The Student Room Group

Mini one or cooper convertible (:

Scroll to see replies

For something so important, you should at least read up on it. Jeez.
Original post by ilovehobnobs
I dont know if this was the point NYPrincess was trying to make, but when I got my Mini I was under the assumption it had a BMW engine until my driving instructor told me they weren't.

Well yes and no. They aren't bmw engines like the ones built in germany used in actual bmw's but the engines used pre 2006 were made by a company co-owned by bmw called tritec and now they are made by another bmw co-owned company called prince. Infact the post 2006 prince engines are actually co-developed by bmw not just owned by them, so in that sense yes they are bmw. At the end of the day mini is only owned by bmw it is not bmw, mini is a car make in it's own right. Just like ferrari might be owned by fiat but is still a ferrari and not a fiat.
Reply 22
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Well yes and no. They aren't bmw engines like the ones built in germany used in actual bmw's but the engines used pre 2006 were made by a company co-owned by bmw called tritec and now they are made by another bmw co-owned company called prince. Infact the post 2006 prince engines are actually co-developed by bmw not just owned by them, so in that sense yes they are bmw. At the end of the day mini is only owned by bmw it is not bmw, mini is a car make in it's own right. Just like ferrari might be owned by fiat but is still a ferrari and not a fiat.

Contrary to popular believe, no BMW 4cyl engines are produced in Germany, all 4cyl BMW engines of both petrol and diesel kinds are produced at a former British Leyland engine factory in Hams Hall, Britain.... both the Prince and BMW engines are built here and sent to assembly sites all over the world. Been that way since 2001.
Reply 23
Original post by Sadsnail
It's true I wouldn't use it that often as a convertible, I just want one and they don't cost much more really! And there is non-convertible coopers - I will have a look now :P

You could lookout for either of the cars with a sunroof instead of having a convertible.

Anyway a new MINI will be launched next year, expect prices of the current model ones to fall further as the new one will be significantly better than the outgoing one as it is an all new car designed to use BMW engines rather than PSA engines.

As for Cooper or One, it is quite difficult to judge as both had huge lists of options and some One can be even better equipped than a Cooper. I had a One D last year, it was orange with red leather seats where many of the Coopers only had cloth seats.

If you're buying one that is 1-2 years old, it might be worth paying a bit more and getting it through MINI or BMW garage instead of a used car trader. Depending on the garage, some of them would throw in up to 3 more servicing and extend the factory warranty for up to 5 years.

After owning 2 MINIs, I can tell you parts for this car isn't cheap and many things that go wrong can be rather expensive to rectify especially anything to do with the gearbox.
The amount of incorrect information, and pure bull**** at the start of this thread made me cringe.

Then again the typical Mini buyer isn't usually informed about anything.
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
The amount of incorrect information, and pure bull**** at the start of this thread made me cringe.

Then again the typical Mini buyer isn't usually informed about anything.

What's incorrect?
Reply 26
Original post by Herr
You could lookout for either of the cars with a sunroof instead of having a convertible.

Anyway a new MINI will be launched next year, expect prices of the current model ones to fall further as the new one will be significantly better than the outgoing one as it is an all new car designed to use BMW engines rather than PSA engines.

As for Cooper or One, it is quite difficult to judge as both had huge lists of options and some One can be even better equipped than a Cooper. I had a One D last year, it was orange with red leather seats where many of the Coopers only had cloth seats.

If you're buying one that is 1-2 years old, it might be worth paying a bit more and getting it through MINI or BMW garage instead of a used car trader. Depending on the garage, some of them would throw in up to 3 more servicing and extend the factory warranty for up to 5 years.

After owning 2 MINIs, I can tell you parts for this car isn't cheap and many things that go wrong can be rather expensive to rectify especially anything to do with the gearbox.

How much by do you think prices would fall and how long would it take?!
Reply 27
Original post by Sadsnail
How much by do you think prices would fall and how long would it take?!

Between 15-20% minimum.

How long? Within weeks of the new one going on sale.
Reply 28
I used to have a 51 plate cooper S.
I can't say I was a fan. Despite the leather interior and spec it still felt cheap and nasty. Never mind the fact it had MASSIVE torque steer issues!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending