The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM4 - 13th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doctor.

haha thats true, it doesn't work well for me because I resort to: "errr, I know this crap give me a harder question"-I actually didnt know the answer lol. If you're not like me, it'll work well! :tongue:

I dnt kno, maybe il feel like that after I've revised thoroughly. I haven't done any past papers yet so Im not sure how to phrase answers to get all the marks I guess.

Oh I'm doing edexcel chem btw, although I'm using the aqa for question practise
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
:hi:

June 10

It wasn't super hard or anything... I just made lots of bad mistakes :/
I forgot stuff like how AlCl3 is an electophile, the definition of a racemate, etc

Isn't AlCl3 a catalyst for some acylation reaction? :tongue:
Original post by MuffinMonster
Isn't AlCl3 a catalyst for some acylation reaction? :tongue:

Oh god I don't know fml XD
Reply 123
Original post by Bright.Inspiration.
:hi:

June 10

It wasn't super hard or anything... I just made lots of bad mistakes :/
I forgot stuff like how AlCl3 is an electophile, the definition of a racemate, etc

AlCl3 isn't an electrophile, it's the catalyst that is used to generate the electrophile for electrophilic substitution reactions involving benzene. E.g. AlCl3 + CH3COCl \rightarrow AlCl4- + CH3CO+ (the electrophile)
The AlCl3 removes a chlorine atom to form a positively charged electrophile, and the catalyst is regenerated by the H+ that leaves the benzene ring. So, AlCl4- + H+ \rightarrow AlCl3 + HCl
Original post by Glacier
AlCl3 isn't an electrophile, it's the catalyst that is used to generate the electrophile for electrophilic substitution reactions involving benzene. E.g. AlCl3 + CH3COCl \rightarrow AlCl4- + CH3CO+ (the electrophile)
The AlCl3 removes a chlorine atom to form a positively charged electrophile, and the catalyst is regenerated by the H+ that leaves the benzene ring. So, AlCl4- + H+ \rightarrow AlCl3 + HCl

Oh,
Thank you for correcting me :smile:
Reply 125
CHEM4 isn't fun :frown: Got 2/3 more sections worth of questions to do! :angry:
Original post by Doctor.
CHEM4 isn't fun :frown: Got 2/3 more sections worth of questions to do! :angry:

CHEM4's a lot of fun :dance:

Much more fun than CHEM5 :sad:
Reply 127
Original post by thegodofgod
CHEM4's a lot of fun :dance:

Much more fun than CHEM5 :sad:

Not true! CHEM5 is just learn everything lol. CHEM4 just mind****s' you when you hit NMR!
Original post by Doctor.
Not true! CHEM5 is just learn everything lol. CHEM4 just mind****s' you when you hit NMR!

But you have to admit Organic Synthesis is :love:

That's why I hate CHEM5 - too much learning/memorising - I'd rather understand why something happens the way it does, which makes me learn a lot better :colondollar:.
Reply 129
Original post by thegodofgod
But you have to admit Organic Synthesis is :love:

That's why I hate CHEM5 - too much learning/memorising - I'd rather understand why something happens the way it does, which makes me learn a lot better :colondollar:.

Organic Synthesis in the bane of my life...not really but it's difficult lol. Then again when I do understand what is going on or it's obvious what the route is it's amazing :love:. I agree about the learning better though :h: CHEM4 is nice when you understand it! :biggrin:
Casually sitting 63.3% of my Chemistry A level in summer... knew I should have revised last year!!
Reply 131
Original post by itspossible
Casually sitting 63.3% of my Chemistry A level in summer... knew I should have revised last year!!

I did this is January...actually it was 75% lol :s-smilie:. But you get the point :tongue:. Trust me it's possible :h:
I have made all my notes - just wanted to ask if anyone could give me any tips on the best way to revise the material. I'm finding it a lot harder than when I revised for Chem 5 in January, as I could pretty much just learn the stuff where as this is more application based...

Any pointers would be much appreciated! :biggrin:
Original post by Doctor.
I did this is January...actually it was 75% lol :s-smilie:. But you get the point :tongue:. Trust me it's possible :h:

You seem to know your stuff! :wink: - see above
Original post by Doctor.

Oh lol I saw on AQA its 20% for each A2, and then 23.3% for CHEM2... might not have read it right though :wink:
Original post by skylight17
I have made all my notes - just wanted to ask if anyone could give me any tips on the best way to revise the material. I'm finding it a lot harder than when I revised for Chem 5 in January, as I could pretty much just learn the stuff where as this is more application based...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1969799

This is what my chemistry teacher told me to do!!! :P
Reply 136
Can anyone send me anything for Organic Synthesis?! :'(
Original post by itspossible
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1969799

This is what my chemistry teacher told me to do!!! :P

So basically I need to do a F**K loads of questions! sounds thrilling :rolleyes:
So basically I need to do a F**K loads of questions! sounds thrilling :rolleyes:

Indeed :P I find it the best way to learn :wink: by getting it all wrong!!
Reply 139

To be honest, I think there is a way to get a good mark in each module.

CHEM1: It's tiny so revising the material isn't hard. Just master if they try to be a little...off topic (January 2012 paper lol).

CHEM2: Learn + Past Papers + make sure you can do all sorts of calculations! there are loads in CHEM2.

CHEM4: Not a clue, I am doing it right now!

CHEM5: STICK TO THE SPEC LIKE GLUE. The topics are so...synoptic. Just make sure you don't go learning random off spec stuff because it will not come up. The specification actually tells you exactly what will and will not be on the exam!

That's about it I guess :colondollar: Hope it helps :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending