Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do white people and black-Caribbean people have high rates of family breakdown?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pr0view)
    I'm sure an agreement can be reached through direct democracy not some stingy council.
    Attachment 137057
    People actually having a say in their own lives goes against the liberal paradigm. They might have illiberal opinions! :eek:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    Voting for the BNP, National Front, or some other conservative party.
    FPTP ensures no one but Labour/Tories/Libs gets any proportion of influence without a ridiculous proportion of the support. Even Lib Dems are pretty obsolete and they're supposedly in "power".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    People actually having a say in their own lives goes against the liberal paradigm. They might have illiberal opinions! :eek:
    I'm sure we could "educate" these clearly bigoted people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Surely religionist (not racist)?
    Mosqueist?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    De facto I have.
    No you haven't. You have linked it to the presence of particular criminal persons, not a building.

If the majority of the populace wishes to limit immigration and opposes multiculturalism, shouldn't one of the main parties represent these views? Alot of people that oppose multiculturalism also oppose THE HOLOCAUST so dislike the bnp. Moron.
    Nothing is stopping people from running for PM/MP. If people like their policies they will vote for them.

What would be the point you wouldn't accept the poll because it didn't poll every single person in the country.
    Source them and I will give you my verdict.

It's only been that way post 60s. That paradigm has only been achieved by restricting the rights of the majority of British people.
    Concurrently, people had the right to form a party that opposed this paradigm, but they didn't.

The populace of the town where it's going to be built emphatically don't want it?
    I'm sure an amiable agreement can be reached. Without a real-life situation with knowledge of any alternative parameters I can't evaluate properly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure an agreement can be reached through direct democracy not some stingy council.
    Attachment 137057
    I have no problem with restricting a building because of its aesthetic incongruity.

FPTP ensures no one but Labour/Tories/Libs gets any proportion of influence without a ridiculous proportion of the support. Even Lib Dems are pretty obsolete and they're supposedly in "power".
    People had a vote on that and didn't want it changed.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No you haven't. You have linked it to the presence of particular criminal persons, not a building.

Nothing is stopping people from running for PM/MP. If people like their policies they will vote for them.

Source them and I will give you my verdict.

Concurrently, people had the right to form a party that opposed this paradigm, but they didn't.

I'm sure an amiable agreement can be reached. Without a real-life situation with knowledge of any alternative parameters I can't evaluate properly.
    Enoch Powell did and other politicians ran him out of office. He had 80-90 percent support from the populace.

Strong stuff.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because family breakdown in Asian/Italian/Greek families just isn't an option. The (over)generalisation would be that Greek/Italian families are matriarchal, and Asian families patriarchal. Two of my best friends at UCL were Italian and Greek and the level of integration amongst their families - to an English person - was extreme.

I can't speak for Black Caribbean families, but this sort of hierarchical family framework has been breaking down amongst White British families since the '60s.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Enoch Powell did and other politicians ran him out of office. He had 80-90 percent support from the populace.

Strong stuff.
    Elaborate? How did they '[run] him out of office'?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mosqueist?
    Monotheist-ist?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with restricting a building because of its aesthetic incongruity.
    Good, I would be much more democratic for the decision to be taken by the local people rather than their "representatives" would it not?

People had a vote on that and didn't want it changed.
    I didn't want it changed, AV is the next least proportional system going, precisely the reason that the Conservatives were willing to let it go to a referendum rather than some PR system.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Monotheist-ist?
    Abrahamic-monotheismism?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good, I would be much more democratic for the decision to be taken by the local people rather than their "representatives" would it not?
    I only said that because it directly affects them and they should rightfully have a say in it. Otherwise, they shouldn't be able to restrict a mosque just because it's a mosque. Council officials should primarily decide where it should go in respect to traffic implications, proximity to conflicting buildings, etc.

I didn't want it changed, AV is the next least proportional system going, precisely the reason that the Conservatives were willing to let it go to a referendum rather than some PR system.
    Okay. Why aren't people voting for the BNP or National Front, or forming their own political parties if immigration and a false understanding of 'mutliculturalism' are manifest issues?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just realised how wildly off-topic this thread has become. :erm:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the hardships of socioeconomic deprivation combined with the general culture of family cohesiveness not being a strong expectation are responsible.
    Poor South Asians have low divorce rates, yet white people who are often more wealthy are also experiencing this.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I'm excluding black-African people because in my experience they tend to have quite strong family ties but obviously this is definitely the case for Asians/Chinese, Arabs and Italians/Greeks. I remember reading that over 50% of black Caribbean kids born in Britain are raised by a single mother whereas only 1% of Indian women give birth outside of wedlock. Is this a problem in society or does it not matter too much? Why is there such a big disparity along racial lines? With white people working class families tend to have a much higher rate of family breakdown as well.

Perhaps the hardships of socioeconomic deprivation combined with the general culture of family cohesiveness not being a strong expectation are responsible.
    Regarding the Caribbean phenomenon, I learnt that it stemmed from the trans-atlantic slave trade. Apparently, in Africa, most of our ancestors were very matriarchal and family values were very important. During slavery, enslaved men often saw the slave master rape various women on the plantation. Because of this, monotony became a thing of the past. It is now part of the afro-Caribbean male mindset that men should have relationships with numerous women.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHansa)
    Poor South Asians have low divorce rates, yet white people who are often more wealthy are also experiencing this.
    I suppose socio-cultural influences are predominant, in this case. Being in economic hardship acts as a major stressor to any relationship, but South Asian families, broadly speaking, as a matter of culture may feel an increased obligation to be committed to each other during tough times.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate? How did they '[run] him out of office'?
    Educate yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFo1xOSlGgg
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only said that because it directly affects them and they should rightfully have a say in it. Otherwise, they shouldn't be able to restrict a mosque just because it's a mosque. Council officials should primarily decide where it should go in respect to traffic implications, proximity to conflicting buildings, etc.

Okay. Why aren't people voting for the BNP or National Front, or forming their own political parties if immigration and a false understanding of 'mutliculturalism' are manifest issues?
    Because as I have said numerous times, people that oppose multiculturalism don't immediately support other BNP policies, like criminalising gays or denying the holocaust. I've never seen you respond to this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not watching an entire documentary as an answer to a simple question. Summarise how they 'ran him out of office'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.