The Student Room Group

2012, end of the world?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Moleman1996
we're not "non-believers" we have a belief. And that is that God is a load of crap.

Aha. A positive statement. Have you got evidence for that, please?

Original post by oli_G
Wait, what? Because you chose to be Christian, that means you were basing the decision on evidence?

The other poster was insinuating that I'd swallowed what had been forced down my throat. I was just saying that I had done my own research and had come to my own conclusions.

Original post by oli_G
Also, you're hardly a good Christian if you made that decision on (what you thought was) evidence anyway, as faith - ie trusting in something without evidence - is one of the founding principles of religion

I don't care about 'religion'.

There is empirical evidence for God, but it is not all demonstrable to other people. Personal revelation and experiencing his Spirit is a big part of it. Faith is important, but so is the evidence.
Reply 41
Original post by Camel
The other poster was insinuating that I'd swallowed what had been forced down my throat. I was just saying that I had done my own research and had come to my own conclusions.

Research? Ha, and you say you're a Christian!

Again, good 'Christian' statement.

There is empirical evidence for God, but it is not all demonstrable to other people.

Well then it's not evidence in any shape or form, as evidence has to be clearly demonstrable.

Personal revelation and experiencing his Spirit is a big part of it. Faith is important, but so is the evidence.

There is nothing in religion that places evidence as important, so I believe(:wink:) you are misreading scripture.

Also your experience is most likely a misfiring in the temporal lobe, as shown by recent experiments by Mario Beauregard. Ironically, this process probably came into being as a result of evolution by natural selection, a theory so despised by fundamentalists, where shared supernatural experiences improved cohesion in hunter-gatherer groups.

Now give me your evidence.
Original post by Camel
The Mayans couldn't possibly know anyway.

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.

Mark 13:32

The Mayans knew about lots of other stuff they couldn't have known.
Reply 43
Original post by oli_G
Well then it's not evidence in any shape or form, as evidence has to be clearly demonstrable.

It is demonstrable to oneself, which is the important thing. My salvation is my concern.

Original post by oli_G
There is nothing in religion that places evidence as important, so I believe(:wink:) you are misreading scripture.

I'll give you a chance to retract this statement as you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Also, you said religion again. I do not follow a religion.

Original post by oli_G
Also your experience is most likely a misfiring in the temporal lobe, as shown by recent experiments by Mario Beauregard. Ironically, this process probably came into being as a result of evolution by natural selection, a theory so despised by fundamentalists, where shared supernatural experiences improved cohesion in hunter-gatherer groups.

Prove it.
Original post by oli_G
Wait, what? Because you chose to be Christian, that means you were basing the decision on evidence?

Also, you're hardly a good Christian if you made that decision on (what you thought was) evidence anyway, as faith - ie trusting in something without evidence - is one of the founding principles of religion.

I don't feel uncomfortable, just slightly embarrassed that another member of the human race has given in to the biggest con known to man.

If it is such a con how come the majority of people ever were religous
Original post by Camel
Aha. A positive statement. Have you got evidence for that, please?

There is empirical evidence for God, but it is not all demonstrable to other people. Personal revelation and experiencing his Spirit is a big part of it. Faith is important, but so is the evidence.

My evidence is that a perfect being such as God could only create a perfect world. The world is far from perfect. God breathed life into us, we have a part of God within us. If God was perfect, then this piece of God would prevent us from doing bad. If God exists, and is not perfect, omniscienct, omnipotent etc. then he is not a God, but an advanced being. We have more scientific evidence for the big bang than the creation story, and whilst I can't explain what the "first cause" was, I don't see the need to fill in a wild and wacky story to explain it, i'd rather devote the time needed to generate such a story into finding out what the cause actually was, or turning such an imagination to fiction writing.
Reply 46
Original post by Camel
It is demonstrable to oneself, which is the important thing. My salvation is my concern.

No, again that is faith - which is something that is not demonstrable, as it is by definition something that is without evidence.

I'll give you a chance to retract this statement as you clearly don't know what you are talking about. Also, you said religion again. I do not follow a religion.

Wait, you say you're a Christian and then that you don't follow a religion. Please say you are trolling. I'll retract that statement when you prove me wrong, which I think has a lower probability of occurring than the apocalypse!

Prove it.

This guy did. He stimulated certain brain areas in a double blind experiment, and the majority of participants experience a supernatural occurrence, with some even 'seeing' the virgin mary and other religious figures.
Original post by oli_G

I like the way how you didn't answer the question about what evidence there is for no God. There must be too much to be written down or there could be no evidence.
Reply 48
Original post by oli_G

Please! Cummon! their avatar says 'Jesus loves you...'
Do you really think this is the kind of person you should be wasting your rational brain arguing with :no:
Reply 49
Original post by scottstacey

Oh sorry, forgot that the majority are always correct. (:teehee:)

Obviously, in the 15th Century - before Copernicus proposed the heliocentric model - the world really was at the centre of the universe, as that was the opinion held by the vast majority :wink:
Reply 50
Original post by Moleman1996

With regards to the end of the world 2012, even if it does happen:

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure."

dumbledore :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by JuKaMy
Please! Cummon! their avatar says 'Jesus loves you...'
Do you really think this is the kind of person you should be wasting your rational brain arguing with :no:

You're probably right.
Reply 52
I like the way how you didn't answer the question about what evidence there is for no God. There must be too much to be written down or there could be no evidence.

It's the former. I don't have all day.
why would it end this year?
Reply 54
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
why would it end this year?

Because kitty got gun :frown:
Reply 55

Do you believe in norse gods i.e. Thor etc?

I would hazard a guess to say you do not.

Thus, you believe those were 'cons' in the sense of the word. Stories made to be true by the need for a human to find a rational reason he is alive and how he came to be. Why are more modern religious any different?. Now we have science which can prove some things the human race only used to see as mysteries and even magic so thankfully religious belief is on the decline. If a religion such as Christianity were to 'start now they would be laughed at and dismissed by every fairly educated person in the world.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by g.k.galloway
dumbledore :biggrin:

:biggrin: Albus Dumbledore could not fail to be correct :wink:
Original post by Camel

not a very religious thing to say...

God is all loving, surely you should try and emulate that by making the salvation of others your concern?
i dunno but am sure it WILL happen one day xD
Original post by Camel
You'll not be laughing when you're stuck here waiting for the trib.

Matthew 7:21-23

'the bible ****in sucks' - John 14-20

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending