Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Long songs?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I listen to an album a lot of the time I find that my favourite song on it is one of the longest on it. Sometimes a song being a lot longer than the others gives it such a lot more scope and time for interesting musical ideas to develop. When long songs are done well they can be a lot better than songs of a standard length as they have to do something different to a verse/chorus/verse/chorus structure (not bashing that at all, some of my favourite artists use that style and it works for them) and so there is likely to be a lot of originality.

With the standard pop song being 2:40-4 minutes what songs do people like that tend to be a lot longer than this? Here are some of mine:

Love all of these songs, and tons more long ones.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The End by The Doors
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    The End by The Doors
    YES! Although I kind of prefer when the music's over
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Best song on that album imo

Another one i like.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    YES! Although I kind of prefer when the music's over
    They both rock my socks
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is one of my favourite songs of all time:

And these are pretty close:

Not a favourite by a long shot, but VEEEERY long:

Recently discovered, only listened once so can't consider it a favourite yet but it is very good, and very long:
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dream Theater's "Octavarium" is an amazing song that clocks in at 24 minutes. "The Odyssey", by Symphony X, is another personal favourite that is roughly the same length

The longest song I've ever heard was "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", also by Dream Theater, which lasts a monstrous 42 minutes! It's a good song but certainly stretches the limits of how long a song should really be.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL Avenged Sevenfold.

/Thread
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    My top 5 songs over 20 minutes in order of how I like them:

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to post it because I can't be bothered; Desolation Row by Bob Dylan, such a great song!
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray
    Led Zeppelin - In My Time of Dying
    Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
    Neu! - Hallogallo
    Pink Floyd - Interstellar Overdrive
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh Comely
    The Velvet Underground - Heroin
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thick as a Brick by Jethro Tull?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_master616)
    Opeth - Beneath the Mire

Agalloch - Fire Above, Ice Below
    I love these songs, Beneath the Mire is one of the best songs on Ghost Reveries.

FACB is probably Agalloch's best.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not especially long. I used to listen to a lot of Dream Theater who consistently produce 20-40 minute songs. The thing with Springsteen is that some of his albums, particularly Born to Run, could be an album by themselves. Although my favourite song on that album is actually the shortest one, Night, just under 3 minutes, which is unusual since I'm usually more for the ballads.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Joy Formidable have quite a few longer songs on their album. "The Everchanging Spectrum of a Lie", "Whirring" and "The Greatest Light is the Greatest Shade" are all fantastic songs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    Neutral Milk Hotel - Oh Comely
    I was going to say this, it is a great song.

How about Flaming Lips 24 hour song. I have only listened to some of it, but it seems all right. There are some clunky sections though.

Both Late Night, Maudlin Street and Life is a Pigsty by Morrissey are great songs and the Cure's Pictures of You, The Same Deep Water as You and Disintegration are all 7+ minutes and are some of my favourites.

I find any extended instrumental sections in songs tend to start get boring after a while, as I find lyrics the most intriguing part of music, therefore it is down for the singer/lyricist to keep me enthralled for an extended period of time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Three I personally love;

But i love pretty much all pink floyd songs :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    Dream Theater's "Octavarium" is an amazing song that clocks in at 24 minutes. "The Odyssey", by Symphony X, is another personal favourite that is roughly the same length

The longest song I've ever heard was "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", also by Dream Theater, which lasts a monstrous 42 minutes! It's a good song but certainly stretches the limits of how long a song should really be.
    I love the (extra) long DT tracks. I've been jamming to The Count of Tuscany at work a lot recently. I guess when you put In the Presence of Enemies parts 1 and 2 together its pretty long as well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think Alice by Sunn 0)))))))))))))))))) is quite good, but I just find most their stuff bores me to tears, same goes for most drone though tbh.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like trance music and this is the longest at nearly 13 minutes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx0KI...e_gdata_player

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 28, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.