Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you download all your music? And do you feel bad about it?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Title
    Download mostly - minimal guilt
    69.55%
    Download mostly - some guilt
    13.58%
    Buy mostly
    16.87%

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    what do you mean by seed? whats that?
    The more seeds there are available the faster the download. Basically, the seeds are people who have the completed file (100% downloaded) and are transferring it from their computers to others. If you seed then you are letting other people download the file from your computer, they are known as leechers.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    I buy virtually all of mine, more out of wanting decent lossless content than any sense of obligation to the music industry. Most torrents I've come across are comprised largely of poor quality files. The only exceptions are when the artist won't make the music available elsewhere.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    download all and feel zero guilt ... oopsy im a bad person:teehee:
    i fail to see why i should pay the disgusting fees half these people charge, lets take itunes whats it nearly a pound a song? im a student not bill gates i cant afford it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's too normal to feel bad for doing it haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me when people say 'they can't afford it' or 'i wouldn't have bought it'

I bet, if there was no possible way of downloading it illegally/free and it was a song/album you liked you'd have bought it and been happy to buy it.

You just wouldn't have all 64 millionzillion gigs full on your ipod. You'd just have songs you love.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes and excellent.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I download everything, with minimum guilt. The only song I ever bought was RATM's Killing in the name of.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubberband)
    If I really like an album, I want the vinyl, so I'll have to buy it. Not like the artists get the money, though, as they're almost always second (eleventh?) hand. I'll probably get to know the music on Spotify first, so my downloading is minimal these days.

And I'm not a hipster, I just want to be like my dad :getmecoat:
    :rolleyes:

Then get a chick and get her pregnant, then you will be a dad.
    Just like your dad.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to download everything, but now I use spotify, for stuff that's not on spotify then I'll probably pay for it. Although I still have my massive ill gotten collection :ninja:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've downloaded about 99% of my stuff with very little guilt but when its a band I like although I download it first I will always buy the CD too. I don't download films though, I love physical copies of dvds so when downloads/apple/google take over the earth I will cry.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I download all my music, I don't feel bad because I go and see the bands live anyway.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No I wud feel bad if I bought it
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I download EVERYTHING. I have absolutely zero guilt. I try before I buy, I have about 90 cds now, and ive got 2 more gigs lined up already this year, and I always buy t-shirts or some kind of merchandise. Although I have 43,000 odd unpaid for downloaded tracks I have probably paid more for music than most people with 2000, so when they try and make me feel guilty I find it hilarious.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes I do download it and no I don't feel guilty...

Because I pay for it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I download - from YOUTUBE, so I don't really feel much guilt because they're being provided free of cost anyway!

While I sympathise and understand people providing media for free, I think it's also dependent on the providers to ensure that the public WANTS to purchase their product. For example, I DO download movies as well, but I ALSO go to the cinema on occasion to watch the movies I really like! I've always done so and I know many who do - because I guess the cinema/movies provide an experience that you can't really get from just downloading. I think if music was marketed better that people would be more likely to buy
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Legally, yes.
    :eek: wait? wow? seriously you have permission from the copyright owner?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    I download - from YOUTUBE, so I don't really feel much guilt because they're being provided free of cost anyway!

While I sympathise and understand people providing media for free, I think it's also dependent on the providers to ensure that the public WANTS to purchase their product. For example, I DO download movies as well, but I ALSO go to the cinema on occasion to watch the movies I really like! I've always done so and I know many who do - because I guess the cinema/movies provide an experience that you can't really get from just downloading. I think if music was marketed better that people would be more likely to buy
    That is violating your terms of agreement with youtube... thus making it illegal..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    :rolleyes:

Then get a chick and get her pregnant, then you will be a dad.
    Just like your dad.
    ...good one.

Frankly, I think that learning to produce semen and acquiring a lesbian that wants to get pregnant would be more effort than buying the odd record and swearing at cyclists.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I don't buy music, can't afford it most of the time. I don't download it either... I usually just turn on the radio and hope something good is on :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROYP)
    Will add a poll for funsies if I can.

I download all mine because I can't afford to be buying the amount of albums I download. I don't really feel any guilt at all. It'd be nice to have physical copies of everything but not nice enough to go and spend a tenner on each time or however much albums are now.

PS. I don't seed because I'm a ****

edit: added poll. isn't perfect but just go with the most suitable (also the download options refer to illegal downloading)
    Should've made the question a bit more specific, becausse legit music sources like itunes and amazon count as downloading as well but its not the downloading that you mean, right?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 21, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.