Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Warwick: law and socilogy or LLB at the university of Leicester

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yothi5)
    Since Warwick is not an LLB, you have to choose Leicester and so super-duper well, as Leicester is not a target university for barristers.
    Untrue. Leicester is increasingly well respected for law and many chambers recognise that.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Untrue. Leicester is increasingly well respected for law and many chambers recognise that.
    Too true! Saying that I'm not sure chambers actually really bother with recruitment too much, just creates even more back ache for their already swamped juniors come pupillageportal time! I think the idea that any particular uni outside Oxbridge (which seem massively favoured) doesn't seem to work, sadly for all the non-Oxbridge aspiring barristers out there.

P.S. Just seen your profile, excellent choice of course and hobby
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    My degree is politics with international relations and my entire second term for one of my modules has been focused on the global economy and political economy. We touch on banking but not the nuts and bolts of it. I have helped organise 2 financial services events this year though and was interviewed for a Spring internship with Goldman Sachs but I couldn't commit the time because of my exam timetable next term. I was urged to apply for a Summer internship next year and I still might but I my have reservations. If I was going to go down that route I would much rather be an individual trader or stock broker, that way I dictate my terms. I meet with several people that do it and it seems a far better way to make your cash, look at Warren buffett.
    Isn't it difficult to become one of these?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is but when has anything worth having been easy to achieve? My mum works for a guy who did it and still dabbles but has largely retired. He said to me things were so much easier when he was younger because you could just go down to london if you had the right connections and get going climbing the ladder but not now because it is so competitive. Nothing is stopping you trading in stock through a broker today, anyone could do it. You can do it through a bank but it generally costs more. If you want to go into that field I say go for it, either through a company or find an individual broker or group that would willing you take you on. It is hard and it is competitive but that is no reason not to try.
    I thought it was a job that graduates just have to apply for, just like investment banking?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends, it mostly is today but the guy I knew didn't go to uni and he is worth a fair bit now. If you know the right people or get in with the right people things happen.
    Thanks for the info.

Are you in your last year at uni now? And which uni do you attend?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.