Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

bring music instrument on flight?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey just wondering am I allow to bring any music instrument onto the plane? or check-in baggage?

and what's the limitation if its allow ( how many kg, dimensions etc.. )

Because I want to bring my guitar(s) with me to the UK. Electric guitar(s).

It'd be great if it's allowed....

appreciate any advices

thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you'd be able to take a guitar as hand luggage. Obviously you can take them as normal luggage but I highly recommend using hardcases, if you're not already.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i got hard-case but will it be considered as sport-luggage category? or just normal luggage?

because some of the air operator only allow 1 piece of checkin luggage? let's just say guitar hard-case considered as normal luggage, so once I checkin my guitar, I will not be able to checkin another luggage

I need to book a flight now and need to choose which is the most suitable air operator which allow me bringing guitars
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some people buy a seat for their instruments? Or if you had a hard case you could cover it in fragile stickers and rick the hold, but I'd make sure it was damn well insured first!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not rich enough to buy seat for my instruments

yeah probably I will use hardcase.

It's just the matter of how many luggage they allow me to checkin, and is guitar hardcase considered as luggage?

e.g.

1 luggage + 1 guitar hardcase = 2 luggages

and some air operator only allow me bring max of 1 luggage only

that's the problem now....
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a size limit for hanglugage is it has to be able to fit under your seat or in that cuboard thing about your seat, and I doubt a guitar could do either. Even if it was small enough to fit, you couldn't take anything else on as hand luggae for most flights.

Your best bet is probably going to have to include; insurance + fragile stickers + in the hold.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syuuki)
    hey just wondering am I allow to bring any music instrument onto the plane? or check-in baggage?

and what's the limitation if its allow ( how many kg, dimensions etc.. )

Because I want to bring my guitar(s) with me to the UK. Electric guitar(s).

It'd be great if it's allowed....

appreciate any advices

thanks
    You can definitely take guitars as hand luggage. I met one of my favourite guitarists in the Gatwick departure lounge; he had one of his guitars (in a soft case) on his back.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clare~Bear)
    There's a size limit for hanglugage is it has to be able to fit under your seat or in that cuboard thing about your seat, and I doubt a guitar could do either. Even if it was small enough to fit, you couldn't take anything else on as hand luggae for most flights.
    If that the case I don't mind just carry the guitar only. I don't need hand luggage anyway

(Original post by mc1000)
    You can definitely take guitars as hand luggage. I met one of my favourite guitarists in the Gatwick departure lounge; he had one of his guitars (in a soft case) on his back.
    Cool, do you mind if I'm asking which airline operator was that? If do you remember perhaps?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    check in im afriad guitars are to big for the cabin especially in the plural, or so id assume.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Cool, do you mind if I'm asking which airline operator was that? If do you remember perhaps?
    Not a clue. It was in the large shopping mall-style area that you go into after you've checked in and gone through security, where everyone for every flight with every airline goes before boarding.

I'd imagine it would be possible with any airline, at the expense of a hefty sum of money.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that the case I don't mind just carry the guitar only. I don't need hand luggage anyway
    Yes, but like I said, it's almost definately too big to fit in as hand-luggage.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that the best idea would be to call or email the airline and ask. I have taken my flute as hand luggage many, many times, but one of my friends has had to book (and pay for) a seat for her cello, which now has its own air miles and even gets its own post (Mr A. Cello, at her address!). The weirdest thing, in a way, about a cello is that with all the restrictions on what you can/can't take on an aircraft, they allow an instrument with a foot-long metal spike...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every airline has different policy. Some will let you take it on as additional hand luggage for free, some charge 40- 60 quid extra. on air transat airbus it goes in the extra long overhead compartment they have, or just in an empty seat if there is one. No room in the overhead or empty seat and they give you an ultimatum - in the hold or its not flying. Extra checked baggage is again about 50 quid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to check with the airline. Some will carry musical instruments as extras for free, some like Ryanair will charge you £100 to carry anything larger than a flute case! It might be cheaper to have them sent by courier, but no idea what it costs to have something delivered from Singapore. Sometimes if you explain you're a student you can get more from the airline, but that's getting rarer

I remember when I went to University (25 years ago) I could take my trunk on the plane as a student! Think Harry Potter
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Trust me when I say, avoid bringing a guitar on a plane at all costs. If you do it's best to buy a seat (and sometimes more cost effective) for your axes.
    I know a guy who it cost £25 to check an instrument but £10 to get it a seat, ask. This is the best way through and through!
    You will also likely get a nice extra leg room seat at the front for free because of the restrictions on loose items.

If you must check it as luggage, get a full flight case specced for it if possible, hard case really isn't enough. Get a proper padlock for it and strap it shut as an extra measure.
    Even with a flight case, loosen the strings and bubblewrap the necks and headstock. And lay a double layer on both sides inside the case. It will be difficult to close, this is good it means your instrument won't move.
    Check in at oversized luggage!!!
    Essentially you want to feel comfortable throwing the case into a wall as hard as you can because baggage handlers do throw these cases, hard.
    When you arrive, open and inspect it at baggage claim! As soon as you leave baggage claim all liability is forfeit by the airline. You must report any damage in situ, don't leave the baggage reclaim area before reporting it.

Travelling with guitars is more of a pain in the arse than pets.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Trust me when I say, avoid bringing a guitar on a plane at all costs. If you do it's best to buy a seat (and sometimes more cost effective) for your axes.
    I know a guy who it cost £25 to check an instrument but £10 to get it a seat, ask. This is the best way through and through!
    You will also likely get a nice extra leg room seat at the front for free because of the restrictions on loose items.

If you must check it as luggage, get a full flight case specced for it if possible, hard case really isn't enough. Get a proper padlock for it and strap it shut as an extra measure.
    Even with a flight case, loosen the strings and bubblewrap the necks and headstock. And lay a double layer on both sides inside the case. It will be difficult to close, this is good it means your instrument won't move.
    Check in at oversized luggage!!!
    Essentially you want to feel comfortable throwing the case into a wall as hard as you can because baggage handlers do throw these cases, hard.
    When you arrive, open and inspect it at baggage claim! As soon as you leave baggage claim all liability is forfeit by the airline. You must report any damage in situ, don't leave the baggage reclaim area before reporting it.

Travelling with guitars is more of a pain in the arse than pets.
    Hey thanks for the info. But how come buying a seat for the instruments costs only £10? Is it perhaps too cheap? Flight from here to London Healthrow already cost me a fortune (£600) ....

Anyway probably I will check with the airline ( Emirates maybe? ), and will buy a proper flight-case for my axe

Or maybe I'll consider buying those extra leg seat so that I can take care of my axe without any worries from the baggage handler throwing stuffs LOL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just remembered something LOL

Maybe the fragile carton box works as well.

Just put the guitar inside the fragile box ( with the softcase as well of course ), then secured the fragile box with some clothes ( triple protection LOL )

I bought my axe from Japan last year, and that was how i brought it back to Singapore :P

and it save up a lots of your baggage weights as well. ( hardcase and flight case are damn heavy )
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey thanks for the info. But how come buying a seat for the instruments costs only £10? Is it perhaps too cheap? Flight from here to London Healthrow already cost me a fortune (£600) ....

Anyway probably I will check with the airline ( Emirates maybe? ), and will buy a proper flight-case for my axe

Or maybe I'll consider buying those extra leg seat so that I can take care of my axe without any worries from the baggage handler throwing stuffs LOL
    Yeah thats just an example of where it can be cheaper, obviously it's not going to be all flights. But sometimes you can grab a last minute bargain seat at check in.

Extra leg seats won't allow you to take it onboard you will need to get it it's own seat if thats what you want to do.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey just done quick check with Emirates Airline.

Music instruments are allowed on plan as hand baggage as long as the length not exceed 45 inches, and weight not more than 7kg

YAY!

Oh by the way, for Emirates, if you're going to bring music instrument, no other hand baggage are allowed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.