The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by A level Az
Could somebody explain 4)c)ii) to me please? I don't understand the mechanism they are using to get the product?!

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JAN11.PDF
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-MS-JAN11.PDF

I think it's because Y is made up of a hydroxy OH group and a COOH group, elimination always involves the formation of a C=C, this happens as the oh group is removed and the lone pairs on the O attack a H on the middle carbon forming a water molecule and C=C. It's an AS mechanism I think, I hope that helped :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 561
Original post by nmudz_009
Can somebody explain why a racemic mixture is NOT made wen propanone reacts with HCN? It does with Ethanal

I think its because when it propanone reacts with HCN it doesn't form an optical isomer, it doesn't have a chiral centre carbon hence it will not rotate a plane of plane polarised light, whereas ethanal does form an optical isomer as it has a carbon chiral centre where it is able to rotate when passed through a plane of plane polarised light forming a racemic mixture. hope this helps :smile:

Can somebody explain why a racemic mixture is NOT made wen propanone reacts with HCN? It does with Ethanal

Draw the reaction of propanone with KCN it is not a racemate because it does not have 4 different groups on the central Carbon.

With ethanal it forms 4 different groups.
Original post by Parle à ma main
Yeah, that's right, you use moles = mV/ 1000
the V = the original volume + however much water has been added

Is there any specific question from a paper you're thinking of? :smile:

Many of the papers refer to questions like this in the pH calculation section. I just always get stuck.

For example: 2aiii Jan 2011 paper: Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 10.0cm3 of 0.154moldm-3 HCl are added to 990cm3 water.

I mean... What d'you do? It's only two marks and I feel like an idiot for not knowing...

I can figure that the overall cm3 is 1000 and that it is 1dm3 but using the concentration x volume = moles equation, I can't get 1.54x10-3 .... What am I doing wrong?
Anyone got any notes or easy tips for the whole organic synthesis topic? .....We've only recently finished and my A3 poster is far too confusing.
Reply 565
Original post by CollateralElement
Anyone got any notes or easy tips for the whole organic synthesis topic? .....We've only recently finished and my A3 poster is far too confusing.

I just memorised everything, like I'd look at all the reactions that involve a haloalkane and memorise them and then once I've got that I'd do all the reactions of an alkene, I'd love to know if there was an easier less memorising way but everyone I've asked did the same, good luck with it try covering the sections your focusing on and draw what you can remember, don't focus on a lot at a time though.

Reply 566

I would have thought they both do.

Well anyway, its due to the moecule being planer. So the CN Nucleophile can attack from above and below the plane, equally.
Reply 567
Original post by CollateralElement
Many of the papers refer to questions like this in the pH calculation section. I just always get stuck.

For example: 2aiii Jan 2011 paper: Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 10.0cm3 of 0.154moldm-3 HCl are added to 990cm3 water.

I mean... What d'you do? It's only two marks and I feel like an idiot for not knowing...

I can figure that the overall cm3 is 1000 and that it is 1dm3 but using the concentration x volume = moles equation, I can't get 1.54x10-3 .... What am I doing wrong?

Hey well firstly, convert that "10.0cm3 of 0.154moldm-3 HCl"
In to moles. Then just throw it Into the n= MV/1000 formula! See what you get :smile: rather mean for 2 marks tbh
Reply 568
Original post by Doctor.
I would have thought they both do.

Well anyway, its due to the moecule being planer. So the CN Nucleophile can attack from above and below the plane, equally.

You won't get the mark for saying that. You have to say that the C=O bond/carbonyl group is planar. :smile:
Reply 569
Original post by Glacier
You won't get the mark for saying that. You have to say that the C=O bond/carbonyl group is planar. :smile:

Fair enough :smile: thank you!
Reply 570
Does anyone know where to find any of the old past papers? They'd be pretty good practice but the AQA website have taken them all down :o:
Original post by Toph
Does anyone know where to find any of the old past papers? They'd be pretty good practice but the AQA website have taken them all down :o:

http://www.freeexampapers.com/
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 572
what mechanisms and conditions do we need to know?
Reply 573
Original post by sconter
what mechanisms and conditions do we need to know?

Practically all conditions for every mechanism, only a few mechanisms though!
Reply 574
Original post by Doctor.
Practically all conditions for every mechanism, only a few mechanisms though!

nuc addition, elect sub, addition elimination, is that it?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 575
Do acyl chlorides produce misty fumes when added to water?

Reply 576
Original post by sconter
nuc addition, elect addition, addition elimination, is that it?

Electrophilic substitution for the benzene side of chemistry and nucleophilic substitution

Reply 577
Original post by sconter
nuc addition, elect addition, addition elimination, is that it?
electrophilic substitution

Original post by Baraa3
Do acyl chlorides produce misty fumes when added to water?

I think so, does produce HCl
Reply 578
Original post by Baraa3
Electrophilic substitution for the benzene side of chemistry and nucleophilic substitution

k ty
Reply 579

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending