Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will the legislation of homosexuality be a cause for concern in the future?

Announcements Posted on
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScheduleII)
    The Bible is not a book of fairy tales, it is God's Word, so I do not care what you think of me. When you have a more correct view of Scripture and theology I will respect your opinion on how I look. Capiche?
    Of course it is a book of fairy tales. God is a fictional character no more real than Voldemort or Hamlet.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no-meme-rage-face.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	138824
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoziHQ)
    The Buggery Act 1553 firstly outlawed homosexuality, making it punishable by hanging. It was only in 1861 where the death penalty was removed, and in 1967 where homosexuality was decriminalised. Homosexual couples now have the right to sexual relations, and even marriage. It's taken more than 450 years for such to take place, but such legislation is a cause for concern.

Some say that incest is love, but as adduced through our law, this is simply disgusting and a criminal offence. Some people think that polygamous marriage is acceptable as well, but again as adduced through the law, it's not ( it's illegal, unless you're married outside of the UK where it is legal).
    The strong dislike of incest within the TSR community, and the examples mentioned above just prove that christian ethics still have a sound influence on not only our society, but more importantly our constitution.

However, this influence is lessening year by year by year. The UK is deciding for itself what is moral and what is immoral. If the latter wasn't true, homosexuality would be illegal along with incest as well.And as culture is subject to change, and morality now is becoming more based on the opinions of culture, what society may find disgusting now may be perfectly fine in 450 years.

Let's fast forward 450 years. What will the UK constitution allow? Will incest be legal? Will polygamous marriage be legal? Will zoophilia be legal?
    We know through economics that the world doesn't have enough resources to sustain our booming population for another 450 years. However, let's just say that it will.

That doesn't make sense - you can't 'legislate' homosexuality, do you mean the legalisation of homosexuality?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    That doesn't make sense - you can't 'legislate' homosexuality, do you mean the legalisation of homosexuality?
    OP doesn't even know what words to use.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Buggery Act 1553 firstly outlawed homosexuality, making it punishable by hanging. It was only in 1861 where the death penalty was removed, and in 1967 where homosexuality was decriminalised. Homosexual couples now have the right to sexual relations, and even marriage. It's taken more than 450 years for such to take place, but such legislation is a cause for concern.

Some say that incest is love, but as adduced through our law, this is simply disgusting and a criminal offence. Some people think that polygamous marriage is acceptable as well, but again as adduced through the law, it's not ( it's illegal, unless you're married outside of the UK where it is legal).
    The strong dislike of incest within the TSR community, and the examples mentioned above just prove that christian ethics still have a sound influence on not only our society, but more importantly our constitution.

However, this influence is lessening year by year by year. The UK is deciding for itself what is moral and what is immoral. If the latter wasn't true, homosexuality would be illegal along with incest as well.And as culture is subject to change, and morality now is becoming more based on the opinions of culture, what society may find disgusting now may be perfectly fine in 450 years.

Let's fast forward 450 years. What will the UK constitution allow? Will incest be legal? Will polygamous marriage be legal? Will zoophilia be legal?
    We know through economics that the world doesn't have enough resources to sustain our booming population for another 450 years. However, let's just say that it will.

What on earth are you talking about? You're comparing homosexuality to paedophilia and zoophilia? The latter 2 where one party can't consent and so harm is caused?

Homosexuality isn't a problem to our society, as you seem to be insinuating. People like you, spreading hate and intolerance are the problem.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Bible is not a book of fairy tales, it is God's Word, so I do not care what you think of me. When you have a more correct view of Scripture and theology I will respect your opinion on how I look. Capiche?
    Funny given you have completely ignored my points.

So i'll ask again.

Old testament - Mentions homosexuality and the rules against
    New testament - Doesnt mention rules against homosexuality
    Yet you ignore many other rules laid out in the old testament, but choose to still follow the beliefs on homosexuality.

Care to share the logic in this?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Of course it is a book of fairy tales. God is a fictional character no more real than Voldemort or Hamlet.
    No, it is not fairy tales and God is real. If God is not real I wouldn't care about every law on the planet being broken and every country slipping into murderous mayhem, let alone gay marriage, because life has NO meaning in a godless universe. I would possibly even commit suicide myself.

Fortunately, as a Christian I know the universe is NOT godless, God is going to put an end to all murder, pain, tears &c. one day. Absolutely no amount of scoff-and-laugh atheologians with their false worldviews will convince me. Dawkins is wrong. All those saved by Jesus WILL live happily ever after, just like a fairytale ending except it will be real and not a fictional tale.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You know what say about those who are most outspoken against homosexuals... give it 10 years, you'll definitely be taking it up the arse by then
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it is not fairy tales and God is real. If God is not real I wouldn't care about every law on the planet being broken and every country slipping into murderous mayhem, let alone gay marriage, because life has NO meaning in a godless universe. I would possibly even commit suicide myself.

Fortunately, as a Christian I know the universe is NOT godless, God is going to put an end to all murder, pain, tears &c. one day. Absolutely no amount of scoff-and-laugh atheologians with their false worldviews will convince me. Dawkins is wrong. All those saved by Jesus WILL live happily ever after, just like a fairytale ending except it will be real and not a fictional tale.
    I assume you have proof god is real
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I assume you have proof god is real
    we see what we want to see. I am a Muslim myself, so yes, I believe in God.
    I think you can't prove or disprove anything because of the way human beings interpret things. You can look at the same thing and still come to different conclusions.

