Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do white people and black-Caribbean people have high rates of family breakdown?

Announcements Posted on
The News & Current Affairs and Society forums need more moderators! 20-04-2014
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    :laugh: What kind of terrible analogy is that? People have the legal right to form their own parties if they want and have protection from people who aim to truncate that process unlawfully. If most of the country would be in support of such a party, in what way would the resistance to the party be strong enough to prevent its formation?

Your argument is predicated on wholly baseless hyperbole and speculation.

Because people are docile and the issues you claim are manifest are in fact benign.

lolwut

He clearly had more than enough backing to form a splinter party. :confused:
    That's totally untrue. BNP membership lists are leaked leading to reprisals. BNP (and maybe ukip?) members can't be cops, teachers etc. They can't be allowed to openly challenge the liberal paradigm.

Because people have been intimidated and had their right to free speech taken.

BBC said that, not me.

When was the last time in British history that a splinter party got in?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    That's totally untrue. BNP membership lists are leaked leading to reprisals. BNP (and maybe ukip?) members can't be cops, teachers etc. They can't be allowed to openly challenge the liberal paradigm.
    Not being given access to those jobs doesn't affect them politically, as politics are forbidden from those jobs anyway. :confused:

They have legal protection from hostile persons.

Because people have been intimidated and had their right to free speech taken.
    Docile. They don't care enough, Bonged. What are you doing other than arguing on the Internet with someone whose opinion you are highly unlikely to modify? Are you considering entering into politics or are you going to sit at home, scared, because you have managed to convince yourself of an unsubstantiated fantasy that the result is unreachable because those horrible immigrants are all going to beat you up and rape your 'white' women? Keep on blaming everyone but yourself.

BBC said that, not me.
    I don't understand. Where did all of his support go following his dismissal?

When was the last time in British history that a splinter party got in?
    In this case, given his support was so large it should carry over to this splinter party. They support his individual policies, not the party of which he was a member.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not being given access to those jobs doesn't affect them politically, as politics are forbidden from those jobs anyway. :confused:

They have legal protection from hostile persons.

Docile. They don't care enough, Bonged. What are you doing other than arguing on the Internet with someone whose opinion you are highly unlikely to modify? Are you considering entering into politics or are you going to sit at home, scared, because you have managed to convince yourself of an unsubstantiated fantasy that the result is unreachable because those horrible immigrants are all going to beat you up and rape your 'white' women? Keep on blaming everyone but yourself.

I don't understand. Where did all of his support go following his dismissal?

In this case, given his support was so large it should carry over to this splinter party. They support his individual policies, not the party of which he was a member.
    Lol. You've betrayed your own fantasy there. That anyone that disagrees with the current liberal paradigm is a big racist meanie that is scared of "horrible immigrants". I don't currently own any women of any hue.

Interesting question, one for the documentary makers.

You didn't answer the question.

Insult me again or use one more smiley and I shan't be indulging your boredom that derives from a lack of human interaction.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol. You've betrayed your own fantasy there. That anyone that disagrees with the current liberal paradigm is a big racist meanie that is scared of "horrible immigrants". I don't currently own any women of any hue.
    Okay. Are you personally doing anything material to change what you dislike? If not, why not? Why is baseless speculation being used as justification against action? You are self-oppressing and blaming it on fictitious societal oppression. Keep on blaming everyone but yourself.

You didn't answer the question.
    I wanted to know why you don't believe Powell would have substantial support. As you don't know, this vein of the discussion has ended.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Insult me again or use one more smiley and I shan't be indulging your boredom that derives from a lack of human interaction.
    It's always amusing when, in a two-person conversation to which both persons have dedicated equal time, the insult of not being sociable extends to only one party. :curious: I'm doing an essay and having a meaningless discussion—how about you?

Feel free to run away and keep blaming everyone but yourself, though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay. Are you personally doing anything material to change what you dislike? If not, why not? Why is baseless speculation being used as justification against action? You are self-oppressing and blaming it on fictitious societal oppression. Keep on blaming everyone but yourself.

