Results are out! Find what you Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

College Student and Homeless?

Announcements Posted on
Earn £10 in half an hour; help us test TSR's new search box 29-01-2016
  1. Offline

    If you are studying part-time and working under 16hrs a week, you'll be entitled to Job seekers allowance. I don't think you'll b entitled to income support, unless you are unable to work for some reason. Worse case...just before you have to leave your father, declare yourself homeless and go into a hostel, then you'll be placed on the housing list. Or try get into shared accommodation and get housing benefit. The only way you'll get housing benefit while sharing with your friend is if you get a tenant agreement from them stating how much your rent is per month.
  2. Offline

    Have you tried speaking to a charity like Samartians? They may provide you with some advice
  3. Offline

    I feel so sorry for you.

    If it were possible and you were in London, I would ask my parents whether you could live at our place.

    I don't find it right for your parents to leave you just like that. Must be very hard.

    Don't give up though. Keep studying, it's one of the only few things that will help to take you to the top and lead you to a well established life in the future.

    Invariably remember, there's always light at the end of the tunnel and things will get easier/better once the harsh patch passes by.

    Hang in there.
  4. Offline

    I know Shelter are a good place to ring, it is a freephone number and can help you.
  5. Offline

    (Original post by elldeegee)
    Sorry, but i don't understand how i have misunderstood you.

    Somebody said you can go into care if you are under 18.
    You replied, saying that you must have no contact with your parents.
    i reply to you saying that you don't have to have no contact with your parents.

    what have i missed?
    I believe the "must have no contact" was in answer to being able to claim IS and HB as a 16/17/18/19 year old, and wasn't referring to the foster care comment.


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 17, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR

It's Student Money Week

Find out which Q&As are happening today

Can you drive?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Post Office Money logo

Travelling abroad?

Preferential exchange rates on your euros and dollars.

BIC logo

Need more cash?

Five ways you can make a few quid as a student.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.