The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Which Accommodation?!

Hi i am starting BCU this september and my campus is north city perry barr.
I was wondering which accommodations are a walking distance from the campus?
I have been looking at mainly en-suites such as
Oscott Gardens
Jennens Court
Unite - Curzon Gateway
Which would you recommend?!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
isnt jennens court and curzon gateway too far away from the city north campus?

im looking at Jennens Court and Curzon Gateway.. but im studying in BIAD....
i dont know how to choose either :frown:
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Oh maybe they are too far but its just i read alot about north city campus about how dangerous the area is and how its not safe at all..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I stupidly didnt look for accomodation when i went to the open days for BCU, i didnt really expct to be putting it as my first choice, I applied for childrens nursing, and got an unsucsessful from nottingham which was my first choice. With offers from sheffield hallam, and bcu, ive firmed here. Now i dont know what any of the accomodations like, shhhheeeeet! bcu for childrens nursing looks lovely though, lets hope living in halls is good too.
Reply 4
Original post by beckylewis
I stupidly didnt look for accomodation when i went to the open days for BCU, i didnt really expct to be putting it as my first choice, I applied for childrens nursing, and got an unsucsessful from nottingham which was my first choice. With offers from sheffield hallam, and bcu, ive firmed here. Now i dont know what any of the accomodations like, shhhheeeeet! bcu for childrens nursing looks lovely though, lets hope living in halls is good too.

Im going to the open day next month so i will have to look around at the accommodations! Which campus is your course on?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by KellyTang
Oh maybe they are too far but its just i read alot about north city campus about how dangerous the area is and how its not safe at all..

Oscott Gardens
The Coppice
Hamstead

are the three thats close to city north i think...

birmingham is dangerous xD
Reply 6
Im on Perry Barr campus doing business management (start in september) and I've chose the coppice as my first choice accommodation , It's apparently 2 minutes away from the campus.
Reply 7
When do you have to start applying for accommodation?
I think i will apply for oscott.
Just hoping Perry Barr isnt as bad as its made out to be!!
hi i never got a chance to see the accommodation so can some one answer my question please, which accommodation is better out of oscott and the coppice for bedroom size, living room/kitchen area and also to meet other students?
Reply 9
From the BCU website it says that Oscott is ensuite and Coppice is shared bathrooms.
Thats all i know for now but i have been reading some reviews lately and i found this very useful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200463

Did you go to any open days? What did you make of it?
Reply 10
Hey
I study at bcu and live at home
but I can you at Perry Barr the main two are Oscott Gardens and the Coppice...
Oscott has an en suite but the people in the coppice seem to get on a lot better, I think it's because they have to leave their rooms etc
Reply 11
Original post by Meg_D1
Hey
I study at bcu and live at home
but I can you at Perry Barr the main two are Oscott Gardens and the Coppice...
Oscott has an en suite but the people in the coppice seem to get on a lot better, I think it's because they have to leave their rooms etc

Hey thanks, im already thinking of Oscott only coz of the ensuite as i was a previous student before and i had ensuite but still managed to socialize with my flatmates..
Is Perry Barr close to city centre or out of?
Reply 12
Original post by KellyTang
Hey thanks, im already thinking of Oscott only coz of the ensuite as i was a previous student before and i had ensuite but still managed to socialize with my flatmates..
Is Perry Barr close to city centre or out of?

I'm currently a student at BCU, if you have any questions, just message me! But yeah, Perry Barr is like 3 miles + away from the city centre.... so yeah, it's pretty much a bummer when you want to go for a night out >.< Luckily, I'm at Millennium Point which is in the city centre xD
Reply 13
Original post by Tonyyy
I'm currently a student at BCU, if you have any questions, just message me! But yeah, Perry Barr is like 3 miles + away from the city centre.... so yeah, it's pretty much a bummer when you want to go for a night out >.< Luckily, I'm at Millennium Point which is in the city centre xD

So millennium point is pretty far from perry barr then? My mates study in London and they spend a fortune on transport just for a night out!
Reply 14
I study at Perry Barr at the moment (live in town though), but I can safely say that you should not feel unsafe about living up there. The campus accomodation is away from the 'rough areas' and has on site security. You would not need to walk through anywhere you would feel threatend to reach the uni'. Anyway, embrace it.
Reply 15
Original post by Aust1n
I study at Perry Barr at the moment (live in town though), but I can safely say that you should not feel unsafe about living up there. The campus accomodation is away from the 'rough areas' and has on site security. You would not need to walk through anywhere you would feel threatend to reach the uni'. Anyway, embrace it.

