Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

refund of recovery and storage fees

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just found out that dad got pulled over last week for not having insurance... wasnt given a producer, instead car was seized and recovered

anyways, he proved his valid insurance and car was released after paying the recovery costs and an extra days storage

Dad written off this incident as “que sera sera”, but any chance of claiming back these fees and if possible who do I chase

(i've tried googling it but not found any solid answers)
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he had valid insurance at the time of the incident, then why did the police think he didn't? (Usually they check before seizing the car)

If he did, and can prove he had valid insurance when they seized the car, it is worth chasing the fees back, although I am afraid I don't know who you would chase I'm afraid.

If nothing else, get your insurer to pay, as they incorrectly said you were not insured.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As long as the police had "reasonable suspicion", then you've no right to claim the fees back via them unfortunately, even if that suspicion turned out to be false.

Usually the police check insurance via the MID, which should be updated by your insurance company. You could ask them to pay the fee, or even take them to a small claims court for the fees if they refuse, although the fees and time will probably cost more than its worth.

You should also make sure that the MID (www.askmid.com) is now currently showing the vehicle as insured
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmhumphries)
    If he had valid insurance at the time of the incident, then why did the police think he didn't? (Usually they check before seizing the car)

If he did, and can prove he had valid insurance when they seized the car, it is worth chasing the fees back, although I am afraid I don't know who you would chase I'm afraid.

If nothing else, get your insurer to pay, as they incorrectly said you were not insured.
    I agree.
    If your insurer said he wasnt insured when he actually was, then speak to them to find out what happened and if you can claim back the fees off them. Otherwise, im not sure how else to get the money back.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    I agree.
    If your insurer said he wasnt insured when he actually was, then speak to them to find out what happened and if you can claim back the fees off them. Otherwise, im not sure how else to get the money back.
    This is all you can do, although usually the police are pretty good. Its your insurers job to update the MID. If they failed to do so then claim it back from them, if the police genuinely made a mistake then I dont think you can claim it back. I dont see how the police can make a mistake though - they just check the car against the database and go from there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My cousin had the same problem a while back.

We complained to the Independant Police Commission as we felt it wasnt fair on people who had ligitimate insurance and were driving safetly at the time.

This took a while, approx 4 months but we didnt budge and were compensated for the charges.

Problem solved!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Costs £25 quid to open a case via small claims court.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.