The Student Room Group

Comparison between Highers/Advanded Higher/ AS and A2 Levels

I'm a mature student looking to get a basic understanding and similarities between the Scottish and equivalent English/Welsh qualifications. I hope most of the information I need is on http://www.sqa.org.uk/, but it's proving very difficult to find.

This is my understanding so far. As qualifications for entry into university there appear to be similarities between the two qualifications. Highers seem to be equivalent to AS and Advanced Highers equivalent to A2. However, you don't appear to be able to use AS qualifications alone for entry into Scottish universities as you can with Highers.

My main problem is that there are very few A-levels that can be taken purely on by examination. Does the same apply to Highers an A.Highers?

I think the cost of A Levels is unreasonably high. What is the cost of sitting Highers and A.Highers or where can I find out?

Can Highers and A.Highers only be taken in Scotland?

For most if not all A Level qualifications you are required to take both the AS and A2 exams to get the A Level qualification. Does the same apply to the Scottish system?

I'm assuming it's possible to take Higher and Advanced Highers as private candidate. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can take them as a private candidate, yes. And no, you don't need to do the Higher if you want to do the Advanced Higher.
In terms of difficulty, from looking at past papers from both qualification systems I'd have to say that AS is a bit harder than Higher, but Advanced Higher is a bit harder than A2.

Scottish universities accept Highers as the standard leaving qualification and will advertise requirements in terms of Highers, although you can shave the first year off your degree by studying the appropriate Advanced Highers and it's possible to gain entry to the 2nd year if you meet the requirements with them.

Highers and Advanced Highers can only be awarded by the SQA, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can only be sat inside Scotland. There may be centres in other countries which offer SQA qualifications, but I've never heard of them.

So, in short, what I mean is: Scottish universities accept Highers as the standard entry qualification to their university, whereas English universities accept A-Levels as the standard entry qualification, so some English universities won't accept Highers if you decide you wish to study there and will request Advanced Highers.

Funding for Highers and Advanced Highers is variable with the college, I believe, and the best way to find out would be to get in contact with the colleges you're interested in yourself; I don't know enough about this to give you any advice, sorry. :tongue:

The same does not apply for the Scottish system, you can enter for the Advanced Higher without studying the Higher (keep in mind Advanced Higher isn't a necessary qualification for access to further education in Scotland), but you will still rely on knowledge taught at Higher to make your way through the Advanced Higher. So you can get the AH qualification without ever doing a Higher in it, but it just means you'd need to teach yourself twice as much stuff in the same time period as your cohorts who have already studied Higher.
Reply 3
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
In terms of difficulty, from looking at past papers from both qualification systems I'd have to say that AS is a bit harder than Higher, but Advanced Higher is a bit harder than A2.

Scottish universities accept Highers as the standard leaving qualification and will advertise requirements in terms of Highers, although you can shave the first year off your degree by studying the appropriate Advanced Highers and it's possible to gain entry to the 2nd year if you meet the requirements with them.

Highers and Advanced Highers can only be awarded by the SQA, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can only be sat inside Scotland. There may be centres in other countries which offer SQA qualifications, but I've never heard of them.

So, in short, what I mean is: Scottish universities accept Highers as the standard entry qualification to their university, whereas English universities accept A-Levels as the standard entry qualification, so some English universities won't accept Highers if you decide you wish to study there and will request Advanced Highers.

Funding for Highers and Advanced Highers is variable with the college, I believe, and the best way to find out would be to get in contact with the colleges you're interested in yourself; I don't know enough about this to give you any advice, sorry. :tongue:

The same does not apply for the Scottish system, you can enter for the Advanced Higher without studying the Higher (keep in mind Advanced Higher isn't a necessary qualification for access to further education in Scotland), but you will still rely on knowledge taught at Higher to make your way through the Advanced Higher. So you can get the AH qualification without ever doing a Higher in it, but it just means you'd need to teach yourself twice as much stuff in the same time period as your cohorts who have already studied Higher.

Someone rep this sexy sexy man.
As a matter of practicality, you'll probably find it easier to get resources for most subjects at A2 than AH.
Reply 5
Original post by grazie
I'm a mature student looking to get a basic understanding and similarities between the Scottish and equivalent English/Welsh qualifications. I hope most of the information I need is on http://www.sqa.org.uk/, but it's proving very difficult to find.

This is my understanding so far. As qualifications for entry into university there appear to be similarities between the two qualifications. Highers seem to be equivalent to AS and Advanced Highers equivalent to A2. However, you don't appear to be able to use AS qualifications alone for entry into Scottish universities as you can with Highers.

My main problem is that there are very few A-levels that can be taken purely on by examination. Does the same apply to Highers an A.Highers?

I think the cost of A Levels is unreasonably high. What is the cost of sitting Highers and A.Highers or where can I find out?

Can Highers and A.Highers only be taken in Scotland?

For most if not all A Level qualifications you are required to take both the AS and A2 exams to get the A Level qualification. Does the same apply to the Scottish system?

I'm assuming it's possible to take Higher and Advanced Highers as private candidate. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Technically, you get the same amount of UCAS points for getting 5 A's at higher as you do for 3 A grades at A2. Yet english uni's ask for advanced highers aswell They are worth the same amount of points, but are much harder. For example, you only get one year to do an advanced higher from start to finish, and there's are no resits. You might do a project, but apart from that, if you mess up the exam in May, then tough titties

This link is quite useful, go to page 10 for direct comparisons: http://www.agcasscotland.org.uk/resources/HE_guide.pdf
Reply 6
Original post by grazie

I think the cost of A Levels is unreasonably high..

£15-£50 per unit for the exams?

Unless you mean actually attending a college, which is some crazy sum. Tens of thousands of pounds for a set of A-levels as I remember it. Ridiculous. Just go private candidate.

If you do full time at a Scottish college it's free no matter how many you do... if you do less than full time I think the average is about £250 per Higher or something like that.

As for difficulty it varies by subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
An f'ed/h'ed college will no doubt let you do highers/advanced highers. At least the colleges in scotland let you do a-levels.
Just to say that most Advanced Higher's have a coursework/dissertation/investigation part to them and are not 100% examination. Same goes for some highers.

And as someone said above, there aren't many resources for some Advanced Highers but for most Highers there is a good selection of resources/learning materials.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Here's the scale as far as I understand it:

"Easy"|----AS -->-- Higher -->-- A2 Levels -->-- Advanced Highers----|Hard

Advanced Highers are the equivalent of first year at Uni.
Original post by KCosmo
Technically, you get the same amount of UCAS points for getting 5 A's at higher as you do for 3 A grades at A2. Yet english uni's ask for advanced highers aswell

Because, independent of difficulty, the courses will typically require the knowledge obtained by completing a full A level in the subject. For example, Higher Maths alone would not be suitable preparation for our first year maths course. Even the one for natural scientists rather than mathematicians!

They are worth the same amount of points

Corresponding Advanced Higher grades are worth 10 points more, at least just now. The A* lacks a corresponding grade, but - quite rightly, IMHO - ranks higher. I certainly think you're greatly overstating the case when you say 'much' harder. (But I'm not going to defend this view, because there are altogether far too many threads where this ground has been covered.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
I think it'd be nice if we did have an A* equivalent for Advanced Higher. Why shouldn't we be rewarded for getting A1s?
Original post by JordanR
I think it'd be nice if we did have an A* equivalent for Advanced Higher. Why shouldn't we be rewarded for getting A1s?

:dontknow: I think most of the universities who ask for A* also ask for A1. Cambridge and Imperial certainly do, and I don't doubt - but haven't confirmed - Oxford will.
Reply 13
Original post by pssp
Here's the scale as far as I understand it:

"Easy"|----AS -->-- Higher -->-- A2 Levels -->-- Advanced Highers----|Hard

Advanced Highers are the equivalent of first year at Uni.

This always comes up when we talk about it, but it seems a bit more like national pride than anything else :tongue:

I've done both and honestly it varies between the subjects. UCAS points are meaningless. Uni offers are meaningless.
Original post by mimx
Uni offers are meaningless.

To compare difficulty, perhaps. But in most other ways which are practically relevant, the parity established by universities and employers is the only one which matters. Again, this is explicitly not universally true, but I think it bears saying.
Reply 15
Well yeah, in comparing difficulty is what I meant.

Best thing to use for difficulty is probably stats on results (e.g. % score on first sitting), I'm sure they're available somewhere.
Reply 16
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Because, independent of difficulty, the courses will typically require the knowledge obtained by completing a full A level in the subject. For example, Higher Maths alone would not be suitable preparation for our first year maths course. Even the one for natural scientists rather than mathematicians!

Indeed, I take your point. I think this is why Scottish degrees are 4 years, to make up for the gap (and why if you do advanced highers pertinent to your subject, you can get direct entry into second year)

Original post by TheUnbeliever

Corresponding Advanced Higher grades are worth 10 points more, at least just now. The A* lacks a corresponding grade, but - quite rightly, IMHO - ranks higher. I certainly think you're greatly overstating the case when you say 'much' harder. (But I'm not going to defend this view, because there are altogether far too many threads where this ground has been covered.)

I thought that advanced highers had 10 points more aswell, but the link I put up said that they were both 120 point. Here's the link (page 10 shows the tariff points) http://www.agcasscotland.org.uk/resources/HE_guide.pdf
It might be the case that it has been revised since that was written.

I don't think that advanced highers are harder in terms of content, and level of assessment, but rather the timeframe in which you have to do them, and the nature of the assessments. I.e. you only get one year to do an advanced higher, and there is no chance of resits (although as someone rightly pointed out, there is normally some kind of investigation which give a certain percentage of the final score, but not for all advanced highers, e.g. advanced maths.)
Original post by mimx
Best thing to use for difficulty is probably stats on results (e.g. % score on first sitting), I'm sure they're available somewhere.

I've cited them in other renditions of this old song. Numerically, they're pretty similar. Adjusting for context (e.g. Advanced Higher provision is generally ****) is not a two-minute exercise, unfortunately.
Highers are less well regarded than A-levels, however because they are easier, you should be able to get higher grades, and can also study a wider range of subjects and people generally only do three a-levels, where as you do more highers - personally, i would do highers, but i don't know of any English institutions that offer highers...
Original post by KCosmo
It might be the case that it has been revised since that was written.

Yeah, it has been. It was around the time I applied, but I can't remember if it was that year or the next: 2009 or 2010. UCAS Tariff Tables

Latest

Trending

Trending