Is transport at a reasonable price travelling from town to Perry Barr? I am considering looking at accommodation in city centre and then take public transport to lectures instead now.
Reply 16
I currently study at the City North Campus and live at The Coppice

The Coppice and Oscott Gardens are both literally across the road from the uni. Both are lovely halls, but as Oscott is more expensive they get sofas in their kitchen/lounge areas, and en-suite bathrooms. Not having en-suite is no problem at all thought.. people worry about it but its nothing different from how you share a bathroom in any house - theres rarely any problems! (and two bathrooms in each flat in the Coppice anyway)

To get to town from there it costs about £7 in a taxi, or you can take a train or bus for £2 return, both take about 20 mins each way. It's not that far from the centre at all really.

And all those who say its a 'dangerous' area are telling lies, theres absolutely no problems living here, we have our own on-site security and everyone who lives here are students anyway. It's not the best idea in the world to wander into back streets at 4am on your own, but then again it's not a good idea where ever you live.

As for other accomodation, I have only visited Jennens Court, which is the best I've seen, and is right in the center of Brum. Again, slightly more expensive but it's worth it
Reply 17
Original post by manson
I currently study at the City North Campus and live at The Coppice

The Coppice and Oscott Gardens are both literally across the road from the uni. Both are lovely halls, but as Oscott is more expensive they get sofas in their kitchen/lounge areas, and en-suite bathrooms. Not having en-suite is no problem at all thought.. people worry about it but its nothing different from how you share a bathroom in any house - theres rarely any problems! (and two bathrooms in each flat in the Coppice anyway)

To get to town from there it costs about £7 in a taxi, or you can take a train or bus for £2 return, both take about 20 mins each way. It's not that far from the centre at all really.

And all those who say its a 'dangerous' area are telling lies, theres absolutely no problems living here, we have our own on-site security and everyone who lives here are students anyway. It's not the best idea in the world to wander into back streets at 4am on your own, but then again it's not a good idea where ever you live.

As for other accomodation, I have only visited Jennens Court, which is the best I've seen, and is right in the center of Brum. Again, slightly more expensive but it's worth it

Thank you! But i had read that The Coppice and Oscott has had rats infestion or something??! Which is VERY offputting!! Also is there a website i can see the room settings as on BCU website it doesnt give you photos of what the room and lounge is like.
HAHAH when you read so many bad reviews about how bad Perry Barr is, you start to doubt whether its better to live in the city instead. I been looking at iQ five which is in the centre. I just have no idea which accommodation!
Oscott because its on campus?
or somewhere in city for the 'safety' and 'security'?!
Damm.. decisions..
Reply 18
I remember reading similar things this time last year, most probably from the same out-dated places. Annoyingly, there isn't much info online about all the halls so I thought I'd make an account as I remember how confused I was last year!

There's no rats here! Yes I heard that there were some a couple of years ago in a couple of flats, but that is sorted now.

Heres an album of photos of a typical flat in The Coppice:
http://imgur.com/a/SLe6T
(in order, they are:
1. sink in bedroom
2. bathroom #1
3. kitchen
4. bedroom
5. kitchen
6. kitchen (no sofas at the coppice, just these tables)
7. bathroom #2

I can try and find photos of other halls, but the best I can get are ones taken at friends parties.. there aren't any official photos of the insides that ive seen anywhere

Totally up to you where you choose, but there is really no need to worry about security in any of the campuses. Most people who study at City North campus and live in halls live in either The Coppice or Oscott, as it means you can wake up 3 minutes before a lecture and still make it in on time, without having to worry about catching your train or bus
Reply 19
Original post by manson
I remember reading similar things this time last year, most probably from the same out-dated places. Annoyingly, there isn't much info online about all the halls so I thought I'd make an account as I remember how confused I was last year!

There's no rats here! Yes I heard that there were some a couple of years ago in a couple of flats, but that is sorted now.

Heres an album of photos of a typical flat in The Coppice:
http://imgur.com/a/SLe6T
(in order, they are:
1. sink in bedroom
2. bathroom #1
3. kitchen
4. bedroom
5. kitchen
6. kitchen (no sofas at the coppice, just these tables)
7. bathroom #2

I can try and find photos of other halls, but the best I can get are ones taken at friends parties.. there aren't any official photos of the insides that ive seen anywhere

Totally up to you where you choose, but there is really no need to worry about security in any of the campuses. Most people who study at City North campus and live in halls live in either The Coppice or Oscott, as it means you can wake up 3 minutes before a lecture and still make it in on time, without having to worry about catching your train or bus

Them photos are a great help! Are Oscott rooms/kitchens pretty much similar then?

Quick Reply

Latest