The Student Room Group

Newcastle to Alton Tower

Hi all,

I plan a group trip to Alton Tower Resort from Newcastle in the last week of May 2012 for about 3 days. I tried to find any train tickets to Uttoxeter but the only ones I found are for about 88 pounds, both ways. However this is quite a lot and I have heard about people who travelled from Newcastle to London that managed to spend about 30-50 pounds.

This is actually my first time traveling by train to London from Newcastle and I'm pretty clueless so I would really apreciate any help! :]

Thanks!
Split your tickets! The £88.00 is for a flexible, off-peak, ticket. There are several stations that you can travel into that offer a bus service to Alton Towers. The most frequent being from Stoke-on-Trent.

http://www.altontowers.com/events/how-to-find-us/

I have had a look at the train journey Newcastle - Stoke there are options which suggest changing at York and Manchester. If you buy tickets separately Newcastle - York, York - Manchester and then Manchester - Stoke there are still cheaper fares left. I have just found a total journey for £37.00.

Also if you have a 16-25 railcard this will discount the fare too, if not it may be worth looking into as they are valid for a year.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/
Reply 2
Thanks a lot!
Reply 3
Original post by Ferdinandfrog
Split your tickets! The £88.00 is for a flexible, off-peak, ticket. There are several stations that you can travel into that offer a bus service to Alton Towers. The most frequent being from Stoke-on-Trent.

http://www.altontowers.com/events/how-to-find-us/

I have had a look at the train journey Newcastle - Stoke there are options which suggest changing at York and Manchester. If you buy tickets separately Newcastle - York, York - Manchester and then Manchester - Stoke there are still cheaper fares left. I have just found a total journey for £37.00.

Also if you have a 16-25 railcard this will discount the fare too, if not it may be worth looking into as they are valid for a year.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/

Thanks a lot!
Actually, I found a very cheap tickets for about 20 pounds and it's from Newcastle to London King Cross. Do you know how should I get from LKC to Alton Tower?
Reply 4
Original post by Merro

I plan a group trip to Alton Tower Resort from Newcastle in the last week of May 2012 for about 3 days.

This is actually my first time traveling by train to London from Newcastle and I'm pretty clueless so I would really apreciate any help! :]

Thanks!

You know that Alton Towers isn't anywhere near London, right? If that's the case, maybe you're thinking of Thorpe Park or Chessington? Or even the town of Alton in Hampshire? There is definitely no theme park there. Alton Towers is between Stoke-on-Trent and Derby, just over an hour north of Birmingham. Much closer to Newcastle than London!

Double check the Alton Towers website to make sure you're going to the right place....
Reply 5
Original post by gemini89
You know that Alton Towers isn't anywhere near London, right? If that's the case, maybe you're thinking of Thorpe Park or Chessington? Or even the town of Alton in Hampshire? There is definitely no theme park there. Alton Towers is between Stoke-on-Trent and Derby, just over an hour north of Birmingham. Much closer to Newcastle than London!

Double check the Alton Towers website to make sure you're going to the right place....

This.

Alton Towers is almost 200 miles away from London, you definitely do not want to be getting a train all the way down to there to just come back on yourself! As said before, you really need to get a train to either Stoke or Uttoxeter, and then getting a bus from there. It won't be that cheap though, and will take a few hours to get there from Newcastle, so you will need to leave early if you want to make a full day of it, or consider stopping over at one of the hotels so that you can make your trip more worthwhile? I'm not sure about this year but I know in previous years, they have offered a 'come back tomorrow' ticket for around a fiver, so you can spend another day at the park after staying over.
Reply 6
Not hugely relevant but Stoke is one of the grimmest places I've ever been.
Original post by Emma_B
It won't be that cheap though, and will take a few hours to get there from Newcastle, so you will need to leave early if you want to make a full day of it, or consider stopping over at one of the hotels so that you can make your trip more worthwhile? I'm not sure about this year but I know in previous years, they have offered a 'come back tomorrow' ticket for around a fiver, so you can spend another day at the park after staying over.

If you'd read the original post you'd have noticed that the OP is planning on staying for 3 days.

I'll add my name to the several of you already advising the OP to not try to travel through London, unless you want to add about 4 hours each way to the journey.
Reply 8
Newcastle to Derby is a direct train with no changes, and there is a regular bus from derby to alton towers which takes an hour :smile:

just found a fare on the trainline for 22.50 each way :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mczakk
Newcastle to Derby is a direct train with no changes, and there is a regular bus from derby to alton towers which takes an hour :smile:

just found a fare on the trainline for 22.50 each way :smile:

This, just found it now!

Thanks a lot for all your advices. I know that Alton Tower is definitelly not near London and I agree that it is best to travel to one of the stations where Alton Tower buses will take me directly to the park. But the train to London is so cheap so I thought maybe it could work out somehow. I just tried to find the cheapest option available but I guess a train from Newcastle to Derby sounds ok for me, 45 plus about 24 pounds for a bus to Alton Tower = about 69 pounds. Still, I would like to find a cheaper one but if nothing comes I guess I will take it. That's single adult tickets, do you think group ticket will be much cheaper? Although, I'm not sure yet how many people are going, 5+ so far
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Merro
This, just found it now!

Thanks a lot for all your advices. I know that Alton Tower is definitelly not near London and I agree that it is best to travel to one of the stations where Alton Tower buses will take me directly to the park. But the train to London is so cheap so I thought maybe it could work out somehow. I just tried to find the cheapest option available but I guess a train from Newcastle to Derby sounds ok for me, 45 plus about 24 pounds for a bus to Alton Tower = about 69 pounds. Still, I would like to find a cheaper one but if nothing comes I guess I will take it. That's single adult tickets, do you think group ticket will be much cheaper? Although, I'm not sure yet how many people are going, 5+ so far

according to tyhe alton towers website the bus from derby is only £12 return!
Reply 11
Original post by mczakk
according to tyhe alton towers website the bus from derby is only £12 return!

Thanks, I was about to correct it. Yep, so in total about 57 pounds.
Original post by Merro
Hi all,

I plan a group trip to Alton Tower Resort from Newcastle in the last week of May 2012 for about 3 days. I tried to find any train tickets to Uttoxeter but the only ones I found are for about 88 pounds, both ways. However this is quite a lot and I have heard about people who travelled from Newcastle to London that managed to spend about 30-50 pounds.

Thanks!

Erm......train to Alton towers =\\ You do know you have a verry very long walk to the entrance of Alton towers.

Could you not hire a minibus and everyone put in £10 per person?

or if someone is confident in their driving, they can pay for the petrol. Anyhow... 30-50 pound to london, yes....you can use a national coach, they just last a very long time to get there but cheap.
Reply 13
Well, the point is nobody wants to spend 5-6 hours in a bus. I don't really mind, but those who are going with me prefer a train, and most of them have railcards. Beside, I really want to catch one of these Alton Tower Buses - they will drop us directly there and we don't have to waste our time getting to Alton Tower Park. Actually, the train to Derby seems to be the best option so far.

Quick Reply

Latest