it to A-Levels, but I do know that other kids at my school who just do regular VWO-English (our A-level equivalent) have much less knowledge of the English language as well as the literature.
I really like HL English, because it pushes me out of my comfort zone: when we're analysing a book in class and discussing stylistic devices, everybody is given a chance even though you didn't put your hand up (although this may be subject to the teacher in question!).

Also, I don't find the workload (for English, obvs) is that much. We do a lot in class (even though we are a couple hours per year short!) and what we need to do as homework mostly consists of finishing essays/written tasks and preparing a few chapters from a book. So, when it comes to English HL, the workload is not that intimidating.

I have also found that the two IB teachers at my school are much more motivated to teach and much more involved with their students and how to motivate them than the regular teachers I've seen.

Good luck with your choice!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by shreeyasharma
:smile:
I also want to study medicine.
not probably in the UK but in China.
Do u think its good ?
I heard europeans do often go to china to study medicine.
Do they recognize the degree in the UK and US ?
any ideas?

Hiiii,
Yeah i think they do... I want to study medicine in Germany... Back home.
But I still want to remain here in England to continue...

Good luck...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending