Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chest/breathing problems - is this serious?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Woke up about 3am with a horrible pain in my chest/heart, went back to sleep after pain dulled but I kept waking up every time I rolled over. It's still really bad, my breathing is really shallow, every time I try to breath more I start coughing. I've also got a painin one of my shoulder blades. Went on my paper round and had to stop several times, particually when walking up hills. I'm in bed now, but it still hurts, it feels like I've just finished running a 10k marathon. My mum thinks I've got a chest infection, but I'm not producing mucus and the coughing more stems from my breathing. Should i try to get this checked out? I don't know what's wrong with me, and I don't know how I've done it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You won't find many answers here.. Please go see a doctor! :-(
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go and see a Doctor. End of.

if your in that much pain go to A and E
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    When I read it, I thought it sounds like a chest infection. But unfortunately, I'm not in possession of medical degree, so please see a doctor.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ok, my mum is probably going to take me later on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would add i had really bad chest pains and I was told I had over inflated lungs, Its probably nothing to worry about but go and see a doctor anyway.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go to A&E. Chest pain + shortness of breath could be a number of things, but it needs reviewing, preferably somewhere which has an X-ray machine (i.e. not the GP).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone - it turned out my lung had collapsed, so thankfully I went to A&E
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    Thanks everyone - it turned out my lung had collapsed, so thankfully I went to A&E
    Glad it's sorted out. Did you need a chest drain/aspiration?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good lawd. Stay safe, OP.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Glad it's sorted out. Did you need a chest drain/aspiration?
    I think it was the aspiration, I was meant to have the drain if the procedure I had didn't work, but thankfully it did
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Good lawd. Stay safe, OP.
    I'll be fine, another check up tomorrow but the procedure I had was very successful apparently
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

Wow :eek:

I don't know much about this kind of thing so how did that happen? Did you injure yourself beforehand?
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)

I don't know much about this kind of thing so how did that happen? Did you injure yourself beforehand?
    It can happen spontaneously in young people, more usually boys but obviously not in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)

(Original post by Helenia)
    It can happen spontaneously in young people, more usually boys but obviously not in this case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumothorax
    Yeah, what Helenia said basically, people who are tall and slim are prone as well, which apparently I am. It happened when I was sleeping, so definitely no injuries
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    See a doctor, TSR can't diagnose you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, what Helenia said basically, people who are tall and slim are prone as well, which apparently I am. It happened when I was sleeping, so definitely no injuries
    Hmmmm... Over six feet?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackal The)
    Hmmmm... Over six feet?
    Nope :/ I'm 5'7
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh. You must have really been in alot of pain.

Next time dont even ask just go
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll be fine, another check up tomorrow but the procedure I had was very successful apparently
    HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHHAA

was it balls successful. Went back to the doctors the next day and my lung had collapsed again, ended up having to spend a month in hospital, had countless aspirations and a drain and a major operation, lost loads of weight and was constantly in pain and nearly died at one point. but i've been fine for a year now since my last operation

(was just reading my old threads and I felt like updating you all)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 15, 2013
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.