The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for student finance?

Hi everyone,
I'll call SFE tomorrow morning but I just wanted to ask this question here in the meantime, cause I've being looking for information all afternoon and trying to sort things out but I couldn't find a CLEAR answer.
(apart from the fact that I can't complete my application online as everytime I try to complete some sections it gives me an error message, but I read online that it's quite common and it's a website's problem...)

That's my situation:
I'm 21, I'm italian and I've been living here in London since June 2011. I'm working full time in Pret and I'm planning to work part time during my studies (actually I'd like to work as many hours as I can, but I doubt I'll be able to work 40-45 hours as I do now). I've studied in a university in Italy for a year and a half but then I quitted, and I've applied for a degree here in London (to start in September 2012).

Am I eligible for a tuition fee loan? Or am I supposed to be living here for three years prior the start of my course degree? That's why I can't properly understand, cause in many leaflets from colleges that I got I read that being an EU student was actually enough to get a tuition fee loan... what am I missing?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Never heard of any 3 year residence requirement before... The uni will have an advisor who will be able to guide you through the system.
Reply 2
Do you know where I could go to ask for more information? Do I have to talk with my future uni or there's some place here in London that provides help with these matters?
I'm asking as I'm really more comfortable talking about these stuff in person than on the phone.
Reply 3
You may qualify under the migrant worker scheme, although you can gain and lose this status throughout your studies if you're not working. You're right with the 3 year residency requirement for full financial support, without being a migrant worker. This website has a wealth of information: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/eea.php

However - as you will have two years previous study at higher education, even if you qualify for financial support from SF, you would only get a maintenance loan in your first year (no tuition fee support), as would be the rules for any EU/UK student with previous study.

If you don't qualify under the migrant worker rules then you will get no financial support, including no tuition fee loan, in your first year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Shani
You may qualify under the migrant worker scheme, although you can gain and lose this status throughout your studies if you're not working. You're right with the 3 year residency requirement for full financial support, without being a migrant worker. This website has a wealth of information: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/eea.php

However - as you will have two years previous study at higher education, even if you qualify for financial support from SF, you would only get a maintenance loan in your first year (no tuition fee support), as would be the rules for any EU/UK student with previous study.

If you don't qualify under the migrant worker rules then you will get no financial support, including no tuition fee loan, in your first year.

I thought that if you had not had a degree already paid for by student finance you we're eligible for the length of you course +1 if you had started a degree in england and dropped out then yes you would have to find first years fees yourself?
Reply 5
Original post by 22KT22
I thought that if you had not had a degree already paid for by student finance you we're eligible for the length of you course +1 if you had started a degree in england and dropped out then yes you would have to find first years fees yourself?

No, student finance count previous study, not previous financing, for all UK/EU students, regardless where this study was. It is international students that have slightly different rules.
Reply 6
Thanks Shani for your answers. So, if I corretly understood, even in the case that I'd be living here for three years prior the start of my course I wouldn't get a full finance support as I've already studied in another country, is that correct?
Great my world just fell down... <_<'
Reply 7
Yes, I'm afraid so. The previous study rule is for UK and EU student alike.
Reply 8
Alright, understood. Thank you for your help Shani :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending