Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    very confused about organic names!
    so propanamide can't be written as propanEamide
    and aminobutan-1,4-dioic acid is wrong!!! I need to put the "e" in butane and write aminobutane-1,4-dioic acid.......why???
    I cant get rid of these minor naming mistakes? Any help as to when to put the E and when not to!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 768mango)
    very confused about organic names!
    so propanamide can't be written as propanEamide
    and aminobutan-1,4-dioic acid is wrong!!! I need to put the "e" in butane and write aminobutane-1,4-dioic acid.......why???
    I cant get rid of these minor naming mistakes? Any help as to when to put the E and when not to!
    It's so pedantic. Also when do you use phenyl and when do you use benzene?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rss.914)
    in the cgp book it says to get from haloalkane to alkene you use naoh/ethanol under reflux so its elimination....
    Be a little wary of CGP their books at level are NOT the best. If multiple books don't +mention reflux - you're safe to give It a miss
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could someone pls name what 1 and 2 are. I think 1 is alkyl benzene, is that right? And what's 2?
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	156222  
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    Could someone pls name what 1 and 2 are. I think 1 is alkyl benzene, is that right? And what's 2?
    isn't the one an alcohol?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    I believe 1 is phenyl-ethanone since it's a ketone. And 2 is phenyl-ethan-2-ol I think! Can anyone confirm?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz876)
    I believe 1 is phenyl-ethanone since it's a ketone. And 2 is phenyl-ethan-2-ol I think! Can anyone confirm?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    Sounds right, although the -2- are not really needed, since there is -where else the OH bonds can go!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got to learn all the organic synthesis things today....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the double post but what's the mechanism for getting a secondary amine from a primary one?

I know you add excess conc. ammonia under pressure (2 moles) to get from a haloalkane to a primary amine but then I'm confused.

Does the lone pair on the N attracting a C from another haloalkane?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excell)
    Sorry for the double post but what's the mechanism for getting a secondary amine from a primary one?

I know you add excess conc. ammonia under pressure (2 moles) to get from a haloalkane to a primary amine but then I'm confused.

Does the lone pair on the N attracting a C from another haloalkane?
    Yeah nuc substitution occurs. Lone pair on N to the +ve C atom on the haloalkane
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please explain to me question 9b from 2010 jan?
    I don't understand the mark scheme and why did they put CH3CN ??
    Can't they make CH3Cl from this ?
    CH3CH2NH2+ HCL---->CH3CL + CH3NH2
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatever9999)
    Can anyone please explain to me question 9b from 2010 jan?
    I don't understand the mark scheme and why did they put CH3CN ??
    Can't they make CH3Cl from this ?
    CH3CH2NH2+ HCL---->CH3CL + CH3NH2
    This question is all about knowing your aliphatic synthetic routes.
    they want to make a CH3CH2NH2 molecule which is a primary amine and they start with methane which is an alkane, there are two way to do this one by going from an alkane straight to a primary amine using NH3/ethanol in refulux but that only one step they want a three step synthesis which is:

step 1 you are going from an alkane to a chloroalkane and this happens using Cl2in UV light

step 2 you are going chloroalkane to a nitrile using HCN(aq) in alcohol using reflux

step 3 you are going from a nitrile to a primary amine using Na/ethanol in reflux

its really just knowing your synthetic routes really well hope this helped
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baraa3)
    they want to make a CH3CH2NH2 molecule which is a primary amine and they start with methane which is an alkane, there are two way to do this one by going from an alkane straight to a primary amine using NH3/ethanol in refulux but that only one step they want a three step synthesis which is:

step 1 you are going from an alkane to a chloroalkane and this happens using Cl2in UV light

step 2 you are going chloroalkane to a nitrile using HCN(aq) in alcohol using reflux

step 3 you are going from a nitrile to a primary amine using Na/ethanol in reflux

The only mechanism we NEED to know going from Alkane ---> haloalkane is UV light and Cl2 others are not required to know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor.)
    The only mechanism we NEED to know going from Alkane ---> haloalkane is UV light and Cl2 others are not required to know
    yes thats right thats the only mechanism required to know for an alkane reaction
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baraa3)

Shokrun 3iraqiaa ??

Will go over them ,its the organic synthesis chapter right??
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there is any chance that the grade boundaries will be low? It seems like the boundaries for January 2012 were quite high..though I guess that means this will be a harder paper
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shokrun 3iraqiaa ??

The organic synthesis bit in the nelson thornes book is not that good so if you have it, use the CGPrevision guide
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shokrun 3iraqiaa ??

walaayhimich yh its chapter 10
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    can someone help me on question 1e on the june 10 paper..

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...W-QP-JUN10.PDF
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0338.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	314.1 KB 
ID:	156262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0351.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	499.0 KB 
ID:	156263

this is what i use to learn aliphatic and aromatic synthetic routes, just bear in mind that this is for all exam boards, so in the picture of aliphatic we dont need to know diol and dibromoalkane, ketone is not on here because its reactions are similar to aldehyde. for aromatic we only need to know 4 reactions, nitration, alkylation, acylation and reduction not diazotisation, chlorination or azo-coupling. hope this helps

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 7, 2014
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.