The Student Room Group

Please help explain calculus to me

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jami74
Ah that's where I'm going wrong then I need a new c. Yes, of course I do and I realise why now. My x= -1 and my m=1 so does this look right? -1/1(-1) = 1. Is that my y= ?

So you found the gradient of the tangent, and then because the gradient of the normal is perpedicular, the gradient is -1/gradient of tangent.

and you know the equation of a straight line is y = mx + c

so you get the value for the gradient at the x coordinate of where the normal crosses the curve. (i.e. substituting x value into your dy/dx equation to get gradient)

then put in the value of m (-1/gradient of line), and x into the straight line equation. You also know the y coordinate of where the normal crosses the curve (or if you dont, substitute the x value into the original equation of the curve and solve), so put in that value.

you should now have an equation y = mx + c, where you only dont know 'c', so solve to find c.

Then you have the equation of the normal :smile:

Sorry basically wasnt sure exactly what you'd done so thought id write it all out for you to check against :smile:

edit: I think the -1/1(-1) is just mx. so no that is not y. y=mx+c, so you need to plug in the value of y at x=-1 and solve to find c. then you have your equation. unless iv missunderstood! :smile: - hope that helps anyway
(edited 12 years ago)
Salman Khan is your friend.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
Reply 22
What you say makes sense, but somehow I'm not getting anything sensible so am probably doing something really stupid.
Original post by just george
So you found the gradient of the tangent, and then because the gradient of the normal is perpedicular, the gradient is -1/gradient of tangent.

The m is the gradient, right? So my gradient of my tangent equals m= 1 therefore the gradient of the normal is -1/1

and you know the equation of a straight line is y = mx + c

so you get the value for the gradient at the x coordinate of where the normal crosses the curve. (i.e. substituting x value into your dy/dx equation to get gradient)

I'm trying to find the normal at x= -1. So dy/dx= 6(-1) +7
m= 1?

then put in the value of m (-1/gradient of line), and x into the straight line equation. You also know the y coordinate of where the normal crosses the curve (or if you dont, substitute the x value into the original equation of the curve and solve), so put in that value.

you should now have an equation y = mx + c, where you only dont know 'c', so solve to find c.

Then you have the equation of the normal :smile:

y= -2
y =mx+c
-2=-1/1(-1)+c

-2 + -1/1(-1) =c
-2 -1 = -3
c= -3
y= 1x -3

Sorry basically wasnt sure exactly what you'd done so thought id write it all out for you to check against :smile:

edit: I think the -1/1(-1) is just mx. so no that is not y. y=mx+c, so you need to plug in the value of y at x=-1 and solve to find c. then you have your equation. unless iv missunderstood! :smile: - hope that helps anyway

Thank-you for trying to help.
Reply 23
Original post by jami74
What you say makes sense, but somehow I'm not getting anything sensible so am probably doing something really stupid.

The m is the gradient, right? So my gradient of my tangent equals m= 1 therefore the gradient of the normal is -1/1

m= 1?

y= -2
y =mx+c
-2=-1/1(-1)+c

-2 + -1/1(-1) =c
-2 -1 = -3
c= -3
y= 1x -3

Did you read what I wrote sweetie? it might help if your still stuck.
Reply 24
Original post by Lovin
Did you read what I wrote sweetie? it might help if your still stuck.

Thank-you, I did but I didn't understand the y-y1 and x-x1 bit because I didn't know I had two y's and two x's :frown:

These numbers have been going round and round my head all night but I'll find someone at college today who knows what I'm supposed to be doing and who will be able to point out where I've gone wrong.
Original post by jami74

m= 1?

y= -2
y =mx+c
-2=-1/1(-1)+c

-2 + -1/1(-1) =c
-2 -1 = -3
c= -3
y= 1x -3

Everything youv done is right, except that last line. the 1 is the gradient of the tangent, the gradient of the normal is -1. so y = -x - 3

I think it might be a bit confusing using 'm' as the gradient of the tangent. because in y=mx+c for the normal, the gradient would be -1/m, not m.. if that makes sense?

if you say the gradient of the tangent is 'n' = 1

the gradient of the normal is -1/n = -1 which = the 'm' in y=mx+c
Reply 26
http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Can't recommend this website enough!!! Just watch the video about stationary points and differentiation. The guy makes it really logical and easy to understand.
Reply 27
Everything youv done is right, except that last line. the 1 is the gradient of the tangent, the gradient of the normal is -1. so y = -x - 3

I think it might be a bit confusing using 'm' as the gradient of the tangent. because in y=mx+c for the normal, the gradient would be -1/m, not m.. if that makes sense?

if you say the gradient of the tangent is 'n' = 1

the gradient of the normal is -1/n = -1 which = the 'm' in y=mx+c

Thank-you very much :smile:

Original post by ummm
http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/

Can't recommend this website enough!!! Just watch the video about stationary points and differentiation. The guy makes it really logical and easy to understand.

And thank-you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest