Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seriously?? Is it just me??

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or is the world becoming increasingly more centered around sexualised images. I mean, I would probably respect a company more and be more likely to buy the product if they wern't using a sexual image. For example, car adverts. I recently saw a car advert which consisted of a topless guy standing next to a broken down car and two hardly dressed women leaning over the bonet to 'fix it'. If anything this disgusted me and I didn't even leave the TV on long enough to see the actual brand that was being advertised.
    It's mad, even music videos are becoming so sexualised that it's unsuitable for kids to watch their favourite stars performing...rhianna for example. I find it refreshing when there's a music video like the one for 'Just the way you are' by Bruno Mars, where it's actually done very well and artistically, or the 'compare the market/meerkat' adverts which are to the point and hilarious at the same time. Does anyone feel the same???
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    same.. this is part of the plan --> ILLUMINATI LOL.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. But unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on your stance) sex sells. Its cliched but true, sadly. :sadnod:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie Chaplin)
    Is it just me or is the world becoming increasingly more centered around sexualised images. I mean, I would probably respect a company more and be more likely to buy the product if they wern't using a sexual image. For example, car adverts. I recently saw a car advert which consisted of a topless guy standing next to a broken down car and two hardly dressed women leaning over the bonet to 'fix it'. If anything this disgusted me and I didn't even leave the TV on long enough to see the actual brand that was being advertised.
    It's mad, even music videos are becoming so sexualised that it's unsuitable for kids to watch their favourite stars performing...rhianna for example. I find it refreshing when there's a music video like the one for 'Just the way you are' by Bruno Mars, where it's actually done very well and artistically, or the 'compare the market/meerkat' adverts which are to the point and hilarious at the same time. Does anyone feel the same???

I agree. It's really awkward when we're watching day-time TV as a family and something disgusting like that pops up and we're all kinda frantically grabbing the remote and trying to change the channel. It's kind of embarrassing, because I have really young siblings, and I don't like it if they are exposed to this kind of stuff on TV, not at their age...
    Shame really...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't bother me much.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you're not the only one, but the sad truth about advertising is that sex sells. Some people are starting to complain though, maybe we'll see some changes in the future. I feel that the worst is yet to come though.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find the sofa advert where theres couples stood kissing in the rain next to various sofas really bizzare. Not in an offensive way, I just find it a surreal combination of images.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think music videos are the worst.

I can't believe the kind of really sexual stuff that is allowed in pop videos aimed at a core audience of 12 year olds.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_and_roll)
    I think music videos are the worst.

I can't believe the kind of really sexual stuff that is allowed in pop videos aimed at a core audience of 12 year olds.
    Oh but it's "tasteful, darlin'".
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that was a coca cola ad? Where "unlikely" things occurred with every sip.

But I have to agree with you.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No your right it is everywhere, and there was some debate on tv about it a while ago...

just imagine what it will be like in 10 years if there is no intervention... :drool:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the lyrics of most pop songs are getting more sexual these days, bring back the good ol' innocent days of blue/westlife/steps/s club 7

Although when you're young you don't realise what they mean, so if I did go through the lyrics of said artists, there could be a few suggestive lines
    • 14 followers

It's really not just you, I completely agree. I think people are exposed to too much from a young age
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even if they have, which is probably true when compared to decades ago when a shin was naughty.
    Parents have a duty to raise their kids to not look up to whores like rihanna and nicky minaj, parents like to blame the television because they were too lazy to do some ****ing parenting.

And certain types of cars are aimed at markets where sex will sell. You won't see a naked girl on a renault scenic or a family car but sex does sell cars aimed at a younger demographic.

I personally don't think we should censor anything from children, we should be brutally honest with them from a young age. I think the lack of imagination in adults is partly attributed to shattering their childhood beliefs and partly due to overstandardisation in schools.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, was starting to think all morals had left the earth lol :P No, it just hit me when my little sister was dancing about singing along to 'I'm sexy and I know it' and a few others by rhianna it hit me that the lyrics in most of them are so graphic and she has no idea... These things must have an effect on them in some ways...I mean goodness I was shocked at rhianna's performance on the xfactor 2 years ago. My little sister and brother were watching that and I was sitting there squirming and trying to find the remote to turn it off! I would respect artists more if they came out in a modest dress of even jeans and a t-shirt tbh and sung a song like Jessie J's 'Pricetag' where it actually has a moral message to share...These are the ones we should be promoting I think.
    My little sister asked me yesterday which music artist I'd like to meet and tbh, I'm not sure...I'd probably say none as there are none that I really respect...if any it would be Adele but apart from that I can't really think of anyone
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlie Chaplin)

I think your right, i've noticed that as well. Things like the pespsi and cola adverts where a chick comes and picks the guy up from a helicopter and 5 secs later, BOOM massive explosion.lol.

Even all the Lynx adverts are themed around one guy and a bunch of girls. Ridiculous tbh. I mean they only target the one group of customers- the younger teens and adults rather than a diversity of consumers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sex sells, simple.

I don't really care to be honest, and I for one do like sexy girls dancing in music videos. If it sells and people like it, it is good.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred.Spirit)
    I agree. It's really awkward when we're watching day-time TV as a family and something disgusting like that pops up and we're all kinda frantically grabbing the remote and trying to change the channel. It's kind of embarrassing, because I have really young siblings, and I don't like it if they are exposed to this kind of stuff on TV, not at their age...
    Shame really...
    Loool. Thats what happens in my family too. But usually one person has the remote, and they get a dirty look from my dad, even though its not their fault plus it just gives my parents an excuse to send us to bed. They say theirs nothing on for kids after eight pm.
    Have you seen the stuff that comes on the kids channels nowadays?! Its sooo bad with everyone having girlfriends/boyfriends. I dont let my sister watch Tracy Beaker anymore even though I used to watch it when I was younger and that kind of stuff barely came on. Its all getting increasingly worse.
    What is the world coming to..??
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Everything is waay to sexualised. It's getting beyond a joke now. Seriously you even have to keep on eye on the kids t.v channels.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.