Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which would you rather your club wins, Europa League or Fa Cup?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Well?
    Europa League
    50.00%
    Fa Cup
    50.00%

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    the cup everytime.

i don't care how 'hard' either competition is, the cup isn't the 2nd tier of anything, it's the most historic football trophy in the world. it's got the prestige - the europa league does not.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by CB91)
    Don't forget Atletico aswell.
    Of course....I was just about to remark that there are 3 Spanish teams in the europa league and 2 in the Champs League (of course).

Atletico Madrid v Valencia final would be good for the competition and depending the draw tomorrow perhaps a Barcelona v Real Madrid final? The Spaniards are very much conquering Europe at the moment.

Chelsea may have a chance at reaching the final if they get handed a favourable draw e.g. Apoel and then either Marseilles or Bayern in the semis but I don't rate their chances against Barcelona.

But saying that, all big teams will be beaten eventually. I think Chelsea will be chuffed to even reach the semis.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    Of course....I was just about to remark that there are 3 Spanish teams in the europa league and 2 in the Champs League (of course).

Atletico Madrid v Valencia final would be good for the competition and depending the draw tomorrow perhaps a Barcelona v Real Madrid final? The Spaniards are very much conquering Europe at the moment.

Chelsea may have a chance at reaching the final if they get handed a favourable draw e.g. Apoel and then either Marseilles or Bayern in the semis but I don't rate their chances against Barcelona.

But saying that, all big teams will be beaten eventually. I think Chelsea will be chuffed to even reach the semis.
    Atletico have actually learnt how to defend so I expect they'll start to really challenge for the CL spots and the EL. Valencia are the favourites though imo.

I wouldn't like to see a Barca - Real final tbh. Real would turn it into a very dirty match and so in turn Barca would start going down easy. Mourinho has ruined the Clasico's in terms of how enjoyable the football is (except for the odd game). It seems like their game plan constants of "break Messi's legs" which is a shame really because pre-2010 the Clasico's were fantastic to watch.

Barca v Milan and Bayern v Madrid, with a Barca v Bayern final would be a brilliant. :coma:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously Europa league. Pompey won the fa cup ffs
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Barca v Milan and Bayern v Madrid, with a Barca v Bayern final would be a brilliant. :coma:
    But Bayern wouldn't stand a chance, the last time Bayern went up against Barca they were blown apart. Barca and Milan might produce a game though.

edit: they put 4 past Bayern in 1 half if I remember correctly, the whole tie was over in 45 mins
    • 37 followers

(Original post by martin jol)
    the cup everytime.

i don't care how 'hard' either competition is, the cup isn't the 2nd tier of anything, it's the most historic football trophy in the world. it's got the prestige - the europa league does not.
    I feel that wway about the FA Cup but the reality is that the Cup has very much lost it's shine and prestige over the years thanks in no small part to the Premier League becoming the big global brand that it is, the expansion of the Champions League and the fact that certain "big clubs" view the FA Cup as an unwelcome/unwanted distraction. I think United really set the tone for this mindset back in 1999/2000 when they withdrew from the tournament to go and play in the FIFA World Club Cup thingy.

The fact is had my team Man City not finished in the top 4 last season, the season would have still been considered an epic failure irrespective of winning the FA Cup. For the top 4 clubs winning the FA Cup only means something if it's achieved in conjunction with something else e.g. winning the title, winning the Champions League, qualifying for the CL. The same for the Carling Cup.

The FA Cup and Carling Cup may well be a bigger deal to clubs outside the top 5 or 6 who will otherwise not be challenging for the title and have no realistice chance of qualifying for Europe via the league. I would categorically say the FA Cup is 100 times more prestigious than the Carling Cup but given that both trophies culminate in a showpiece final at Wembley and award a spot in the Europa League to the winners, on paper there isn't really anything to differentiate their significance. If the FA Cup is worth more then really it should offer more by way of reward than the Carling Cup. I think Platini was keen to allow cup winners in the Champions League but this idea was quickly shot down.

