The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Thank you very much, I was waiting impatiently for the release of the article.
Hey everyone, I've been going through the article quite thoroughly for the past couple of weeks, but am struggling with paragraphs 13-16. Does anybody have any ideas on how these could link back to previous topics/questions which could be asked on these paragraphs?
It'd be a great help if anyone has any ideas to share with me, thanks guys! :smile:
Original post by megan_cammiss
Hey everyone, I've been going through the article quite thoroughly for the past couple of weeks, but am struggling with paragraphs 13-16. Does anybody have any ideas on how these could link back to previous topics/questions which could be asked on these paragraphs?
It'd be a great help if anyone has any ideas to share with me, thanks guys! :smile:

perhaps the word neurological could bring in topics such as synapses and neurotransmitters, perhaps disorders like parkinsons
:dontknow:
Reply 43
Original post by africananimals
Let us all post possible questions to get started. I will start: :smile:

On the last line of paragraph 52 on page 8 of the Scientific Article, there is a statement about the number of women dying because of HIV/AIDS. Explain how the disease caused by HIV has a sequence of symptoms that may result in death.

On paragraph 3 of page 1 of the article, there's a statement : "Obesity is defined as a surplus of body fat which is detrimental to health. This fat, or white adipose tissue (WAT), is located underneath

Hope you find them useful. Use your knowledge and understanding to answer them. :smile:

Thanks a lot!!
Original post by demdil
Thanks a lot!!

No probs! .)
Original post by This Honest
perhaps the word neurological could bring in topics such as synapses and neurotransmitters, perhaps disorders like parkinsons
:dontknow:

Thankyou, I thought maybe it could link back to AS when we did about balancing diet/eating disorders and obesity, but that doesn't have much science behind it, and we never touched on what the media affect on these are.
Reply 46
Thankyou, I thought maybe it could link back to AS when we did about balancing diet/eating disorders and obesity, but that doesn't have much science behind it, and we never touched on what the media affect on these are.

I sense brains since amygdala is found in the temporal lobe, therefore emotional responses. But then apart from the structure of the brain, what could be possibly related to questions in the brain? I only remember learning Parkinsons and perception of brain against illusions.
Original post by avataraang
I am just worried that this article carries A THIRD OF THE MARKS for the whole paper.

:O

same :frown:

By previous topics, you mean from AS topics?

If so then, in paragraph 15 it mentions landmark studies. This could have a link with topic 1 where we learnt about cohort and case-control studies. Paragraph 16 suggests issues regardining reliability/validity of the study which was also part of the 'what makes a good study' section in topic 1.
Last 2 lines of paragraph 15 also mention weight loss, dieting and body weight which was also in topic 1.

But I think these paragraphs are mainly just topic 8 because it details parts of the brain and about 'neurological reactions'.
How many pages have you guys done for your unit 6 coursework?
Original post by verdikt
I sense brains since amygdala is found in the temporal lobe, therefore emotional responses. But then apart from the structure of the brain, what could be possibly related to questions in the brain? I only remember learning Parkinsons and perception of brain against illusions.

Thankyou! Maybe it could be linked as the same part of the brain controls emotional responses as it does some other things that we have learned in other topics? I don't know really.
How many pages have you guys done for your unit 6 coursework?

26, and I'm not finished yet. But two of these are my bibliography.
Original post by .snowflake.
26, and I'm not finished yet. But two of these are my bibliography.

Ok, it's jsut because I've heard of a word limit going round and our teachers haven't mentioned nothing about it.
I can't really cut mines down and I'm already on 28
Ok, it's jsut because I've heard of a word limit going round and our teachers haven't mentioned nothing about it.
I can't really cut mines down and I'm already on 28

We've never had a word limit mentioned either, but I've seen it on the mark scheme/ somewhere. My cwk isnt particularly wordy, more full of tables because I'm doing Mann-Whitney on both sets of data, then need to calaculate s.d to identify outliers.
We've never had a word limit mentioned either, but I've seen it on the mark scheme/ somewhere. My cwk isnt particularly wordy, more full of tables because I'm doing Mann-Whitney on both sets of data, then need to calaculate s.d to identify outliers.

Oh i see.

Could you help me on how I can accomplish these:

- assists in planning and practical work
- informs the interpretation of results

in my research and rationale. I've done the first point ish, but the the second point, I don't understand
Oh i see.

Could you help me on how I can accomplish these:

- assists in planning and practical work
- informs the interpretation of results

in my research and rationale. I've done the first point ish, but the the second point, I don't understand

part 2. is when you analyse the results? Basically, explain why the trends/ patterns happen. I think...
part 2. is when you analyse the results? Basically, explain why the trends/ patterns happen. I think...

That's what I thought but if I'm doing my research and rationale, surely I wouldn't have my results yet :confused: since I haven't actually gone out and did the investigation?

Is that what you did?
That's what I thought but if I'm doing my research and rationale, surely I wouldn't have my results yet :confused: since I haven't actually gone out and did the investigation?

Is that what you did?

The explaining of the results I did after the results in my report, but some of the biology, like the how the heart beats, structure of the brain, different parts of the nervous system, which i used to explain my results were in my research. My rationale for my project is quite cool.
The explaining of the results I did after the results in my report, but some of the biology, like the how the heart beats, structure of the brain, different parts of the nervous system, which i used to explain my results were in my research. My rationale for my project is quite cool.

I did that too but with boring plants and sunlight/competition/photosynethesis blah blah

or perhaps they want us to predict the results from our research? :dontknow:
I did that too but with boring plants and sunlight/competition/photosynethesis blah blah

or perhaps they want us to predict the results from our research? :dontknow:

theres your null hypothesis, which is a BIT like predicting your results.

I went for people because I hate plants. But people mean you've got to worry about ethics and potentially messing them up mentally and stuff :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending