Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Good Looking People Live Better Lives

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to think this but when you get close to people you realise everything isnt rosey as someone above said its more about personality
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazm)
    Do you think good looking people have better lives than the people who didnt fall off the pretty tree?

More attractive to the opposite sex.
    More confidence, leading to better social skills.
    Better job prospects
    First impressions count.

Do you think there is a reason why god decided one person would be more beautiful than the other?
    No, god made everyone equally beautiful. We are all His beautiful children. But we look at one another with different beauty, but really we are all equally beautiful.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNightmare)
    No, god made everyone equally beautiful. We are all His beautiful children. But we look at one another with different beauty, but really we are all equally beautiful.
    Don't be naive. Some people are more attractive than other's and therefore live better lives due to a phenomenon called the Halo Effect.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazm)
    Do you think good looking people have better lives than the people who didnt fall off the pretty tree?

Better job prospects
    First impressions count.

Do you think there is a reason why god decided one person would be more beautiful than the other?
    Possibly.

However, people from varying levels of attractiveness can have confidence. Some people don't realise how good looking they are, and others overplay it when they're average and come across as superficial.

Generally speaking, good looking people do have some advantages but it isn't the deciding factor.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazm)

Better job prospects
    First impressions count.

Isn't it what you're calling the halo effect?
    And yes I believe they do have it slightly easier, but one must remember that because life is harder for non good looking people, we work harder to be better and never get complacent. And it's THAT which is eventually determine ones success
    Either that or some good looking person will take pity on you and hire you hahaha x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memo100)
    I think those who have always been told they were pretty from a young age don't as I have witnessed. They get attention from the opposite sex at a young age and forget all about their school work and then become stupid, naive and slow all because they didn't concentrate in school. Those that grew into their looks and became pretty over time have better job prospect because they are ones who most likely did better at school, they might have low confidence and are probably still struggling to accept that they are actually pretty, they probably were a bit late with make-up, fashion etc but now they've caught up because they can afford it
    I like what you have said here, I know exactly what you mean. Now the people who stuck at it at school have the looks & the brains. What else can you say. Can these people still be shy to this day since they werent deemed as attractive at school.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Don't be naive. Some people are more attractive than other's and therefore live better lives due to a phenomenon called the Halo Effect.
    Society has changed so much since the 'Halo Effect' was first noted in the 20s. It can only realistically apply to a very small percentage of situations nowadays imo.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure, I think there are certain advantages afforded to people who are better looking, and perhaps sometimes favouritism, but I think there must be some pitfalls. Pacticularly for good looking girls, if they get lots of unwanted attention, that sort of thing.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.