Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Slow vehicles that try to pass you.

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Landie_Man)
    What kind of car?
    Fiat 126
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROG.)
    the HC is clear on this - if another is struggling to get passed then ease off to assist them

LGVs are the worst for this and we end up with elephant racing for miles
    Done about 300 miles today, mainly on dual A-Roads, and this was going on all the time. Very few lorries want to help each other pass, cue, as you say, elephant racing for miles.

Car drivers I will point out are not innocent here either. The rule on the motorway is keep left unless overtaking. Why is it I seem to be the only one who knows this? I followed a van up the M6 this afternoon for about 3 miles, doing 65ish in the fast lane with the middle lane clear and the left lane mostly clear. :stupid: #rant
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Done about 300 miles today, mainly on dual A-Roads, and this was going on all the time. Very few lorries want to help each other pass, cue, as you say, elephant racing for miles.

Car drivers I will point out are not innocent here either. The rule on the motorway is keep left unless overtaking. Why is it I seem to be the only one who knows this? I followed a van up the M6 this afternoon for about 3 miles, doing 65ish in the fast lane with the middle lane clear and the left lane mostly clear. :stupid: #rant
    I know what you mean, the left lane can be a very lonely place at times!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsoloman)
    Well, It annoys me when people can't spell....

• 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    I know what you mean, the left lane can be a very lonely place at times!
    Tbh, alot of the time I'm quite happy to cruise at 56 with the lorries. Low stress, low fuel consumption, easy run. As long as I'm not late!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, alot of the time I'm quite happy to cruise at 56 with the lorries. Low stress, low fuel consumption, easy run. As long as I'm not late!
    Yeah, I've often found some of my least stressful journeys are when I'm towing my boat and just sitting in the left lane. Unfortunately most of the journeys I've been doing recently have been from (my former) work in Devon to home in Suffolk - at 75/80 on the motorways that's pushing 6 hours so I do like to keep the speed up!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The highway code is not a legal document. Some parts of it may refer to specific laws, other parts are just general advice. Some bits of it are outdated, others are misleading.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:

The number of times you see one muppet driving down the middle lane with the left lane empty, and then a queue of 10-12 cars in the right lane trickling past him.

The good part of that, ironically, is that as you approach the situation, correctly positioned in the left hand lane of course, you can often just cruise past the whole lot by simply doing what you're supposed to by staying in the left most available lane.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummerAnthems)
    In the case of lorries (and other vehicles to a lesser extent) it's much more efficient fuel wise to maintain a constant speed without braking and accelerating. The inconvenience of slowly overtaking someone is justified by their fuel and cost savings.

It doesn't annoy me, no. If I'm quite happy going 70 then I'm quite happy. It's their problem if they want to overtake me or not.
    It might save them money in that immediate case, but it probably annoys the people who are a few miles back who, 5 minutes later, suddenly have to slow down to about 10 mph and can't understand why.

And when they're the ones caught up in the 'mysterious' traffic bunching due to the behaviour of other lorries, all those savings go out of the window.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Lorries are limited to 56mph.
    Not all.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.