As for the Eurropa League, it would have meant nothing to City or United if they failed to win the league. Clearly neither team wants to give up the title to the other given the rivalry and given the fact that for the last 20 years of the Premier League, Man United have pretty much been the team to beat. It is essentially the title they made famous and they're not prepared to give it up without a fight hence why there's been so little to differentiate the two apart.

If City won the Europa League but had lost the title to United having topped the table for so long, there would be bitter disappointment. Like the other cups the Europa League only means anything to the big clubs if it's achieved in conjunction with something else.
    • 37 followers

(Original post by CB91)
    Atletico have actually learnt how to defend so I expect they'll start to really challenge for the CL spots and the EL. Valencia are the favourites though imo.

I wouldn't like to see a Barca - Real final tbh. Real would turn it into a very dirty match and so in turn Barca would start going down easy. Mourinho has ruined the Clasico's in terms of how enjoyable the football is (except for the odd game). It seems like their game plan constants of "break Messi's legs" which is a shame really because pre-2010 the Clasico's were fantastic to watch.

Barca v Milan final would be good. But I can envisage Real Madrid winning it with Mourinhio using it as a parting gift before departing for the City job.

Even if City win the league I don't think Mancini is right for the long term. The manner in which we've been knocked out of four competitions this season has been a bitter pill to swallow. On paper City had the team to be way out in front of the title race, to have reached deep into the knockout stages of the Champions League and looking sharp on all fronts. Of course, you can't win them all and it is still early days but given how much money has been invested and the quality of players on show, it isn't unreasonable to have expected City to have at least been challenging on all fronts up until the final hurdles and in all honesty not reaching the knockout stages of the CL, not reaching the quarter final of EL, losing the Liverpool in the CC (who are struggling in the league) and being frighteningly inconsistent in the league just isn't good enough for a team who are seeking to impose themselves domestically, continentally and evenn globally. sure City are still a rising force but this season really could have been an epic season to remember but there's now a real danger that all the hard work is being undone when it matters the most.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Barca v Milan final would be good. But I can envisage Real Madrid winning it with Mourinhio using it as a parting gift before departing for the City job.

Even if City win the league I don't think Mancini is right for the long term. The manner in which we've been knocked out of four competitions this season has been a bitter pill to swallow. On paper City had the team to be way out in front of the title race, to have reached deep into the knockout stages of the Champions League and looking sharp on all fronts. Of course, you can't win them all and it is still early days but given how much money has been invested and the quality of players on show, it isn't unreasonable to have expected City to have at least been challenging on all fronts up until the final hurdles and in all honesty not reaching the knockout stages of the CL, not reaching the quarter final of EL, losing the Liverpool in the CC (who are struggling in the league) and being frighteningly inconsistent in the league just isn't good enough for a team who are seeking to impose themselves domestically, continentally and evenn globally. sure City are still a rising force but this season really could have been an epic season to remember but there's now a real danger that all the hard work is being undone when it matters the most.
    I don't think Madrid will win it if they have to play Barca at any stage, they just seem to bottle it when they don't have the lions share of the ball. IMO, they need to rely on Bayern/Milan/APOEL (:awesome:) knocking Barca out for them.

City are a work in progress and should be expecting to at least make the KO rounds next year. I think expecting to get to the latter rounds in your first season is a bit optimistic tbh.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artery08)
    But Bayern wouldn't stand a chance, the last time Bayern went up against Barca they were blown apart. Barca and Milan might produce a game though.

edit: they put 4 past Bayern in 1 half if I remember correctly, the whole tie was over in 45 mins
    I don't know about that, Bayern have improved a lot of the last few years, it's mainly their inconsistency which is costing them in the Bundesliga. Over 1 or 2 matches they could spring a surprise, they certainly have the quality to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    and when you think of winning the double or treble, it's always the league + either the fa cup or the champions league. never the league cup or the europa league.

and imagine if league cup winners got into the champions league - milan hosting birmingham city, they wouldn't know what hit them
    • 37 followers

and when you think of winning the double or treble, it's always the league + either the fa cup or the champions league. never the league cup or the europa league.

and imagine if league cup winners got into the champions league - milan hosting birmingham city, they wouldn't know what hit them
    Well even when Pompey won it and then played in Europe it was a joke as it was with Birmingham City this season or with Milwall a few years back when got to the final. Don't get me wrong they earned the right by winning the cup or getting to the final but still it was pretty embarassing to watch. To think that Birmingham City were in Europe this season and the likes of Liverpool, Juventus and Aston Villa weren't.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Neither really. Would rather win the league or the UCL.

Europa League I see as a second rate tournament. FA Cup just doesn't feel like it used to.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well even when Pompey won it and then played in Europe it was a joke as it was with Birmingham City this season or with Milwall a few years back when got to the final. Don't get me wrong they earned the right by winning the cup or getting to the final but still it was pretty embarassing to watch. To think that Birmingham City were in Europe this season and the likes of Liverpool, Juventus and Aston Villa weren't.
    yeah but any old **** makes the europa league so it's not that big a deal
    • 37 followers

yeah but any old **** makes the europa league so it's not that big a deal
    Well as I keep saying in the other forums, I think there are a few options to rectify this issue:

1) Give the winners of the EL a spot in the Champions League for the next season,

2) play the fixture on a Saturday similarly to the Champions League final.

3) Consider hosting it in bigger venues or perhaps in the same venue as the Champions League final (but obviously with a couple of weeks apart).

4) Axe the Europa League/merge it into the Champions League. Scale back the Europa League fixtures into some sort of a qualfying tournament for the Champions League to be played in the off season similarly to how the Intertoto Cup was used for UEFA Cup entry. Ultimately the Champions League is the most prestigious club competition in world football and the most watched and everyone wants to play in it.

Even with the fixture pile up that would cause in the off season you'll find teams queing up to play in it and who will be prepared to make sacrifices, stretch resources for the reward of being in the Champions League. I mean even with the EL there is no direct entry as teams still have to play a qualifying round or two or maybe three.

If you include every single fixture then winning the EL from start to finish is the equivalent of half a domestic season. And for what? a trophy that even the biggest clubs in Europe deride re: United and City?

Sure my idea of a pre-season mega qualifying tournament for the champions league sounds exhausting but as I said teams will be desperate to compete in the knowledge that the reward on offer is a place in the champions league and the riches it comes with.
    • 37 followers

The Europa League is pointless imo and I'm not saying that as sour grapes. Even City and United didn't take it seriously enough and of the teams left in it only 3 are what I would label as clubs with any sort of a profile (Blibao, Atletico Madrid and Valencia). The rest are just making up the numbers.

If City played Sporting Lisbon and United against Bilbao every week for the next 20 weeks or so, City and United would win the majority of their fixtures I have no doubt about it. Bilbao I'll giive credit but Sporting Lisbon? In the second half they completely capitulated and the gulf in class was there for all to see which makes the spineless performance in the first half and in the first leg all the more sickening. The season before against Dynamo Kiev, I mean hardly world beaters are they? Sure City will improve with experience but I do not believe for one moment Dynamo and Sporting are better teams than City.

If this were the FA Cup it would be the equivalent of a Championship team knocking out a top 4 Premier League team. It just makes the performance against Porto andthat last gasp win against Villareal completely futile. City have a pis poor record in Europe which needs to be turned around ASAP in thenext couple of years but I don't think we'll get anywhere in Europe under Mancini as god a manager as he is.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    Tough one, arguably the fa cup is tougher here, potential opponents: man utd, city, arsenal, chelsea, tottenham, liverpool, newcastle, etc etc. Although you do get a few league 1 sides thrown in your pathway sometimes, still, to win an Fa cup, its pretty likely that you'll have to face at least one of the big guns from the premier league along the way. Having said that, the quality of opponents you face in the Europa league is probably more consistent than in the fa cup.
    I suppose if you're looking at it from any club's point of view, then that's a fair argument - however, from the point of view of a Chelsea fan, there are maybe four teams we wouldn't want to face in the FA Cup, whereas there are multiple hard games in the Europa League. Just look at Chelsea's cup run this season...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    FA Cup first as it give's you a europa league place and then the next season win the europa league!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.