The Student Room Group

problems with independent student status

Hi all,

I need some help. I am in a really sticky situation. I am nearing the end of my first year at university, and have been having real difficulty with student finance giving me an appropriate amount.

In brief, I live on my own and have done for the past 8 years. I have supported myself throughout this, without any financial help from my parents. I should be means tested on just my income. However, I fall into a bit of a grey zone as over the last 4 to 5 years my yearly net income reached at the most 5500 a year. It sounds impossible, but I managed to support myself living in london on that little money. (lets just say during the hardest times, porridge is cheap and I managed to sublet a front room with my best mate for £20 a month!! result!!:biggrin:)

Now the problem is that in order to be acknowledged by student finance as having been self-supported for the past 3 years, I have to show evidence that I earned at least 7500 a year...which I didn't. And if I don't have that, then I have to be means tested on my parents income.:mad:

My parents are seperated, my mum supports a family on only her income, so although it appears like she earns enough, she is really struggeling financially and has no spare money to support me. My father was made redundant a year ago, is now starting up his own business (but has no income) and has recently suffered a heart attack, so asking him to support me is also impossible.

I really don't know what to do, as the loan I am receiving doesn't even cover my rent, I have not been entitled to any grant, and there doesn't seem to be any solution for me.

I started working full time in order to just make ends meet, but it affected my studies so deeply that they started threatening to kick me off the course due to bad attendance.

so...my question is (to cut a long story short!!:rolleyes:) if my only option is to be means tested on my parents income, will I end up being worse off then I am now?

if I only supply my fathers details, would him being self-employed with no income (and the fact that previously he was earning a substantial amount) affect the loan amount for the worse?

I presume they expect my parents to help, but if they refuse (which they have) how can I support myself?

and, I am turning 25 next week, does that change the need for my parents being included in my means testing?

sorry for the essay guys!! :smile:

any answers highly appreciated!!!
Reply 1
I'm no expert on this, but I qualified as self-supporting without any income, and I'm a few years younger than you. I get the full grant and loan. You'll just need to provide proof of how you were living instead.
thanks Rubberband. So does that mean I send in my statement of earnings and provide written evidence that I was sofa surfing for those years? what did you need to send them?
Reply 3
No problem, I wish I could remember more precisely what I had to provide but it was three years ago now. I would say that should be sufficient, yes; perhaps call them and check if there is anything else they would require? Who was it that gave you this supposed income threshold in the first place, someone from SF?

All I've had to send in subsequently each year is a letter from my GP declaring that my circumstances have not changed. Just how my GP is supposed to know is a mystery, but they requested it and it satisfies them, so maybe ask for something similar if you can.

Hope you get it all sorted out painlessly!
Reply 4
Once you turn 25, your parents income doesn't matter.
amazing help guys :smile: thanking you kindly!
Reply 6
The £7500 is officially a "guideline" amount, and it's not set in stone - but some assessors at SF seem to think just that.

I would give SF all the information you possibly can. Did you have letters sent to you to these places you were staying? Receipts of purchases, bills, anything that will support your case.

Next year should be easier as you will be 25.
Perhaps worth booking in a session with your MP.
Reply 8
Go to the student advisors at your university, they were a great help to me when I was proving my independent status (although mine was due to estrangement, so slightly different). Just go and see them and they will tell you what to do.

In my case, I had to gather as much evidence as possible to show that I had in fact been living independently - bills from previous addresses, letters confirming that I had received benefits in the past, any old paychecks I could find and even a letter from a family member confirming the situation.

Student Finance are ****, and it is a lot of hassle, but don't give up.
really appreciating all the advice and support :smile: Thank you guys! will crack on with these suggestions asap. It's criminal how SF make you feel as though there are no solutions :frown:

you've all given me hope! :biggrin: :cool:
Reply 10
Just to reiterate, the regulations state you must have been supporting yourself for the time, the income level quoted is used as a guideline. If you have earned less than this but were still living with this as your only source of income, then you need to provide them with some evidence of this fact and you should be eligible for full loan. I would definitely second that your uni should have some financial support staff that will be able to help you with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending