The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zhy
I have only done 4 papers but yes... I have lost a few raw marks though, but because the boundaries are so low they are still 100 UMS. :P

This paper becomes very easy after doing S2-4. I still don't understand why the boundaries for some of these papers are so shockingly low.

You've done S2-4 before S1? Elaborate?...
Reply 61
Original post by J10
You've done S2-4 before S1? Elaborate?...

Did some maths modules in Year 11, have done FP1 and S2 in Year 12. Finishing off all 18 modules this year, so have studied S3 and S4 and some parts of the old S5 and S6 syllabuses as preparation for STEP questions (e.g. moment generating functions).
Reply 62
You're doing all that along with the STEP... this year?
Reply 63
Original post by J10
You're doing all that along with the STEP... this year?

My teachers said it was too risky me doing STEP as well so they told me to do it in Year 13. To make up for it I'm doing the AEA, which is nowhere near as hard as STEP but still looks good.
Reply 64
Original post by Zhy
My teachers said it was too risky me doing STEP as well so they told me to do it in Year 13. To make up for it I'm doing the AEA, which is nowhere near as hard as STEP but still looks good.

I'm guessing you're gonna apply to do Maths at uni? Isn't doing all 18 this year too much pressure on you doing well on the other lessons you have?
Reply 65
Original post by J10
I'm guessing you're gonna apply to do Maths at uni? Isn't doing all 18 this year too much pressure on you doing well on the other lessons you have?

I want to do maths at uni yes... personally I think it isn't that hard. My only other lessons are physics and chemistry so there isn't much to do because there is so much overlap. I get through it all by alternating between sex and maths... sometimes combining both. I try to channel my horniness into actual work!
Reply 66
Original post by Zhy

hi zhy do u think this paper will be harder or easier than jan 2012?
Reply 67
Original post by otrivine
hi zhy do u think this paper will be harder or easier than jan 2012?

Don't know, about the same I guess? I'm assuming they design the papers so that 60/75 is about an A, and 60/75 was the boundary for the A-grade this Jan. This is just an uneducated guess...
Reply 68
yh thats fine thanks how do you work out a and b and c. Im sure they all add upto 1. and what is general formula for variance?
Reply 69
just some quick questions :

1. I am on the verge of finishing off s1 (on 9C) but i can seem to remember much of content of the other chapters. I was thinking of doing the review exercise. Will the review exercise cover all the contents of the book?

2. How do you know which of the two normal distribution tables you have to "read" for any certain question relatingg to normal distribution?
Reply 70
Original post by Zhy

Hey, yeah i'm going to be doing STEP in year 13 as well, has your school already started preparing you for it?! i'm self teaching myself some further maths modules so during the summer i can start actually practicing and learning for it...what stuff are you doing to learn for it? thanks :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Mr Tough
Hey, yeah i'm going to be doing STEP in year 13 as well, has your school already started preparing you for it?! i'm self teaching myself some further maths modules so during the summer i can start actually practicing and learning for it...what stuff are you doing to learn for it? thanks :smile:

My school doesn't prepare people for STEP unfortunately (which is probably the case for a lot of entrants). I'll have a lot of knowledge to tackle STEP because I'm doing all 18 modules this Summer so hopefully I can get started right away!
Reply 72
Original post by Zhy
My school doesn't prepare people for STEP unfortunately (which is probably the case for a lot of entrants). I'll have a lot of knowledge to tackle STEP because I'm doing all 18 modules this Summer so hopefully I can get started right away!

are you in year 12 right? my school does do some preparation, but not a lot, people in the last few years have got 1,3 s and one person got a 1,2 (STEP II, III) which has made me slightly worried considering some of these people were really good at maths!
what i mean is, other than past papers, how else are you going to learn/practice for it?
Reply 73
are you in year 12 right? my school does do some preparation, but not a lot, people in the last few years have got 1,3 s and one person got a 1,2 (STEP II, III) which has made me slightly worried considering some of these people were really good at maths!
what i mean is, other than past papers, how else are you going to learn/practice for it?

Siklos booklets, past papers, summer schools, etc.
Reply 74
hi is anyone revising from the S1 edexcel revision book is it me or are the mixed exercise 5 on probability badly worded?
Original post by otrivine
hi is anyone revising from the S1 edexcel revision book is it me or are the mixed exercise 5 on probability badly worded?

yeah, i gave up with the mixed exercises for most chapters. i do the exercises then move straight on to past papers. its a good method.
Reply 76
S1 is suppose to be very easy but i don't seem to get normal distribution :frown:
Reply 77
S1 does my nut in with all these "comment on" questions...

Im just gonna do past papers **** the book (hopefully 05-12 Jan papers this week then 05-11 Jun papers next week)
Reply 78
Hate the wordy type questions! :L

Can anyone explain "coding" to me properly? ie say we use the coding X=(p-120)/2, what is the effect on Sxx

I understand that the PMCC stays the same, but how does the Sxx/Syy/Sxy things change and how do you determine the answer?

Reply 79
Hate the wordy type questions! :L

Can anyone explain "coding" to me properly? ie say we use the coding X=(p-120)/2, what is the effect on Sxx

I understand that the PMCC stays the same, but how does the Sxx/Syy/Sxy things change and how do you determine the answer?

in correlation nothing is effected by it at all (including sxx/sxy/syy) and in regression when you have found out the values of a and b in the y=a+bx equation, replace what x equals with the coding for it and the same for y.
hope that makes sense
and I also hate the wordy type questions !!

Latest

Trending

Trending