Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should convicted criminals have the right to vote?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some states in America restrict any individual who has a criminal record from voting - whether that's serious crimes such as murder and rape, or 'less' serious crimes such as theft. Then you get EU requesting Britain to give prisoners the right to vote, which I am completely against.

Personally, I feel that voting is very important and turnouts are terribly low; however a crime is a crime and it could work as a good deterrent.

Do you think that anyone with a criminal record should lose their right to vote?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So should a kid who nicked something when they were 16 still not have a vote by the time they're 43?

Not being able to vote while they're in prison I think is a fair deal. Or even better, not being able to vote if they won't be let out during the term of whatever they're voting for (for example, you can only vote in general elections if you'll be out within 5 years).
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone in jail shouldn't be able to vote.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Anyone in jail shouldn't be able to vote.
    So a guy who's never been in jail before, but gets put in for a week or so which just happens to coincide with an election shouldn't be able to vote in it?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Some states in America restrict any individual who has a criminal record from voting - whether that's serious crimes such as murder and rape, or 'less' serious crimes such as theft. Then you get EU requesting Britain to give prisoners the right to vote, which I am completely against.

Personally, I feel that voting is very important and turnouts are terribly low; however a crime is a crime and it could work as a good deterrent.

Do you think that anyone with a criminal record should lose their right to vote?
    But how about those who are wrongly convicted and were sent to prison? Do they not deserve to vote as well?

I just read this and it made me sick to my stomach the horrible things these poor innocent people went through =(
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    So a guy who's never been in jail before, but gets put in for a week or so which just happens to coincide with an election shouldn't be able to vote in it?
    Anyone in jail shouldn't be able to vote. I would have thought what I have said would be easy to understand...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The point of prison is to protect the public and reform the individual. This justifies taking away their liberty but not their right to vote. They are still citizens of this country and should therefore still have the right to vote.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think nothing except electoral fraud should take away the right to vote. Voting is our voice in the debate over what society should look like. People who have acted in a way contrary to what society currently looks like shouldn't be excluded from the process of changing what society looks like.

For example, in some countries, homosexuality is illegal. If people are jailed for homosexual activity, should that really bar them from voting? "Right" and "wrong" aren't static - our consensus on what's right and what's wrong changes over time, and that's a good thing. Jailing people who do things that we currently consider "wrong" is obviously correct - but preventing them from influencing a discussion over whether we should start to consider it "right" is not.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Anyone in jail shouldn't be able to vote. I would have thought what I have said would be easy to understand...
    Yes, and I was questioning that by pointing out a ridiculous potential consequence.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People with a criminal record, no.
    Those in jail at the time of voting, yes.
    (answers to the question in your post about losing the right, not the question in the title about having a right)

Not sure why, but it doesn't sit right with me that people who have violated others rights, should help decide who should be in charge of the country.. When the majority of the time, they'll vote for the ones most likely to benefit them or help them get out of jail quicker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In a word, no.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're inside for having committed a violent crime (with intent) then I do think you should lose the right to vote whilst still in prison. If it's a non-violent offence or you just have a criminal record then I don't think your right to vote should be affected.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think everybody of legal age should be able to vote. People who are in prison are living in an environment which is almost entirely governed by the state so the outcomes of an election are likely to have greater implications for them than they would for those of us who haven't yet been caught doing naughty things.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torpedo Fish)
    The point of prison is to protect the public and reform the individual. This justifies taking away their liberty but not their right to vote. They are still citizens of this country and should therefore still have the right to vote.
    They should abide by this country's laws then.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    maybe not while they are still in prison, but after they have served their punishment they should be able to again. you do not take away somebody's fundamental rights for making a mistake. once they have been punished they should not be tarnished forever
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo)
    They should abide by this country's laws then.
    Can I take it that you've never broken any law i.e. you've never downloaded any copy-righted music then?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any member of the public should be able to vote, regardless of their criminal record.

Reason: morality is subjective.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    When convicted criminals complete their sentence in jail, and become a part of society once more, they'll be directly affected by the party in power, so they should equally be given the opportunity to vote.

A criminal record doesn't obliterate an individual's judgement... and its always important to maintain equality no matter what crime they've commited.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No they should not, it is not a human right, it is a civil right they sacrificed when they committed a crime. Furthermore, what would our prison system be like if politicians begin introducing policies that appeal to criminals?!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carecup)
    Can I take it that you've never broken any law i.e. you've never downloaded any copy-righted music then?
    I've never been found guilty of anything.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.