I wanted to know why you don't believe Powell would have substantial support. As you don't know, this vein of the discussion has ended.
    What can I do? Go out into my mostly non-white street and start shouting support for Powell? You are aware that I WOULD be physically attacked and perhaps arrested?

I can't change anything anyway, I obviously don't support repatriation etc, the most I can hope for is that free speech makes a comeback. Unlikely as yourself and other liberals agitate against it. If anything the noose is tightening.

I believe he would have. There wasn't a means of expressing this support considering our political system.

As you included a smiley, I shan't be babysitting you tonight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What can I do? Go out into my mostly non-white street and start shouting support for Powell? You are aware that I WOULD be physically attacked and perhaps arrested?
    Blaming everyone but yourself. I'm sure there's information on Directgov on the appropriate procedure.

I can't change anything anyway, I obviously don't support repatriation etc, the most I can hope for is that free speech makes a comeback. Unlikely as yourself and other liberals agitate against it. If anything the noose is tightening.
    Blaming everyone but yourself. Why can't you change anything? All of the other docile people have this mentality; why don't you be the one to break this defeatist thinking?

I believe he would have. There wasn't a means of expressing this support considering our political system.
    Why wasn't there a means given his support? How was his support measured it if couldn't be expressed? :curious:

As you included a smiley, I shan't be babysitting you tonight.
    :cracker:
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonesomewherexx)
    I am Black African, I think the main reason black families tend to stay together even through rough times is society. When you get married you get married for life, believe me when I say that divorce is almost not an option, you will be seen as someone who is tainted if you do.........When I told my mom I would divorce my husband if he cheated on me, she said God forbid and I was really shocked, I then asked why but she had no concrete reason except for the family's image. I think it's easier for white and Caribbean families to divorce mostly because marriage vows are not held so sacred anymore, I'm not sure people read and understand the vows they say I do to when they get married, it's through the good and bad times, through sickness and health sigh..doesn't mean I wont divorce my husband if he cheated on me or did something just has bad.
    I think that's true...divorce in traditional cultures can ruin the image of the family. Also divorce is seen as a 'western' thing. But to be honest, I'm not against divorce and I never have been - I would divorce (as a last resort) if things were so bad. I couldn't give a damn about family image of reputation - my life is my own to live and I'm the one who would be married to that person, not my family. I'd hate to get divorced so I'd be very picky about who I'd want to be with, but if I had to get divorced, I would. Nothing lasts forever, that's life. Divorce can affect kids but sometimes it's better to raise kids in two happy homes than in one sad home where the marriage is only going on just for the sake of it.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    I imagine that Asian families have exactly the same sorts of problems as other ethnicities, but divorce is more frowned upon in those cultures, people are more likely to choose to remain married and unhappy than face the shame of breaking up with their partner.
    This is exactly the problem in traditional cultures unfortunately. But I'd rather get divorced than stay in an unhappy marriage, regardless of shame or reputation.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed race with divorced parents, and I would say that the culture clash just becomes too great. A lot of people assume that cultures have become more kind of meshed, but there were ingranied beliefs that were just so starkly different.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    This is exactly the problem in traditional cultures unfortunately. But I'd rather get divorced than stay in an unhappy marriage, regardless of shame or reputation.
    This doesn't necessarily imply that lots of Asian people are unhappy and locked into marriages but rather because divorce is such a taboo, Asian people are far more picky about who they marry and only when they've completed their education, stable career etc. and once they are married they are more likely to want to settle disputes amicably instead of getting divorced straight away. Some minorities are far more likely to get divorced than white people, it doesn't mean that they are happier than white people and white people are locked into loveless marriages does it? In fact, Asian people have often stated they are happier and prefer their system rather than the white/Western one.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    This doesn't necessarily imply that lots of Asian people are unhappy and locked into marriages but rather because divorce is such a taboo, Asian people are far more picky about who they marry and only when they've completed their education, stable career etc. and once they are married they are more likely to want to settle disputes amicably instead of getting divorced straight away. Some minorities are far more likely to get divorced than white people, it doesn't mean that they are happier than white people and white people are locked into loveless marriages does it? In fact, Asian people have often stated they are happier and prefer their system rather than the white/Western one.
