The Student Room Group

Cambridge question on UMS

Hi,

Im thinking of cambridge for medicine, and does anyone know if cambridge take into account all four subjects when looking at UMS avr, or just the three your taking to A2?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AtomicMan
Hi,

Im thinking of cambridge for medicine, and does anyone know if cambridge take into account all four subjects when looking at UMS avr, or just the three your taking to A2?

thanks

normally 3 most relevant which will probably be Bio, Chem, Maths or Physics. If you do both generally Physics over Maths.
Reply 2
Original post by AtomicMan
Hi,

thanks

Average of 3 most relevant scientific subjects; from looking at your sig it will be the average of all 4 of your subjects since they are all scientific.
Hi,

Does anyone know what sort of UMS it is necessary to get, because I am slightly worried that my maths UMS will not be a high enough for Cambridge. Also, does anyone know if Oxford look at your UMS in as great detail as Cambridge?

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by acebutterfly
Hi,

Does anyone know what sort of UMS it is necessary to get, because I am slightly worried that my maths UMS will not be a high enough for Cambridge. Also, does anyone know if Oxford look at your UMS in as great detail as Cambridge?

Thanks

Hey there, I didn't get into Cambridge and my AS Average was 96%, and Oxford do not look at your UMS at all! So as long as you have incredible GCSE's and 4A's, go for it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Nator
Hey there, I didn't get into Cambridge and my AS Average was 96%, and Oxford do not look at your UMS at all! So as long as you have incredible GCSE's and 4A's, go for it :smile:

Equally though, I got in for Natural Sciences at Cambridge despite having a C in AS Chemistry at the time of applying. UMS is of course a factor but you're considered as the sum of your parts, so if you interview well and score highly on any entrance exams it won't be too detrimental.

I remember on interview day some people got specifically asked why they think they got a B or whatever in a certain subject so they obviously do look at your UNS, but it never seemed to be an issue for me.
Reply 6
For medicine at camb, even 100% UMS isn't a guarantee as its so competitive and there are many other factors to take into account, BMAT is just as important for example. They generally interview those with 93% UMS, but to stand a chance at an offer you want 95% avg or higher in ALL your subjects.
Reply 7
Original post by Ganky
For medicine at camb, even 100% UMS isn't a guarantee as its so competitive and there are many other factors to take into account, BMAT is just as important for example. They generally interview those with 93% UMS, but to stand a chance at an offer you want 95% avg or higher in ALL your subjects.

The bit in bold is total rubbish. The rest of it isn't.
Reply 8
Original post by acebutterfly
Also, does anyone know if Oxford look at your UMS in as great detail as Cambridge?

Oxford does not see UMS. They do have very high GCSE requirements, however. See here for more info.
(edited 10 years ago)
I got an interview for med but was ultimately rejected.. they sited my UMS as a reason (I had an average of 89% in the sciences, and was in the lower half of applicants) and one of my teachers was speaking to a cambs admissions tutor and the average UMS of Med applicants is 95%, average A Levels of those who ultimately get in is 4A*, hard work but worth it.. the key word is average there's obviously going to be a bit of deviation from that but if you get above 95% in sciences you're really doing yourself a great favour (good luck :smile: )
Reply 10
I didn't apply but they know plenty of people that did, so basically know the whole process. Your average definitely needs to be higher than 90%, but you don't even have to have 90% in all your subjects! Tbh I think it depends on what college you apply to, some look at UMS a LOT, e.g Trinity, whereas some don't tend to look at it AS much. Might be worth trying to figure out which ones love UMS more.
Reply 11
I have 94.5% avr for my Jan modules, excluding physics which I shall drop, I have 98.7% avr, so guess I shall wait for june as these will definantely fall lol.
I know you are applying for different subject, but I applied for geography, with an average of 100% in AS Economics modules, 89.5% in geography and 88.6% in maths, (81% in Spanish) and got an offer for Geography. So it proves you don't need amazing UMS in all subjects, although I realise of course that medicine is much more competitive than geography - my friend calls it 'applied biology with colouring in'
Original post by Nator

I'm sorry you didn't make it in, but that UMS average is incredible! Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by nexttime
How can you make a specific claim like that and not cite your source? Did you just make it up?

Oxford does not see UMS. They do have very high GCSE requirements, however. See here for more info.

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime
How can you make a specific claim like that and not cite your source? Did you just make it up?

I applied for medicine at cambridge this year have contacted every undergraduate college, and met various admission tutors and been through the whole process!
This is from the Cambridge website:

[h="4"]The facts at a glance[/h]

Cambridge does not require a minimum number of A* grades at GCSE.

Cambridge does not require 90 per cent in every AS/A2 unit.

Cambridge does not require an average of 90 per cent in every AS/A2 subject.

Cambridge does not require an average of 90 per cent across their three best or three most relevant A Level subjects.

Cambridge is comfortable with applicants retaking a few AS/A2 units.

Reply 17
Didnt apply to Cambridge in the end, but thanks.
As a side question (and sorry for hijacking :ninja2:) for gap year applicants do they look at A2 UMS or the whole of A-level UMS, i.e. out of 300, or out of 600? Thanks :smile:
Original post by i.am.lost
Equally though, I got in for Natural Sciences at Cambridge despite having a C in AS Chemistry at the time of applying. UMS is of course a factor but you're considered as the sum of your parts, so if you interview well and score highly on any entrance exams it won't be too detrimental.

I remember on interview day some people got specifically asked why they think they got a B or whatever in a certain subject so they obviously do look at your UNS, but it never seemed to be an issue for me.

Sorry to drag this up from so long ago, but do you mind me asking what your UMS was in your other subjects and what your GCSE's were? I'm considering applying for physical Nat Sci in October, but I'm a bit paranoid about my relatively low forecasted UMS. Don't bother replying if you'd rather keep it private :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending