The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
not to scare anyone but the past papers before 2011 have been easy .. since jan 2011.. the papers have become much more tricky, with hidden methods & answers, however the jan 2012 paper was reasonably nice. however I am sitting this with you guys, so im in the same boat. Edexcel, hopefully have made this paper a reasonable paper, with no tricky questions with probability and normal distribution -___-
Reply 41
Original post by stuck18
not to scare anyone but the past papers before 2011 have been easy .. since jan 2011.. the papers have become much more tricky, with hidden methods & answers, however the jan 2012 paper was reasonably nice. however I am sitting this with you guys, so im in the same boat. Edexcel, hopefully have made this paper a reasonable paper, with no tricky questions with probability and normal distribution -___-

Can you give an example of hidden methods?
Reply 42
ok hidden methods was abit over exagerated . I mean like you got to read the question properly and over and over again to figure out what to do.. and making mistakes like typing the wrong long number in during calculation like for regression line or correlation .. you can loose marks as you follow on the incorrect calculation, cos without you realising, you have made a typo on the calc..

i'm really worried for this exam, also sitting s2 6 days later . ahh ! .. I find s2 MUCH easier than s1.. then again dont want to jinx it .
Reply 43
Original post by stuck18

You are saying this from 2 out of 3 papers? That is a bit of a small sample size...

Why do lots of people hate normal distributions?
Reply 44
Original post by stuck18

Don't worry. You're not gonna scare anybody; we'll be ready for that exam on the 18th of May and all that it brings!
Reply 45
Original post by Zhy
You are saying this from 2 out of 3 papers? That is a bit of a small sample size...

Why do lots of people hate normal distributions?

I dont hate normal distribution, its one of the nicest topics.. but when it comes to like part c and d of the question .. there is always some sort of reading between the lines to do.
Reply 46
Original post by stuck18
ok hidden methods was abit over exagerated . I mean like you got to read the question properly and over and over again to figure out what to do.. and making mistakes like typing the wrong long number in during calculation like for regression line or correlation .. you can loose marks as you follow on the incorrect calculation, cos without you realising, you have made a typo on the calc..

i'm really worried for this exam, also sitting s2 6 days later . ahh ! .. I find s2 MUCH easier than s1.. then again dont want to jinx it .

Well each question in S1 relates to one topic in the textbook (with occasionally two questions for one topic), so as long as you can recognise which topic it relates to there's only a certain number of ways to manipulate data.

With regards to calculator use when dealing with regression and correlation questions, you can pick up calculators that will work out sum of x values etc. when you enter a data series. Perhaps you could pick one of these up so you can confirm your working as you go along.
Reply 47
Original post by J10
Don't worry. You're not gonna scare anybody; we'll be ready for that exam on the 18th of May and all that it brings!

well then, good for you.
Reply 48
Original post by dslc
Well each question in S1 relates to one topic in the textbook (with occasionally two questions for one topic), so as long as you can recognise which topic it relates to there's only a certain number of ways to manipulate data.

With regards to calculator use when dealing with regression and correlation questions, you can pick up calculators that will work out sum of x values etc. when you enter a data series. Perhaps you could pick one of these up so you can confirm your working as you go along.

yes i think i am going to do that, since im making typos alot. thankyou
Reply 49
Original post by stuck18
yes i think i am going to do that, since im making typos alot. thankyou

You're welcome. I highly recommend the Casio FX-991ES.
Reply 50
Original post by dslc
You're welcome. I highly recommend the Casio FX-991ES.

doesn't that one have the auto-intergration in it? I may be wrong, not to sure. if so then our school checks and makes sure we dont have those calculators :frown:
Reply 51
Original post by stuck18
doesn't that one have the auto-intergration in it? I may be wrong, not to sure. if so then our school checks and makes sure we dont have those calculators :frown:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=390910
Reply 52

one posts says "
"Calculators with a facility for symbolic algebra, differentiation, and/or integration are not permitted". "

I guess that answers my question. Thankyou for your help, and if you are sitting the exam, good luck
A few questions

Is the standard deviation affected by adding a value to the data set, is the mean affected and if so, why?

Which is more representative of a set of data: the median or mean and why?
Reply 54
Subbed
Reply 55
revision for this exam is going okish. getting 45-65 in past papers. Whats everyone else getting?
Reply 56
Original post by matthurry
revision for this exam is going okish. getting 45-65 in past papers. Whats everyone else getting?

100 UMS
Reply 57
Original post by bloomingblossoms
A few questions

Is the standard deviation affected by adding a value to the data set, is the mean affected and if so, why?

Which is more representative of a set of data: the median or mean and why?

median, it's less affected by extreme values
.. i think
Reply 58
Original post by Zhy
100 UMS

are you actually? ****.
Reply 59
Original post by matthurry
are you actually? ****.

I have only done 4 papers but yes... I have lost a few raw marks though, but because the boundaries are so low they are still 100 UMS. :P

This paper becomes very easy after doing S2-4. I still don't understand why the boundaries for some of these papers are so shockingly low.

Latest

Trending

Trending