    I know what your saying and I get your point. Asian marriages tend to have more of a higher success rate. But my point, is because of the very strong emphasis of family in traditional cultures, in can be harder to get divorced because of the risk of shame and being disowned, hence losing your whole family, so people tend to stick it out, even if it makes them unhappy. I know that white/Western marriages can be loveless and unhappy and people stay in loveless marriage, but in western society there is more freedom of choice and divorce isn't frowned upon. I am very picky about who I'd end up with but I actually (to some extent) prefer the Western system. Plus I'm not certainly not against divorce.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    I know what your saying and I get your point. Asian marriages tend to have more of a higher success rate. But my point, is because of the very strong emphasis of family in traditional cultures, in can be harder to get divorced because of the risk of shame and being disowned, hence losing your whole family, so people tend to stick it out, even if it makes them unhappy. I know that white/Western marriages can be loveless and unhappy and people stay in loveless marriage, but in western society there is more freedom of choice and divorce isn't frowned upon. I am very picky about who I'd end up with but I actually (to some extent) prefer the Western system. Plus I'm not certainly not against divorce.
    I agree with you that having divorce as an option is very good. I'm white and I've noticed many white couples who have split up/divorced and usually one of them has had an affair or they rushed into the marriage, ended up constantly bickering and wouldn't have got married in retrospect. For Asian people (including Chinese) I've noticed they're far more picky and tend to look at practical things like familial compatibility, education, finances, cultural compatability etc. rather than just 'love' which is more of an individualistic, Western approach. This is probably because marriage/divorce is such a big deal in their culture they have to be more selective and meticulous in their approach. The idea of getting married on a whim after falling in love would seem shocking to them.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    I agree with you that having divorce as an option is very good. I'm white and I've noticed many white couples who have split up/divorced and usually one of them has had an affair or they rushed into the marriage, ended up constantly bickering and wouldn't have got married in retrospect. For Asian people (including Chinese) I've noticed they're far more picky and tend to look at practical things like familial compatibility, education, finances, cultural compatability etc. rather than just 'love' which is more of an individualistic, Western approach. This is probably because marriage/divorce is such a big deal in their culture they have to be more selective and meticulous in their approach. The idea of getting married on a whim after falling in love would seem shocking to them.
    I totally agree :yep: I do think that in Western society people rush into marriage too quickly after 'love' (rather lust tbh) and get divorced too quickly. I feel as though people don't value marriage in a sacred way in Western society, and that might have something to do with how less religious people are and how modern society has become. I also feel that certain celebrity marriages shown in the media don't perpetuate that view (e.g. Kim Kardashian getting divorced after 72 days, Katy Perry's marriage, etc). However I do think it's good to have the option of divorce, as some marriages just don't work.

I could never get married on a whim. I'd marry for love (and colour and creed wouldn't matter, as long as they weren't backwards or extreme), but the person needs to have the right personality for me, and be compatible (similar traits and views). I'd also need to see how they are in terms of education and finance - I couldn't marry someone who had no ambition, non work ethic, or would rather live on benefits instead of trying to get a job. Also I'd want to have a fantastic relationship with all the right qualities before getting married - love, respect, trust, care, protection, honour, etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    its a symptom of the decline of western civilisation itself. one which starts at the very top.

modern 'liberal intellectuals' who dominate conventional wisdom in britain and the wider western world are the most vapid, permissive and nihilistic intellectual elite class that have ever existed in human history.

they offer nothing but ugliness, dependency and spiritual death.

their narrative is that of guilt, shame, self hatred, apathy, moral relativism, glibness, loneliness.......

the purpose of life according to this elite is to consume and be a good little politically correct economic unit and then die quietly.

this bleak vision has not yet permeated the minds of all of the immigrant communities yet. they still are bound by the constraints of their own cultural religiously inspired conservatism and so family bonds remain much stronger.

british society badly needs another renaissance at this point.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 19, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.