The Student Room Group

Considering changing course from CS

Hi, I'm currently studying Computer Science but don't feel it's right for me in the long-term.
I've been back and forth about it in my mind and it's just starting to get me down now.
I don't enjoy programming and find it very difficult to get my head around.
I know my course will only get harder and think I will really struggle with it.
I never want to have a job where I have to program but still hold an interest in computers and technology.

I'd quite like to stay at my current university and have been looking at other courses such as Business Management, Marketing, Politics and even Law.
Basically I just don't have a great sense of direction and feel very lost. I want a good career and to be interested in my work. In my current position I don't feel that I'm going to achieve either of these goals :frown:

Any ideas or similar experiences/stories would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by joelw
Hi, I'm currently studying Computer Science but don't feel it's right for me in the long-term.
I've been back and forth about it in my mind and it's just starting to get me down now.
I don't enjoy programming and find it very difficult to get my head around.
I know my course will only get harder and think I will really struggle with it.
I never want to have a job where I have to program but still hold an interest in computers and technology.

I'd quite like to stay at my current university and have been looking at other courses such as Business Management, Marketing, Politics and even Law.
Basically I just don't have a great sense of direction and feel very lost. I want a good career and to be interested in my work. In my current position I don't feel that I'm going to achieve either of these goals :frown:

Any ideas or similar experiences/stories would be appreciated, thanks!

What university are you at, and what A-levels did you do? Obviously you must have done Maths, so pretty much anything non-science related is open to you. I'd say consider Economics rather than Business, and perhaps Law or History?

What made you think CS was right for you in the first place? Did you not put much thought into it, or do you find it hard to understand? :/
Reply 2
I'm at Newcastle. I actually didn't do Maths hence no mention of Economics and probably makes CS harder for me also. I did IT at A-level and did really well in it but thought I'd try for the 'proper' degree in choosing CS over Information Systems.
Perhaps I should consider changing to IS as it shares half the modules but not the harder programming ones?
I've always had an interest in computers, software and internet technologies but the programming side of things just doesn't interest me and I find it very difficult and find myself giving up.
Reply 3
Original post by joelw
I'm at Newcastle. I actually didn't do Maths hence no mention of Economics and probably makes CS harder for me also. I did IT at A-level and did really well in it but thought I'd try for the 'proper' degree in choosing CS over Information Systems.
Perhaps I should consider changing to IS as it shares half the modules but not the harder programming ones?
I've always had an interest in computers, software and internet technologies but the programming side of things just doesn't interest me and I find it very difficult and find myself giving up.

Yes, in that case opt for one of these degrees http://www.e-skills.com/ITMB

You could do it somewhere like Manchester or Exeter, and you will have immediate links to industry :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks! I'd quite like to stay in Newcastle though as I really like the city and have made some good friends etc.

Do you think I'd be well places on the Information Systems course? From what I know it has to be taken with either Business or Marketing. I knew a second year who transferred from CS straight into second year IS after deciding he wanted to change and much prefers it.
Reply 5
Original post by joelw
Thanks! I'd quite like to stay in Newcastle though as I really like the city and have made some good friends etc.

Do you think I'd be well places on the Information Systems course? From what I know it has to be taken with either Business or Marketing. I knew a second year who transferred from CS straight into second year IS after deciding he wanted to change and much prefers it.

Northumbria offer that degree as well. If you want to stay at Ncl Uni then talk to your department and see if they can accommodate your requests :smile: I think you have a passion for computing but not programming, so stick at it, and find a course that's right for you. Good luck! x
Reply 6
Thanks a lot :biggrin:
Reply 7
You could look into switching to IS then I suppose.

I'm at doing CS at Newcastle too and all I can say is, **** CSC1015.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending