The Student Room Group

What motivated you to pursue a PhD?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jake22
There are only two contexts in which the title should really be used:

i) If you are lecturing or communicating with students - in which case... it makes little to no difference as they often don't understand the different titles anyway. I have taught at university level and have no title yet get called everything from mr to dr. to professor

ii) In academic circles, in which case everyone else will either be a doctor or have a higher rank. Being proud about being a doctor in that setting is like a junior officer running around the mess hall telling everyone he is second lieutenant.

Using an academic (or military) rank or title out of context has the unfortunate effect of making people sound like pricks - even if they aren't.

To be fair - it is a pretty fatuous thing to do.

Indeed. it was a tongue in cheek comment sorry
Reply 101
Original post by Ghost6
You don't pay for a PhD, or shouldn't. Being admitted to a PhD without funding (in the form of scholarships or TA jobs, RA jobs or whatever) is an implicit rejection.

On whose rules? Yours?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by harmony_01
Everything costs in life. It is what it is. What is important is that you have contributed something that people will you remember you by (hopefully!). In any case, you're a Dr. :biggrin: I don't care about people's skepticism. People have survived it. I will too.

I see. Well good luck paying those extravagant tuition fees or long contract that you need to serve :wink:

Owh and by the way, I don't even put much thought on being a 'Dr.' really. That's not the main point of doing a PhD. If you're doing it for that, then you're doing it for the wrong reason and you're just one vain person.
Reply 103
Original post by kka25
On who's rules? Yours?

If you want to pay full fees + living expenses for your PhD while other people are given all this for free it's your choice. But if the department really wants you they will bring cash to the table.
Reply 104
Original post by Ghost6
If you want to pay full fees + living expenses for your PhD while other people are given all this for free it's your choice. But if the department really wants you they will bring cash to the table.

Which basically contradicts whatever you've just said just now...

Owh, and by the way, read the fine print of what you'd be signing; not everything is free. Don't be so naive...
Original post by Ghost6

If you are the next immensely famous person in your field, this may be true. However, for most people, funding (particularly in the arts) is extremely competitive, and I know plenty of well-qualified candidates who struggled to get funding. Their department certainly wanted them, but your supervisor/head of research group can't just magic money out of thin air....
Reply 106
Is funding for computer science phds easy to get?
Reply 107
Original post by kka25
On whose rules? Yours?

I think the point is that it is exceptionally easy to get a PhD place yet exceptionally hard in many cases to get funding.

Funding is the only competetive part.
Original post by bmqib
Is funding for computer science phds easy to get?

medium :rolleyes:
Reply 109
Original post by Joinedup
medium :rolleyes:

you could have been productive if you chose to tell why that post warranted a presumably sarcastic response
Original post by bmqib
you could have been productive if you chose to tell why that post warranted a presumably sarcastic response

Yeah I'm sorry.

If you've seen the film 'no country for old men' there's a scene where someone asks if the bad guy's dangerous... and woody harrelson (sp?) replies 'compared to what? the bubonic plague'

Somewhere between falling off a log and finding the higgs boson.

there's little Phd funding in the arts these days - maybe it's 10* times harder to get funding for an English Lit PhD than computer science... but that's neither help nor hindrance to you if you want to do computer science cos it's probably not going to be an alternative path that'd be open to you anyway and the Eng lit candiates aren't likely to be competing for 'your' CS funding either.

It's gonna be as hard as it is at the time you're looking to start and you'll either succeed or fail... the better your research proposal is, the better your chances of getting it funded.

all IMO

* a number pulled out of my hat.
Reply 111
Original post by Joinedup
Yeah I'm sorry.

If you've seen the film 'no country for old men' there's a scene where someone asks if the bad guy's dangerous... and woody harrelson (sp?) replies 'compared to what? the bubonic plague'

Somewhere between falling off a log and finding the higgs boson.

there's little Phd funding in the arts these days - maybe it's 10* times harder to get funding for an English Lit PhD than computer science... but that's neither help nor hindrance to you if you want to do computer science cos it's probably not going to be an alternative path that'd be open to you anyway and the Eng lit candiates aren't likely to be competing for 'your' CS funding either.

It's gonna be as hard as it is at the time you're looking to start and you'll either succeed or fail... the better your research proposal is, the better your chances of getting it funded.

all IMO

* a number pulled out of my hat.

To expand upon this point; there will also be a difference in the ease of finding funding between various types of computer science projects.

CS is a big discipline and projects could range from very abstract mathematical things to more concrete problems concerned with actual implementation of ideas as well as the theoretical background.

One would imagine that as with most things, more funding is available for the latter types of projects especially seeing as private sector funding is normally geared towards applied rather than purely theoretical problems.

