Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Should convicted criminals have the right to vote?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To remove a criminal's ability to vote is to remove that criminal's say in the very laws which he has broken.

If a prisoner has no ability to either consent or object to a given law (implicitly through benefiting from society or explicitly by voting) there is no justification for his punishment.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course they should have the right to vote - it is extremely dangerous for the government to choose who can and cannot vote. Anyone who is able to make a rational decision should have that right because it affects us all. We do not have the right to say that someone shouldn't be allowed to vote because of something they have done.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    Being in Prison =/= Criminal.

Are you saying people never get wrongly put in to jail?
    It's fairly obvious who I'm referring to :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The argument that prisoners should not vote because politicans would pander to them and therefore prisoners would vote for the party who offered them the 'best deal' makes no sense... basically everyone votes for their interests.

BUT I think that it is acceptable to say that the loss of liberty in being incarcerated (one of the punishments for the crime committed) can be accompanied by the loss of the right to vote while in prison.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by summer_blazed)

Forgive me, for I seem to have forgotten that all those of us who aren't currently in prison are perfect in every way.
    ...yes, because Joe Taxi Driver who maybe happens to swear a little bit at home should necessarily occupy the same category of moral citizenship as a rapist, a child molester, and a murderer.

I'm simply saying that they live in this country, and the government's decisions will affect them as much it will us.
    ...yes, because the typically slight adjustments in penal strategy we see with new governments are clearly as life-altering and important as the radical changes we usually see in health, education, transport, housing etc. policy.

I'd argue that the majority of people in prison are in there for 'victimless crimes'
    I would love to see you argue this position which is demonstrably false. Unless your argument rests on the notion that Violence Against the Person, Sexual Offenses, Robbery, Burglary, Theft, and Fraud (the six categories of incarcerated citizen which form 73% of the prison population) are somehow 'victimless' - and this isn't even counting the other 27% of prison population which are likely not guilty of 'victimless crimes' either (although I can't state this positively as the statistics are reported in an awkward fashion).

Everything you have said in this discussion has been downright stupid. I'm shocked you even know how to turn on a PC.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    No they should not. Well played for David Cameron for sticking to his guns on this one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BringerOfTruth)
    ...yes, because Joe Taxi Driver who maybe happens to swear a little bit at home should necessarily occupy the same category of moral citizenship as a rapist, a child molester, and a murderer.
    Why is the right to vote considered a privilege. If you live here and are a citizen you should get a vote. Pretty simple.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a strong opinion either way but the majority of prisoners I meet wouldn't be interested in voting anyway and the ones that would vote would probably spell their X wrong
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I believe in democracy.

When you start tampering with voting rights you're not a true democracy.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

Are you saying that because the justice system isn't perfect, and some innocent people are in jail, that means that all of the others who are guilty can get a by, and a right to vote?

So we will pander to the very few people who are innocent, rather than the majority that are not? :rolleyes::confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlmostChicGeek)
    Are you saying that because the justice system isn't perfect, and some innocent people are in jail, that means that all of the others who are guilty can get a by, and a right to vote?

So we will pander to the very few people who are innocent, rather than the majority that are not? :rolleyes::confused:
    Even if they are guilty they should have the right to vote.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course they should.

Criminals still have an effect on our society do they not? They are still a member of the country. But they are a 'negative' section of society, refusing to give them a vote suggests that in order to be allowed to vote you must be what the government considers 'good'. I don't agree with that, if you are mature enough, if you are a member of our nation, if you are affected by the governments decisions then you deserve to vote regardless of whether you are 'good' or 'bad'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Yes. I believe in democracy.

When you start tampering with voting rights you're not a true democracy.
    This.

Every person of voting age, should be allowed to vote, whether they are in prison or not.

Taking away certain groups of peoples right to vote is a vary slippery slope indeed.

Hypothetical situation: A fascist regime gets into power. They then invent laws that brand left wingers as terrorists and plonk them all in jail. What now? An extreme example yes, but it doesn't the point any less valid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carecup)
    Can I take it that you've never broken any law i.e. you've never downloaded any copy-righted music then?
    That is not a crime. It is civil infringement of copyright, uploading/making available is a crime.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Applicant)
    Of course not. Criminals who actively undermine society's values for a life of crime have no business in voting along the majority.
    Taking away this right is a punishment, and they deserve to be punished.

Besides, who would they vote for? A leader who will offer to pay them more benefits or more lenient sentences? :borat:
    I vote for the party who I think will benefit me the most, as I'm sure many if not the majority of other voters do. Why should other people be denied a vote on the basis of they'll do the same thing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you can't argue against this unless you admit to an infallible justice system. Additionally, it seems to shame democracy where they can't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    I think nothing except electoral fraud should take away the right to vote. Voting is our voice in the debate over what society should look like. People who have acted in a way contrary to what society currently looks like shouldn't be excluded from the process of changing what society looks like.

For example, in some countries, homosexuality is illegal. If people are jailed for homosexual activity, should that really bar them from voting? "Right" and "wrong" aren't static - our consensus on what's right and what's wrong changes over time, and that's a good thing. Jailing people who do things that we currently consider "wrong" is obviously correct - but preventing them from influencing a discussion over whether we should start to consider it "right" is not.
    That was impressive, I agree
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand the view that suggests that criminals should retain their right to vote. Human rights and civil rights are abstract concepts, sure in some cases, perhaps if someone is detained for Drunk and disorderly it would seem odd to take their right to vote. But cmon, people with life sentences, murderers, rapists etc etc, should they be able to influence the system to benefit them? What a preposterous sentiment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

While I agree with this argument when applied to the death penalty since that is pretty final (as well as not being an effective deterrent, solution or punishment), I really don't think it works very well in this context. Should we abolish prisons altogether to prevent the odd innocent persons freedom of movement being restricted too? That would seem to be a far more pressing issue to the innocent person than their right to vote :rolleyes:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.