The Student Room Group

Do UK students get free tuition anywhere?!

This might be an obvious question but do UK students get free tuition in any other countries? I am thinking of studying medicine (in a few years) and someone suggested that I apply for Trinity college Dublin as I would not have to pay any fees, is this correct? and is there any way for me not to pay tuition fees in Scotland or something? thanks
Reply 1
What part of the UK are you living in?
Reply 2
England
Reply 3
As an English student you won't get free tuition in the UK.

As an EU student you will have to pay the same tuition fees as home students do in any EU country outside the UK. Some EU countries will have free tuition. Bear in mind though, that although you may get free tuition in an EU country you won't get any financial maintenance support and will have to completely fund your living costs yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Shani
As an English student you won't get free tuition in the UK.

As an EU student you will have to pay the same tuition fees as home students do in any EU country outside the UK. Some EU countries will have free tuition. Bear in mind though, that although you may get free tuition in an EU country you won't get any financial maintenance support and will have to completely fund your living costs yourself.

Thank you, do you know if the Republic of Ireland has free tuition? Or if the tuition fees would be significantly less that the £9000 a year I would have to pay in the uk?
Reply 5
Not off the top of my head, no. I'm sure a couple of google searches should come up with a lot of info. :smile:

Just a quick quote from the RoI wiki on education. Bear in mind I don't know how current this is.

[edit]Fees
Under the "Free Fees Initiative" the Exchequer will pay the tuition fees of students who meet relevant course, nationality and residence requirements as set down under the initiative. These requirements include:[2]
Holding EU nationality, or are a national of member country of the European Economic Area or Switzerland, or those who have been granted official refugee status.
Having been a resident in an EU Member State for at least three of the five years preceding entry to the course.
Are not undertaking a second undergraduate course.
Students are required to pay a "registration fee" on entry to their courses. These charges cover costs such as equipment usage, administration fees and exam fees. Charges for 2008/09 were on average €850 per student, but have been raised to €1,500 per student for the 2009/10 school year.[3] These charges have been labelled as "unofficial fees", and University Heads have admitted that "student registration charges are fees by any other name".[21]
There has recently been talk of reintroducing third-level fees with calls from DCU President, Ferdinand von Prondzynski, to do so in order to protect university funding. Minister for Education Batt O'Keeffe has conceded that there is a possibility of the reintroduction of fees in some form.[22]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/12/english-students-escape-tuition-fee-rise

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Reply 7
Original post by rac1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/12/english-students-escape-tuition-fee-rise

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Thank you! I think that article may be out of date as someone recently told me that English students had to pay £9000 per year even in scottish univerities!
This is helpful about the irish trinity http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/fees/
Reply 9
Original post by JackP1995
Thank you! I think that article may be out of date as someone recently told me that English students had to pay £9000 per year even in scottish univerities!

ooooops:colondollar::colondollar: yes a year and 2 days
The current fees are €2500 to all Irish universities. There will not be full tuition fees. There's a big 'but' though. Academic requirements are far higher here for competitive courses, especially in Trinity. For Med in Trinity you need A*A*A*A at A-Level, preferably A*A*A*A*. You cannot present Media, General or ICT as a subject.
Original post by StarsAreFixed
The current fees are €2500 to all Irish universities. There will not be full tuition fees. There's a big 'but' though. Academic requirements are far higher here for competitive courses, especially in Trinity. For Med in Trinity you need A*A*A*A at A-Level, preferably A*A*A*A*. You cannot present Media, General or ICT as a subject.

trinity dublin?.... its BCC mate
That's matriculation. Not scoring. BCC will get you nowhere. Combined with the HPAT you need 715 points, around that. That means getting as close to 600 points as possible. The closer you get to 500 the lesser your chances and the greater the strain of getting an impossibly high HPAT score. You need to get 550 or more to compete, preferably the perfect A*A*A*A* which is 600. BCC is 320, out of the question. Getting that means you qualify to compete for a place, not that it's in the bag.

Quick Reply

Latest