In terms of anecdotal commentry - I know people doing funded CS PhDs of the applied type who didn't get firsts in their undergrad degrees. In my subject (Pure Mathematics) the limited nature of funding makes that situation unfeasible. On the other hand, I also know applied mathematicians of various types doing funded PhDs who only have 2:1s since again - there is simply more funding (=less competition) available for projects coming from a wider source of organisations.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by harmony_01
Indeed. it was a tongue in cheek comment

As was mine :wink:

Although academics will generally tell you that "people who do PhDs just for the title are misguided and won't have the motivation to get through the course...blah blah blah", in fact, people of a certain type will 'dine out' (for want of a better phrase) on their title for the rest of their lives and it is a big enough deal for them. They may even convince people to give the job they want/a bigger salary/more respect on the basis of it. Alternatively, they may just generally get a buzz out of their mum being mega proud of "her son/daughter the doctor!" and having friends and family recognise them as a fully badged up member of the countries intellectual elite however true or false that may be.

Seriously, I don't know about everyone else but my mum and brother, for example, refer to me as "my son/brother the academic genious" (much to my chagrin you understand :wink: ) when talking about me or introducing me to people. They don't care when I point out that I haven't passed yet/haven't contributed much to my discipline etc. etc. as far as they are concerned even attempting a PhD makes me and Einstein like equals. Well, you can just imagine how people might actually enjoy this aspect of having such a title rather than be embarrased by it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Jake22
And another...

Student Imsoeffinclever

ISEC as he/she is known for short was bullied at school. Socially awkward amongst a mixed crowd; ISEC decided early on that he/she was going to reign supreme amongst the geeks. During their undergrad, they spurned the 'lower' opportunities for friendships and good times and worked hard on their course and their pretensions of self importance. ISEC is modestly intelligent but is under the delusion that he/she is an insightful genious of highest order. He/she goes on to do a PhD essentially because it is the only arena in life in which they are able to compete. Only they aren't actually that much of a competetive force within their discipline; they drastically overestimate the worth and impact of their tentative apprenticework that forms their thesis. They use their PhD as a form of self validation and endlessly self promote themselves amongst family and friends. They think that academic research is the only endeavour in the world that utilises true intelligence and creativity. They fail to see that their work is just mundane cookie-cutter methodology diligently applied to a yet relatively untouched niche.

Seriously, go to an academic department or to an academic conference. They are full of egos that need validation and massaging and academia is the only place they can get that emotional satisfaction.

do you have a webcam set up in my room or something
Reply 114
Original post by around
do you have a webcam set up in my room or something

No, but I have a mirror in mine...

/selfdeprication
Reply 115
Original post by Jake22

Seriously, I don't know about everyone else but my mum and brother, for example, refer to me as "my son/brother the academic genious" (much to my chagrin you understand :wink: ) when talking about me or introducing me to people. They don't care when I point out that I haven't passed yet/haven't contributed much to my discipline etc. etc. as far as they are concerned even attempting a PhD makes me and Einstein like equals. Well, you can just imagine how people might actually enjoy this aspect of having such a title rather than be embarrased by it.

I would be stressed out if my family did this to me! :eek: (And I've experienced it before as well!) I'm on my first semester and I've done a good job not telling the family about my little project or it's going to be a circus! It's just one of those unnecessary pressures that I don't need :s-smilie:
Reply 116
Original post by kka25
I would be stressed out if my family did this to me! :eek: (And I've experienced it before as well!) I'm on my first semester and I've done a good job not telling the family about my little project or it's going to be a circus! It's just one of those unnecessary pressures that I don't need :s-smilie:

I just laugh it off. The thing I find is that the thought of being seen as 'good' at my discipline is like being seen as being 'good' at say dancing and singing along to Simply Red songs: I might secretly enjoy it but I am embarrased about being seen to do so in public and would much rather be known as being good at something more 'respectable' like football, fighting or attracting women.
Reply 117
How do you get funding for a phd?
Reply 118
Original post by Jake22
I just laugh it off. The thing I find is that the thought of being seen as 'good' at my discipline is like being seen as being 'good' at say dancing and singing along to Simply Red songs: I might secretly enjoy it but I am embarrased about being seen to do so in public and would much rather be known as being good at something more 'respectable' like football, fighting or attracting women.

Unfortunately, I don't have this sort of view in order to handle the situation. I'm confined to just keep quiet about it :sad:

Owh well...
Reply 119
Original post by sexbo
How do you get funding for a phd?

It depends. In the UK you are paid by the government, I believe, or some other funding body. You can work as a TA for additional income. In the US you are paid by the university, but usually have to TA, RA for it. At the good schools, they won't make you an offer if they don't intend to fund you though scholarships or TA/RA jobs. You can also be funded by international scholarships such as Commonwealth scholarships or the Fulbright scholarship if you are an (outstanding) international student. I have read about people being on multiple scholarships and making $50,000 a year while working on their PhD, but this is really exceptional.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending