Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is the war between evolutionsim & creationism as followed study and law?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Committed Christians consider it the truth. There's nothing wrong with teaching it to Christian children.
    A 'Christian child' is just someone whose parents have decided that they are Christian. Until children are old enough to make their own informed decisions about religion, they should be taught the mainstream truth. Later, if they want to disregard that in favour of what Genesis teaches, they will of course be allowed to do so.

To not teach someone the theory of Evolution, simply because their parents disagree with it, is a failure of the educational system and of society as a whole.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fine as long as it's taught in Religious Studies and not in Science lessons and students arn't being preached about it being the truth and the only truth.:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Committed Christians consider it the truth. There's nothing wrong with teaching it to Christian children.
    Nothing wrong with making Christians kids ignorant as f***, that's for sure.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've changed the title cuz this is actually what I mean.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my school at least all religious BS was taught in R.E and we were taught all creationist stories from islam to bhudism, and that's where it ended, in R.E. In science we were taught science and thats it, religion isn't science.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    Even though multiple people have already said this, I'm adding my support: there is no such thing as a Christian child, any more than there is such a thing as a Keynesian child. Children cannot help being born of Christian parents and the unpleasant designation "Christian child" reflects on the parents, not the child, so it should not affect how the child is treated or taught.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    I was sent to Catholic school because it was the best performing school where I lived. I had to join in with the school 'ethos' so prayer/hymns and religious studies (where creationism was taught) was compulsory. Obviously at the age of 11/12/13 I just went along with it all without questioning it too much, but later I started to disagree, but that was cool because we weren't forced to believe what we learnt. I'm an athiest, or as Dawkins would say a 6.9 agnostic and I went to a Catholic school, ran by nuns, for 7 years.

So my view is: teach it if you must but don't force people to believe it. I had a better education there than I would have had at the local comp so I don't regret my education, plus going to a religious school has made me tolerant and accepting of religious people even though I disagree with their beliefs. Some of the nicest people who I encountered I met at that school. So yeah, I don't mind if Catholic schools teach creationism, so long as they don't present it as fact or force children to believe it (which my school didn't).
    Thank you good atheist.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camel)
    What people consider to be the truth is irrelevant compared to the actual truth, and we have no reason to believe that creationism is truth.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 16, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.