Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Needing a hobby!

Announcements Posted on
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla*Pod)
    haha thanks- it has been a long week!

Bit intimidated by megapixels, ISO range, sensor sizes etc- all things I've heard of but know nothing of! I'm happy to do some research on it but don't know anyone in photography who can give me a nudge in the right direction.

Trial and error it will be!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Come and ask away, a lot of us there know what we're talking about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_certain_nobody)
    Ah that's awesome! I've recently got into making websites- with a bit of help from a friend who knows about it, but mostly from teaching myself over the internet, there's loads of information readily available there. I decided to try and learn how to code from scratch myself, just typing it into Notepad, instead of getting a program like Dreamweaver which is meant to be quicker to learn, but less professional. The only cost so far has been about a tenner for a domain name. I'm not a natural when it comes to technology by the way, but I find it really fun to do!
    Maybe you could make a photography website, with a fashion photography section? that would be really cool! you could make it into a project kind of thing...I love this kind of stuff!
    That sounds fab- well done you! I tell you Google is the brain I was never born with- I may sound old but I love the fact you can learn so much at the touch of a button!

I love projects too! There is one person in my local area, only slightly older than me, who used to do photography for a living; portraits, events etc... don't think he lives around here anymore. He got so much business- with the internet boom everyone wants a special profile picture!

I would love to do something like that one day! Being engaged even wedding photography appeals! Wow the options are endless
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=336

Come and ask away, a lot of us there know what we're talking about.

Thank you so much!! This will be ideal Too kind!
    I don't want to sound silly when I ask anything as I truly am a beginner!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!! This will be ideal Too kind!
    I don't want to sound silly when I ask anything as I truly am a beginner!
    Well, I wrote this and this a while ago, so if you have a read it should help you get the basics and you can ask about anything that's unclear.

But everyone was once a beginner, we all know that. :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Well, I wrote this and this a while ago, so if you have a read it should help you get the basics and you can ask about anything that's unclear.

But everyone was once a beginner, we all know that. :dontknow:
    Those two links are just what I need- thankyou!! Your amaze

True!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those two links are just what I need- thankyou!! Your amaze

True!!
    Well, I always like to get another person hooked.

You're welcome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

Finishing uni in 2 weeks time and have come to the realisation there is nothing in my life bar studying/working/ volunteering! It's a busy life yes but I have no actual hobbies.
    My fiance is a typical bloke- he has a keen interest in maintaining his cars, playing xbox, rebuilding cars, remote control petrol cars, paintballing, offroading...you get the picture!!

I run a baking website (http://thesugarstrand.blogspot.com) and I do the occasional sewing/ bag making but I'm nothing special at it!

I really want a hobby to get stuck into, but have no idea what to give a go!

Any [serious] suggestions? Do women normally have less stereotypical hobbies than men? What hobbies do you have?

Thanks in advance!
    Just a few suggestions;

- Go to the Gym or Keep fit classes ie. Zumba, Boxerise, Water aerobics
    - Take up a Sport or Martial Art
    - Learn to play an instrument
    - Learn a new Language or Sign Language
    - Write things ie. Short stories, Poems or Keep a Blog?
    - Learn First Aid
    - Cook or Bake things
    - Make things ie. Crafts, Handmade Cards, Cakes .. to sell?
    - Help out your elderly neighbour/family member
    - Collect things
    - Take up Gardening

Hope it gives you some inspiration
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joanna-Marie :))
    Just a few suggestions;

- Go to the Gym or Keep fit classes ie. Zumba, Boxerise, Water aerobics
    - Take up a Sport or Martial Art
    - Learn to play an instrument
    - Learn a new Language or Sign Language
    - Write things ie. Short stories, Poems or Keep a Blog?
    - Learn First Aid
    - Cook or Bake things
    - Make things ie. Crafts, Handmade Cards, Cakes .. to sell?
    - Help out your elderly neighbour/family member
    - Collect things
    - Take up Gardening

Hope it gives you some inspiration
    Thankyou! I do have some fitness classes lined up locally for when I finish uni and can dedicate more time! I would love to learn a language and I bake a lot and keep my blog going!- http://thesugarstrand.blogspot.com

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Learning a new language is great. You can do so very cheaply/for free online, and there's always the motivation of booking a holiday far in advance to practice your language skills. Learning an instrument is also great. I'm pretty much the same, I used to take dance classes and all sorts but it's always a pain trying to fit it in to your schedule.
    If you have an evening to spare I recommend Scouting. As a Leader this year I've been on hikes, camps, activity days, been to the fire station, had the chance to be in a variety show, been to a planetarium, done some stargazing, learnt far too many knots and at the moment we're learning to communicate by flag semaphore and working on an allotment. You can even get outdoor pursuit qualifications. I definitely recommend it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How about s****** on the floor?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

Finishing uni in 2 weeks time and have come to the realisation there is nothing in my life bar studying/working/ volunteering! It's a busy life yes but I have no actual hobbies.
    My fiance is a typical bloke- he has a keen interest in maintaining his cars, playing xbox, rebuilding cars, remote control petrol cars, paintballing, offroading...you get the picture!!

I run a baking website (http://thesugarstrand.blogspot.com) and I do the occasional sewing/ bag making but I'm nothing special at it!

Any [serious] suggestions? Do women normally have less stereotypical hobbies than men? What hobbies do you have?

Thanks in advance!
    Dude you blog and make bags, more than most girls do. Most girls' hobbies are shopping, clubbing and gossiping. Certainly men have more varied hobbies in the general case.

Sounds like the stuff you do like volunteering has a clear aim, to improve your career prospects. Hobbies you do more for fun fall into two categories: competitive and creative. You sound like a creative type.

Becoming part of a group who does your hobby is a lot better, apart from the social and motivational benefits, often you will get more recognition if you wrote for an established blog than having your own single-person blog that never gets any hits (don't know how successful yours is but just an example).

Btw I love that fruit basket cake!! Maybe you could even think about going into business making bespoke novelty cakes, see TV's Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, Choccywoccydoodah. Except maybe not quite that bat**** crazy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

Thanks in advance!
    skydiving is my new hobby.!!!! It is the best thing ever!!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LissRules!!)
    Horse riding is really fun!! I love it.

Also Shooping Can never do too much shooping.
    Expensive to get into- though, no?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Keeping an unusual pet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Dude you blog and make bags, more than most girls do. Most girls' hobbies are shopping, clubbing and gossiping. Certainly men have more varied hobbies in the general case.

Sounds like the stuff you do like volunteering has a clear aim, to improve your career prospects. Hobbies you do more for fun fall into two categories: competitive and creative. You sound like a creative type.

Becoming part of a group who does your hobby is a lot better, apart from the social and motivational benefits, often you will get more recognition if you wrote for an established blog than having your own single-person blog that never gets any hits (don't know how successful yours is but just an example).

Btw I love that fruit basket cake!! Maybe you could even think about going into business making bespoke novelty cakes, see TV's Ace of Cakes, Cake Boss, Choccywoccydoodah. Except maybe not quite that bat**** crazy.

Now you put it like that, your right- I hadn't thought of it that way! In my mind I don't do anything with my spare time, but I guess I do!

You have some really good ideas there thanks- Especially joining up with people who have a shared interest! On my current blog I average about 50 visits per new post, but the Xbox/ Fruit Basket cake gave me 130 visits within a few hours!

Thanks for the feedback I do love cakemaking but I dont think I'm anything special at it, I will leave it for the professionals

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 19, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.