I am not going to lie, homosexuality makes me uneasy, but then bestiality sounds worse. Just yuk!'!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

However, this influence is lessening year by year by year. The UK is deciding for itself what is moral and what is immoral. If the latter wasn't true, homosexuality would be illegal along with incest as well.And as culture is subject to change, and morality now is becoming more based on the opinions of culture
    Religion is one aspect of culture. Human conceptions of morality have always been based on culture.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gyrate)
    Religion is one aspect of culture. Human conceptions of morality have always been based on culture.
    There is an eternal moral code though. For example, I believe in New Testament Bible sexual ethics DESPITE the culture I live in not respecting them. I believe this is because my faith has removed all obstructions to my perceiving of the God-authored conscience in my heart.

And no tommy, as the Muslim says, God is not a "proof" issue. It's a FAITH issue. As a Christian I have faith that God is a reality.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    There is an eternal moral code though. For example, I believe in New Testament Bible sexual ethics DESPITE the culture I live in not respecting them. I believe this is because my faith has removed all obstructions to my perceiving of the God-authored conscience in my heart.And no tommy, as the Muslim says, God is not a "proof" issue. It's a FAITH issue. As a Christian I have faith that God is a reality.
    Have you ever thought about why you have this faith? Is it a result of your reasoned thought or is it effectively just 'because Mummy told me so'?

If you had been born in India, would you still have this faith? Mightn't you have been ardently declaring your devotion to Shiva or Allah at this point?

By your reckoning, this would make you unworthy in the eyes of God, just because of your parents and upbringing. Is this fair? Is this part of God's 'eternal moral code'?
    "You get one shot at paradise, but it's almost entirely down to who your parents were".
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    And no tommy, as the Muslim says, God is not a "proof" issue. It's a FAITH issue. As a Christian I have faith that God is a reality.
    No, it is not fairy tales and God is real.
    You believe god is real. Thus, like itzme, you would say 'I believe in God.'

There is a difference between 'i believe in god and saying ' Its not fairy tales and god is real' ,. When you state something objectively its going beyond faith and you need to prove it.

I believe in New Testament Bible sexual ethics DESPITE the culture I live in not respecting them
    New tastament has nothing to do with rules against homosexuality . There are only a very small amount of things stated which do not directly translate to homosexuality but infact can be viewed and read in different ways to fit many different miscellaneous catagories, these passages, as said, then dont actually state anything of concern about that subject, whether you view it as homosexuality or not.

So im wondering where your beliefs on homosexuality come from?
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is it with this sudden obsession with incest?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    What is it with this sudden obsession with incest?
    Anyone who wants to repress homosexuals is clearly a mother****er.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippa)
    Have you ever thought about why you have this faith? Is it a result of your reasoned thought or is it effectively just 'because Mummy told me so'?

If you had been born in India, would you still have this faith? Mightn't you have been ardently declaring your devotion to Shiva or Allah at this point?

By your reckoning, this would make you unworthy in the eyes of God, just because of your parents and upbringing. Is this fair? Is this part of God's 'eternal moral code'?
    "You get one shot at paradise, but it's almost entirely down to who your parents were".
    My mum is an atheist. My dad is a Jew who rarely mentions his faith. I read some of the other supposedly holy books such as the Vedas and Koran, then read Bible and became born-again at 14. I spent hours for most days in the six months after that trying to thrash out a consistent theological viewpoint on all things with Scripture in mind.

If I had been born somewhere else where Christianity is in the minority, I believe that if I had heard the Gospel I would have believed it and proclaimed it even if that meant a risk of my own family killing me. If I didn't, I believe there will be a second chance after death for those who never got to hear the Gospel on Earth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mum is an atheist. My dad is a Jew who rarely mentions his faith. I read some of the other supposedly holy books such as the Vedas and Koran, then read Bible and became born-again at 14. I spent hours for most days in the six months after that trying to thrash out a consistent theological viewpoint on all things with Scripture in mind.

If I had been born somewhere else where Christianity is in the minority, I believe that if I had heard the Gospel I would have believed it and proclaimed it even if that meant a risk of my own family killing me. If I didn't, I believe there will be a second chance after death for those who never got to hear the Gospel on Earth.
    Still not going to explain your views on homosexuality? There is no explicit condemnation in the NT, and yet you say you don't follow the OT... gotta love religious logic.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

So what you are saying is you are in fact immoral and bad (like you said, you wouldn't care about laws or anything), but follow some rules in a book because you think you will be punished if you don't. Shows who you truly are, and shows how better atheists must be to not need threats or magic books written by the unicorn king (or men working for a magic sky man, whichever nonsense you happen to believe).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabrookes)
    So what you are saying is you are in fact immoral and bad (like you said, you wouldn't care about laws or anything), but follow some rules in a book because you think you will be punished if you don't. Shows who you truly are, and shows how better atheists must be to not need threats or magic books written by the unicorn king (or men working for a magic sky man, whichever nonsense you happen to believe).
    I follow Jesus because He died for my sins, not because of threats of punishment. It is weak/spiritually immature Christians who only obey due to fear of being sent to Hell. And God is NOT a magic sky man and the Bible is NOT a magic book. Using the word "magic" is inaccurate as magic refers to divination or other SINFUL practices.

There is no "better" or "worse", no morality at all, without a God-made standard and no point in having laws without God. Morals and a materialistic universe DO NOT go together. No ought from an is in subatomic particles, forces, equations or natural selection!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.