Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best luxury Easter Egg?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't treated myself to an Easter Egg for a couple of years now. As I've been deprived of this yummy chocolatey treat, I've decided to go the whole hog and buy a luxury one this year.

I was in John Lewis earlier and they had an amzing selection of yummy and expensive eggs, just wanted to see other people's opinions before I buy.

The one I had in my hand was an extra thick 'You Crack me Up' egg by Hotel Chocolat. Looked amazing, but it had a £26.00 price tag...

There was also these James' Chocolate Cupcake eggs which looked pretty good for a tenner too, but I've never tried James' chocolate before.

Then there's Godiva, Coco Bean Company, Charbonnel et Walker...

Any suggestions from fellow choccie lovers much appreciated!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hotel chocolat always delivers on quality :3
    The little filled egg selections are meant to be divine

The James cupcake eggs look nice, but I read quite a few foodie reviews last year which said they were a real let down.

Montezuma are a good buy if you like purist, dark chocolate, but they tend to lack novelty easter factors- like additional flavours/individual chocolates, and focus on the egg alone.

Charbonnel et walker have prestige, but again, they are known for their champagne truffles more than anything else, and the egg itself is likely to be ordinary.

I'd go for Hotel Chocolat
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    No need for the discussion, you got it right in your first post- Hotel Chocolat own this game.

I got bought one of their £26 eggs about 4 years ago back (*puts on hipster glasses*) before they were popular, I've bought myself one every year since. Godly stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wonder if lindt makes non-hollow easter eggs with the soft bit inside :sogood:
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    No need for the discussion, you got it right in your first post- Hotel Chocolat own this game.
    Sweet jesus....:coma: :sexface:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Maltesers.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

I got bought one of their £26 eggs about 4 years ago back (*puts on hipster glasses*) before they were popular, I've bought myself one every year since. Godly stuff.
    That is the sexiest thing I've ever seen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any lindt egg!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could wait until after Easter. Last year, I got four [one for each of us at home] of the £26 Hotel Chocolat eggs for the price of one in the post-Easter sale.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've inspired me, OP. I don't think I've had an easter egg since I was about 8, but I'm going to get myself one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I walk through John Lewis chocolate section every day and keep a close eye on it (and regularly spend the last of my money there) so I am well aquainted with the choices you are talking about

Last year I gave up chocolate for Lent and by the time Easter came I had stocked up 13 eggs in my wardrobe. Oh the shame. I would recommend Hotel Chocolat, their eggs are amazing. "You crack me up" is the one I'm going to buy myself this year And I'll hint to my mum that I would appreciate the eton mess egg sandwich. Yum yum. Every year I get the same..."are you not too old for an easter egg now?" NO MUM. I don't care if I'm 23, I still need an egg.
    James chocolates look pretty but are a bit hit-and miss - not really worth the money usually. Their white choc is good though.
    Charbonnel et Walker is good for champagne truffles but apart fom that, nothing noteworthy.
    Cocoa Bean Co. is pretty good.
    Godiva is nothing special, wouldn't bother going there if I was you.

Also in John Lewis you can get Rococco and Cococo - both of these are fantastic companies. They are pretty pricy but I think it's worth it. Personally I'm waiting til the day after Easter when everything will be half price
    Enjoy!!
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Came in this thread to post exactly the same thing :adore:

Hotel Chocolat is amazing :coma: Worth every penny.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely agree with Hotel Chocolat! Worth every penny
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Who needs luxury easter eggs when there's Cadbury's ?? :mmm:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tesco have some pretty awesome new Easter Eggs...

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ...x?id=L00004726
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Hotel Chocolat are incredible. I know where I'll be headed this Easter.

The cheaper crap (nestle etc) is just not real chocolate, it tastes cheap and plasticky. :mad:
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Oh my god, I need that right now. The most dangerous photo you could have posted.

I'd also add Marks & Spencer - their chocolate is amazing, particularly their speckled eggs. At £1.05, I'd be happy with 25 bags of Speckled Eggs.
    • 46 followers

Gofre is right, Hotel Chocolat totally own this game.

However, I saw the most AMAZING Easter Egg in the Choccywoccydoohdah shop in Brighton a couple of years back. It was humongous and decorated really intricately - a thing of pure beauty. I haven't got a picture of it but here's a similar (not quite so beautiful) egg they made to give you an idea of the size. Unfortunately it had a suitably ginormous price tag to go with it... it was £750! :eek3:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

Is that chocolates embedded IN THE EGG? :sogood:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Missed out on the 1p Thornton's easter egg promotion I presume? If so then unlucky, OP...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 25, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.