The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 768mango
very confused about organic names!
so propanamide can't be written as propanEamide
and aminobutan-1,4-dioic acid is wrong!!! I need to put the "e" in butane and write aminobutane-1,4-dioic acid.......why???
I cant get rid of these minor naming mistakes? Any help as to when to put the E and when not to!

It's so pedantic. Also when do you use phenyl and when do you use benzene?
Reply 601
Original post by rss.914
in the cgp book it says to get from haloalkane to alkene you use naoh/ethanol under reflux so its elimination....

Be a little wary of CGP their books at level are NOT the best. If multiple books don't +mention reflux - you're safe to give It a miss
Reply 602
Could someone pls name what 1 and 2 are. I think 1 is alkyl benzene, is that right? And what's 2?
Original post by popnit
Could someone pls name what 1 and 2 are. I think 1 is alkyl benzene, is that right? And what's 2?

isn't the one an alcohol?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Reply 604
Original post by popnit

I believe 1 is phenyl-ethanone since it's a ketone. And 2 is phenyl-ethan-2-ol I think! Can anyone confirm?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 605
Original post by loz876
I believe 1 is phenyl-ethanone since it's a ketone. And 2 is phenyl-ethan-2-ol I think! Can anyone confirm?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Sounds right, although the -2- are not really needed, since there is -where else the OH bonds can go!
Reply 606
Got to learn all the organic synthesis things today....
Reply 607
Sorry for the double post but what's the mechanism for getting a secondary amine from a primary one?

I know you add excess conc. ammonia under pressure (2 moles) to get from a haloalkane to a primary amine but then I'm confused.

Does the lone pair on the N attracting a C from another haloalkane?
Reply 608
Original post by excell
Sorry for the double post but what's the mechanism for getting a secondary amine from a primary one?

I know you add excess conc. ammonia under pressure (2 moles) to get from a haloalkane to a primary amine but then I'm confused.

Does the lone pair on the N attracting a C from another haloalkane?

Yeah nuc substitution occurs. Lone pair on N to the +ve C atom on the haloalkane
Can anyone please explain to me question 9b from 2010 jan?
I don't understand the mark scheme and why did they put CH3CN ??
Can't they make CH3Cl from this ?
CH3CH2NH2+ HCL---->CH3CL + CH3NH2
Reply 610
Original post by Whatever9999
Can anyone please explain to me question 9b from 2010 jan?
I don't understand the mark scheme and why did they put CH3CN ??
Can't they make CH3Cl from this ?
CH3CH2NH2+ HCL---->CH3CL + CH3NH2

This question is all about knowing your aliphatic synthetic routes.
they want to make a CH3CH2NH2 molecule which is a primary amine and they start with methane which is an alkane, there are two way to do this one by going from an alkane straight to a primary amine using NH3/ethanol in refulux but that only one step they want a three step synthesis which is:

step 1 you are going from an alkane to a chloroalkane and this happens using Cl2in UV light

step 2 you are going chloroalkane to a nitrile using HCN(aq) in alcohol using reflux

step 3 you are going from a nitrile to a primary amine using Na/ethanol in reflux

its really just knowing your synthetic routes really well hope this helped :smile:
Reply 611
Original post by Baraa3
they want to make a CH3CH2NH2 molecule which is a primary amine and they start with methane which is an alkane, there are two way to do this one by going from an alkane straight to a primary amine using NH3/ethanol in refulux but that only one step they want a three step synthesis which is:

step 1 you are going from an alkane to a chloroalkane and this happens using Cl2in UV light

step 2 you are going chloroalkane to a nitrile using HCN(aq) in alcohol using reflux

step 3 you are going from a nitrile to a primary amine using Na/ethanol in reflux

its really just knowing your synthetic routes really well hope this helped :smile:

The only mechanism we NEED to know going from Alkane ---> haloalkane is UV light and Cl2 :smile: others are not required to know
Reply 612
Original post by Doctor.
The only mechanism we NEED to know going from Alkane ---> haloalkane is UV light and Cl2 :smile: others are not required to know

yes thats right thats the only mechanism required to know for an alkane reaction
Original post by Baraa3

Shokrun :biggrin: 3iraqiaa ??

Will go over them ,its the organic synthesis chapter right??
Do you think there is any chance that the grade boundaries will be low? It seems like the boundaries for January 2012 were quite high..though I guess that means this will be a harder paper :frown:
Reply 615

The organic synthesis bit in the nelson thornes book is not that good so if you have it, use the CGPrevision guide :smile:
Reply 616

walaayhimich yh its chapter 10 :wink:
Reply 617
can someone help me on question 1e on the june 10 paper..

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Reply 618
IMAG0338.jpgIMAG0351.jpg

this is what i use to learn aliphatic and aromatic synthetic routes, just bear in mind that this is for all exam boards, so in the picture of aliphatic we dont need to know diol and dibromoalkane, ketone is not on here because its reactions are similar to aldehyde. for aromatic we only need to know 4 reactions, nitration, alkylation, acylation and reduction not diazotisation, chlorination or azo-coupling. hope this helps:smile:
Reply 619
Original post by rss.914
can someone help me on question 1e on the june 10 paper..

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

one of the H on the CH3 ethanal molecule will bond with the O on C=O breaking the double bond anf forming an OH functional group where the remaining ethanol molecule CH2CHO will bond to the C on the CHOH from molecule X, hope i havent confused you

Quick Reply