The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Got a question about the rest of the paper (couldn't find a specific thread), would really help if someone could answer this for me:

What do we actually need to know with regards to the eye and vision. The spec seems to only mention Rod cells, and the revision guide only has rod cells in it. Does this mean we don't need to know how to label the eye or the function of the eye muscles/iris etc.
Reply 101
describe the gross structure of the eye and outline the functions of its parts, including accommodation.
describe the structure of the retina, with reference to the arrangement of rods, cones, bipolar cells and ganglion cells.
relate the structure of the eye to visual acuity, colour vision and sensitivity to different light intensities.
outline the general principles involved in the reception and recognition of visual stimuli by the brain.

I guess that says it all :smile:
Original post by anooah
describe the gross structure of the eye and outline the functions of its parts, including accommodation.
describe the structure of the retina, with reference to the arrangement of rods, cones, bipolar cells and ganglion cells.
relate the structure of the eye to visual acuity, colour vision and sensitivity to different light intensities.
outline the general principles involved in the reception and recognition of visual stimuli by the brain.

I guess that says it all :smile:

Reply 103
Original post by fudgesundae

ur welcome :smile:

can u help me with aerobic respiration specially the kreb cycle an awl!??
Original post by anooah
ur welcome :smile:

can u help me with aerobic respiration specially the kreb cycle an awl!??

I can help you with that, what do you need help on?
Reply 105
For our coursework, do we need to go into the same amount of biological detail in our conclusion as we did in our rationale?
Reply 106
This is a long shot but can anyone help me with the student t test, unpaired?

I keep getting different answers to the online calculators even though I followed the instructions right :s-smilie:
Reply 107
Original post by neom
This is a long shot but can anyone help me with the student t test, unpaired?

I keep getting different answers to the online calculators even though I followed the instructions right :s-smilie:

i really dont think that much detail is needed .
i mean our sir just told us that this is:-

if the t vlaue is greater than the value from table at 95% confidence level then v can reject the null hypothesis . and if not then v have to agree with the null hypothesis
Reply 108
Original post by This Honest
I can help you with that, what do you need help on?

do v need to know all the names of intermediate compounds ?
and also in what part is CO2 produced and how many reduced NAD and FAD are produced ?!
Original post by iesians
do v need to know all the names of intermediate compounds ?
My teacher said no.

and also in what part is CO2 produced and how many reduced NAD and FAD are produced ?!

Don't need to know intermediate compounds
It's all in the cgp revision guide.
CO2 is produced twice in the link reaction and 4 times in the krebs cycle.
reduced NAD is produced 6 times in the krebs cycle and FADH2 is produced twice.

Remember the link reaction and krebs cycle goes around twice so the products are doubled :smile:
Reply 110
Don't need to know intermediate compounds
It's all in the cgp revision guide.
CO2 is produced twice in the link reaction and 4 times in the krebs cycle.
reduced NAD is produced 6 times in the krebs cycle and FADH2 is produced twice.

Remember the link reaction and krebs cycle goes around twice so the products are doubled :smile:

is link reaction the one in which acetyl co enzyme is made ? im deffo bad at this !
Original post by iesians
is link reaction the one in which acetyl co enzyme is made ? im deffo bad at this !

Yes.
Reply 112
Yes.

ok so the spec says that we should know that kreb cycle is controlled by enzymes ? but what about it like enzyme names or what ? and also then shouldnt we know about the reactions they are catalysing and stuff ?!
Original post by iesians
ok so the spec says that we should know that kreb cycle is controlled by enzymes ? but what about it like enzyme names or what ? and also then shouldnt we know about the reactions they are catalysing and stuff ?!

Nope! We just have to learn that each stage is controlled by an enzyme. I think that possibly that they may state an enzyme in the exam and ask us the effects of this enzyme not working properly or something :biggrin:
Original post by iesians

Original post by avataraang
Nope! We just have to learn that each stage is controlled by an enzyme. I think that possibly that they may state an enzyme in the exam and ask us the effects of this enzyme not working properly or something :biggrin:

Sorry for the late reply iesians; as far as I'm aware, without the acetly coenzyme A, the krebs cycle cannot function. This is the only enzyme I know of
Reply 115
Original post by iesians

What I know is that there are dehydrogenase (removes hydroged to form reduced NAD) and decarboxylase (removed CO2) in Krebs Cycle. So without them no H or no CO2 will be removed so Krebs Cycle won't work. Coenzyme A is needed for the link reaction just before the Krebs Cycle.
Hey Guys!

Just need a bit of help on the scientific article. It refers to animal testing on paragraph 20 on rats, so it is possible that a question about animal testing and its ethics/morals can be asked.

Apart from absolutist and relative views, does anyone have any pros and cons of animal testing, particularly rats?

Any help will be much appreciated :biggrin:
Original post by avataraang
Hey Guys!

Just need a bit of help on the scientific article. It refers to animal testing on paragraph 20 on rats, so it is possible that a question about animal testing and its ethics/morals can be asked.

Yeah, it's possible that they can ask about animal testing; like, using animals for medical research. They might ask about ethics/animal rights, animal welfare, animal suffering vs pleasure, the need for consent, utilitarianism etc.
(A2 Snab textbook: pg 248-249)
I got a question for you guys:

The pre-frontal cortex is part of the frontal lobe of the brain. Describe some of the functions of this part of the brain, and compare it with the function of the medulla?

Person who gets it correct gets rep and something else :colone:
Original post by SimpleGirl
Erm, I'll give it my best shot.. :dontknow:

The pre-frontal cortex includes the thalamus which is responsible for 'transporting' all sensory information, through axons, to receptors in the hypothalamus (also found in the frontal lobe) in order to allow impulses to be sent to the necessary effectors.
The Medulla oblongata, connects the brain stem and midbrain and allows 'messages' to be transferred between the midbrain and the spinal cord. The medualla is responsible for regulating essential body processes like the control of breathing, heart rate and blood pressure.

You were spot on with the medulla bit but you didn't really hit the nail on the wood with the pre frontal cortex bit :s-smilie:
It's as simple as:
-involved in decision making, reasonin, planning, emotions...that sort of thing that you should mention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending