The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL or UCL???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by confusedexcited
Fair enough, personally I'm starting to favour KCL over UCL, simply because the UCL union is appallingly and embarassingly bad, whilst KCLSU is superb.

No one actually gives a **** about the state of the union. London is big, delve a little deeper.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I heard the girls are all ugly at Strand Poly. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just saying.
Original post by sumergocogito
Are you at UCL?

If so, would you mind sharing your experience there with me?

Nah, i'm actually going to KCL next year. But I've a few friends at UCL all of whom say the union is a complete shambles.

Original post by icancount23
No one actually gives a **** about the state of the union. London is big, delve a little deeper.

Yeah, but if you're not a londoner it's incredibly intimidating and a union provides for a nice medium which lets you get eased in.

Original post by Busby_Babe
I heard the girls are all ugly at Strand Poly. Don't shoot the messenger I'm just saying.

KCL girls are famously fine, like UCL girls!

Yeah, but if you're not a londoner it's incredibly intimidating and a union provides for a nice medium which lets you get eased in.

I don't understand how people find london intimidating. Moving to London would be just as intimidating as moving to manchester. Okay the union might be useful for getting a drink during freshers but after that you quickly work out where is decent and after first term you will never go to the union again. I think having a weak union in inevitable for a london university. The reason why it is **** is because there is so much other stuff going on so the union would never be able to compete. In universities which have 'good' unions the nightlife is dull and monotonous. The events and club nights that they put on are ****ing lame.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by icancount23
I don't understand how people find london intimidating. Moving to London would be just as intimidating as moving to manchester. Okay the union might be useful for getting a drink during freshers but after that you quickly work out where is decent and after first term you will never go to the union again. I think having a weak union in inevitable for a london university. The reason why it is **** is because there is so much other stuff going on so the union would never be able to compete. In universities which have 'good' unions the nightlife is dull and monotonous. The events and club nights that they put on are ****ing lame.

nah, london's on a whole different level because it's almost like a conglomeration of cities, each area with it's own distinct subculture far beyond somewhere like manchester. KCLSU is pretty strong, though perhaps that's because of Tutus.
Nah, i'm actually going to KCL next year. But I've a few friends at UCL all of whom say the union is a complete shambles.

KCL girls are famously fine, like UCL girls!

I hope you enjoy KCL. I'm sure I'll get over the union thing.

As an international student, I will be very much intimidated by London, but everybody manages and so will I. I'm sure the union can't be that bad.
nah, london's on a whole different level because it's almost like a conglomeration of cities, each area with it's own distinct subculture far beyond somewhere like manchester. KCLSU is pretty strong, though perhaps that's because of Tutus.

True London is on a different level in terms of size, but pretty much most students mainly stay in a couple of areas especially in first years: camden, fitzrovia, soho. You might occasionally go to farringdon or elephant and castle on a nightout but generally you spend your time in a small familiar area.
Original post by sumergocogito
I hope you enjoy KCL. I'm sure I'll get over the union thing.

As an international student, I will be very much intimidated by London, but everybody manages and so will I. I'm sure the union can't be that bad.

Kings' union is better, but I doubt UCL's will ruin your time there. If it did, I would probably question your priorities.
Original post by TurboCretin
Kings' union is better, but I doubt UCL's will ruin your time there. If it did, I would probably question your priorities.

Haha. That is quite true.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
hate to say it guys, but the point earlier on about career prospects is a good one. I know UCL is a top uni and all, and is meant to have a tip-top law school... thing is, in all the various vac schemes/open days/assessment days that i've done in my long years.. I am still yet to meet a UCL lawyer!

This isn't a partisan point, but a serious question - I really can't fathom it - where are all the UCL lawyers?!! i.e. on my last vac scheme, there were FOUR KCL people, couple LSE, standard contingent of Oxbridge types and other unis (including Reading Leeds etc) but not a single UCL lawyer. I swear this has been the case everytime... just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

final point: I turned down UCL law for KCL law, because although the UCL is clearly miles ahead in its broad offering, KCL law is by and far the best department at King's - and people know it. It's a bloody good law school and it's definitely going places..... similarly for Queen Mary. P.s. I remember my interview at UCL clearly - if they were still willing to make me an offer after my (absolutely shocking) performance, then standards must be awfully low!

UCL sucks! LOL!!
Reply 70
UCL. It's one of the top 6 Uni's in the UK. KCL isn't.
Reply 71
Original post by suffocation1992
I thought I was the only one who noticed this?! On all the Open Days, interview days, assessment centres and vac schemes I have done (in terms of law firms, by the way) I have not met any UCL law students :confused: There are always plenty from LSE and KCL, but hardly any from UCL?! Where are they?!

From what I understand, UCL law take far less students than KCL did (although KCL has addressed this recently by reducing the intake) but UCL has more international students. Perhaps this explains why we see less UCL students...UCL law is still one of the best faculties in the country for law - maybe the UCL students are just doing other things rather than the standard commercial law route which is practically forced upon everyone at KCL. I mean, fortunately that's what I actually want to do, but I know a lot of people in my year don't know what to do.

I have met many UCL lawyers, only none of them are British :nod:
Reply 72
What, on the law firm circuit? Which firms? Perhaps they all end up at the magic circle firms, which is not where I have been applying really.

Actually, I know them on a more personal level. My soon-to-be brother-in-law is a UCL alumni and a registered solicitor, and my cousin has three friends who are lawyers as well, and two graduated from UCL and one from ... I can't remember now, but I think I got the point across :colondollar: I think UCL is very highly regarded for law here, and I'm currently in India.
That is quite a hipster thing to say! I haven't noticed any subcultures lol.

How is that a hipster thing to say?! It'd be hipster if i said, 'there are many subcultures, but you probably haven't heard about them..'

What I mean is that parts of London are so disperate that they could almost be considered different towns, and that this is pretty widespread.
Sorry, but that is an ignorant thing to say.

Have you not considered that he or she might be an international student? KCL and UCL have massive international student populations, they are certainly not universities with majority British students.

Coming to another country to study can be disorientating and intimidating, especially going to a mega city like London. It can be worrying for a student's prnts too. There is so much riding on moving abroad to study, it all has to work out otherwise it's a waste of money and time. There can be a lot of culture shock, depression even. There is so much to learn when you move abroad especially outside of university life - adjusting to local customs, transport, costs etc. When you take into account that a student is moving to London, which can be quite an intimidating place for even home students from small villages or towns to move to, yes, absolutely it can be intimidating.

mehhh, international students shouldn't find london anymore intimidating than any other major city. All cities will have a big culture shock. In fact london will probably be less of a shock due to how multicultural it is and due to the large international students community
Reply 75
Original post by pop101
UCL. It's one of the top 6 Uni's in the UK. KCL isn't.

You can't take one league table as gospel; the 2012 QS world law league table shows that KCL is above UCL for example.

Original post by googaa
Actually, I know them on a more personal level. My soon-to-be brother-in-law is a UCL alumni and a registered solicitor, and my cousin has three friends who are lawyers as well, and two graduated from UCL and one from ... I can't remember now, but I think I got the point across :colondollar: I think UCL is very highly regarded for law here, and I'm currently in India.

As Ghandi, a once influential figure in India, studied at UCL for law, it most probably encouraged many aspiring law students in India to choose to study at UCL for law as well.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 1broader
hate to say it guys, but the point earlier on about career prospects is a good one. I know UCL is a top uni and all, and is meant to have a tip-top law school... thing is, in all the various vac schemes/open days/assessment days that i've done in my long years.. I am still yet to meet a UCL lawyer!

You seem to have a lot of experience in this field. If you don't mind sharing, I was wondering how you liked the open days and vacation schemes? Which law firms did you apply to, and which did you end up going to? Was the process harder than you expected? What did you learn and gain from this time spent in their offices?

I don't mean to bombard you with questions, but I'm really curious and interested in applying come December. Thanks.
Reply 77
I genuinely dont understand why people don't just instantly go with the most prestigious choice
Original post by funkydee
I genuinely dont understand why people don't just instantly go with the most prestigious choice

Because often there's not a clearly more prestigious one, because some people value academic excellence (weirdly, not everyone goes to university just to get a job afterwards). Because some universities have a very different social life. For innumerable reasons. Think more! :tongue:
Reply 79
Because often there's not a clearly more prestigious one, because some people value academic excellence (weirdly, not everyone goes to university just to get a job afterwards). Because some universities have a very different social life. For innumerable reasons. Think more! :tongue:

i've always been sceptical about social life, i'm one of those who thinks uni is what you make of it.

I'm a simple guy as long as there's other people, places to go, things to do and freedom I'm not too fussed.

I guess it depends on character

Quick Reply

Latest