The Student Room Group

IB Subjects for Psychology?

Hi,
In the future, I'd like to pursue a career in Clinical/Counseling Psychology, what would be the best subject combination for this? I plan on studying in the Netherlands, so Math Studies is not an option, and neither is IB Psych or Philosophy ( my school doesn't offer it :frown: )
Any ideas? :biggrin:
Reply 1
HL Psychology
HL Biology
HL Chemistry
SL Maths
SL English
SL Chinese (or whatever your second language is).

I think that's a pretty decent subject combination.
HL bio
HL chem
HL English
SL math
SL second language
SL history or economics or whatever else
:smile:
Reply 3
I'm going to UCL in September to study psychology and I took:

HL Biology, chemistry and social anthropology
SL maths, Danish A1 and English A2

Social anthropology is quite uncommon, but I think any of the group 3 subjects are fine :smile:

So yeah .. those subjects worked for me :smile: your options are pretty open if you want to study psychology, but most places say you need to have either maths, chem or bio at HL. But don't do HL maths :tongue:
Reply 4
HL chem bio and Language B
SL Math Language A and Econ
Reply 5
Completely agree with CathrineS
HL Biology, chemistry and social anthropology are a must
SL Math is necessary given a focus on stats
do you think they would allow maths studies or not?
Original post by tashfulton
do you think they would allow maths studies or not?

It would depend on what your other subjects are. If you have Biology or Chemistry at HL, you should be fine with maths studies, but some universities do prefer at least Maths SL because of the amount of statistics in some university courses :smile:
Reply 8
Hello, if anyone is still watching this thread...

Has anyone got any offers, or know anyone who has received one, for experimental psychology/behavioural sciences with HL Maths and Physics (my third HL would be History)? I haven't found anywhere that says Biology/Chemistry is necessary or even preferable... they do pp want two sciences though and they count maths as a science... I love maths and physics (yes, I have been warned a lot by various people about maths but I want to study it, I took IGCSE a year early and everything and I'm doing add maths and I love the subject) and I really don't want two years of plant biology and ecology... Thanks!
Is it necessary to take Chemistry?
Is it possible to only do biology instead of chemistry?
Reply 11
I'm going to study Psychology in 2 weeks :smile:

I took, HL Psychology, HL Physics, HL Art and SL Maths, SL Jap ab and SL English

When I did my uni research no where asked for chem or bio but more of a general 1 HL science at a 6+, though uni's consider Psychology a science for their course so I would recommend 2 sciences? Other than that English at HL if you have no other interests (though taking a subject you enjoy and getting a high grade is more important than taking say English HL and getting a meh grade)
I took HL Biology,psychology and businessSl-french,english and math studies SL...Is this subject choices okay for studying psychology??
Reply 13
I took HL Biology,psychology and businessSl-french,english and math studies SL...Is this subject choices okay for studying psychology??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending