Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think smartphones are 'worth it'?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I had mine stolen in France and had to revert back to my old Nokia C2, I haven't missed it. Anyone else found this or don't have a smartphone?

I don't dislike smartphones don't get me wrong, but I do (at this moment especially) find them a bit unnecessary.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really only use my smartphone for Youtube or the funny jokes app, and a few texts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you use it, I only text and call so for me, no. I don't have one anymore, but I used to and still only used it for texting and calling only. :-)
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's completely revolutionised my visits to the toilet.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I definitely came to rely on my Blackberry a bit too much, which I realised when it broke on me a few weeks ago. I used it for maps, emails, internet, news... and the normal functions ofc. Without it I found myself less distracted and I didn't feel the need to compulsively check Twitter every second, but on the contrary I felt SO out of the loop. WHAT IF SOMETHING TWEETWORTHY HAPPENED?

I do find how ironically anti-social they are annoying though. Like, if you're out with your friends having dinner or something, and the phones are all on the table, checked every 10 seconds. But that's a whole 'nother debate.
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find it a little tricky to SSH on one of these:

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_master616)
    Ever since I had mine stolen in France and had to revert back to my old Nokia C2, I haven't missed it. Anyone else found this or don't have a smartphone?

I don't dislike smartphones don't get me wrong, but I do (at this moment especially) find them a bit unnecessary.
    I agree, some people can be put off by the out growing consumer demand for iPhone's or whichever smart phone is available.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    they're just a bit dear these days. I mean, the high costs are always hidden by that allure of a comfortable 24 month plan nowadays aren't they, but that's what I can't help but think.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I don't like them, because they are good, but I personally only use my phone for texting and phoning so do not see the point in shelling out so much money for all the extra gadgets you get, but that's just me.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got my first smartphone last November after being completely oblivious to them up until I purchased one, and before that I just used a cheap £10 phone from Tesco. I honestly think they are amazing, the sheer amount of technology you can fit into one small piece of hardware is amazing. I haven't used it to its full potential which will be on trips and city excursions navigating and finding places. So yes, they are brilliant, but do I think they are worth the high asking prices for them? No.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eh, it's a luxury really. I'm posting this from my smartphone for example. I don't think it's really necessary, but it's nice to have. That being said sometimes I'd be better off without it as it just feeds my need to be online. But the maps function is brilliant!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    ... this
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    As the above poster said, I'm also posting this on my smartphone and I can live without them. They are unnecessary but it makes my life a bit easier e.g I can check my email quickly, post on TSR easily without getting my laptop, quick search on google without laptop.

Having said that, I only have my smartphone for games but it can be a disadvantage if you get addicted to it like I did last year. My parents took away my device for 2/3 months, devastated at first but it was right thing to do :yep:
    Now I'm not so reliant on it
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    Now thats a fetish I dont want to hear about
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find my Blackberry very useful when I need to quickly look up a train route or the weather. Or even if I'm just bored of the music on my phone, I'll listen to stuff on Youtube or go online to download more songs.

I think I could probably make do without a smartphone like I have in the past, but I do really like the benefits of them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never had one. Both because I have never been able to afford one (or justify the expense) and also because I have pretty bad signal at home (barely get 2G coverage).
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    I really only use my smartphone for Youtube or the funny jokes app, and a few texts.
    Ahh... a fellow funny jokes app user
    • 67 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's given me something to tweak. I love tweaking things.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    It must be good to surf the web at will, but not having a smart phone means I don't get distracted by my phone and it's much cheaper.

They are fun to play games with, but I don't intend to buy one, I'd get way too distracted.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by This Honest)
    As the above poster said, I'm also posting this on my smartphone and I can live without them. They are unnecessary but it makes my life a bit easier e.g I can check my email quickly, post on TSR easily without getting my laptop, quick search on google without laptop.
    Exactly this.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 26, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.