The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If you want an easy to read but pretty basic outline;

'European Union Law' - Horspool (Butterworths Core Texts).

On the other hand, the mother of all EU law texts is;

'EU Law - Text, Cases & Materials' - Craig & De Burca (Oxford)

Good luck!
Reply 2
Craig and De Burca gets my vote, although it is a beast of a book!
Reply 3
We were recommended 'Law of the European Union' by John Fairhurst.
Reply 4
John Fairhurst is a bit of a read.
Reply 5
thanx guys
Ye 'EU Law - Text, Cases & Materials' - Craig & De Burca (Oxford)

Thats where you want to be.
Reply 7
Any good commercial/corporate law textbooks please? :

????
ElWilson, I thought you weren't even at University yet? Why don't you wait and see if you get into a university first before asking. You will have plenty of time to do all the reading your tutors will want you to once you get there.
Reply 9
Because i'm interested?
Reply 10
Why don't you stick with how you do things and I'll do what I want to read.
At an applicant stage, large law textbooks are prob. unneccessary- if however, you are really interested, i find that nutshells, whilst brief, are to the point and very accessable to the general reader. I read one on Criminal Law a while ago and found it fascinating...
Thats true, if you are reading for interests sake, then the sort of books mentioned above will not be enjoyable. Without studying law, you won't have the first idea as to what is really at issue. Read introduction to law textbooks. ElWilson, honestly, enjoy the time you have now to read lighter literature. You will have more than enough to read law-wise if you end up studying it. Reading commercial law textbooks now will only make you realise how boring law as a subject can be if you know nothing about it. It may also intimidate you.
DenningAteMyHamster
Thats true, if you are reading for interests sake, then the sort of books mentioned above will not be enjoyable. Without studying law, you won't have the first idea as to what is really at issue. Read introduction to law textbooks. ElWilson, honestly, enjoy the time you have now to read lighter literature. You will have more than enough to read law-wise if you end up studying it. Reading commercial law textbooks now will only make you realise how boring law as a subject can be if you know nothing about it. It may also intimidate you.

Furthermore, if you get into Oxbridge, you are now experiancing the greatest chance to get through all those books you have down as 'must-read-sometime'. You are at a high enough level to understand and get the most out of them, whilst having the time to do so, and chances are that not only will your vacs be filled with work but after uni you will have too much debt to worry about the 'liberal arts'....

Go read The Count Of Monte Cristo. The Penguin Classics translation is very critically aclaimed, and i particually enjoyed it myself... or maybe try War and Peace, Bleak House, The Trial, the list goes on... think about it, there are so many better books to read than silly ones about contract and tort....
Reply 14
Elwilson - stick with your John Grisham. Its a hell of a lot more interesting than the Companies Act, the Insolvency Act, the Blue Book, the Yellow Book, the Financial Services and Markets Act and the other multitude of tedious company/commercial legislation out there....
God I love John Grisham...
Reply 16
Dear God, no.
How about Mills; On Liberty? It was suggested to me by a mock interviewer. Written in such a great style too... no one writes like it anymore.
Reply 18
I really like reading Mills. *nods*
ElWilson
John Fairhurst is a bit of a read.

Actually I think it's quite clear, plus the latest edition was published in 2005, so it's a lot more up to date than some of the others. I'm a big fan of the 'Unlocking Law' series and the EU one is great for the basics.

Latest

Trending

Trending