Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why is taking antidepressants ok, but small amounts of pot is frowned upon

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Marijuana in small amounts has been found, for many, to not only be effective for depression but also for anxiety and attention disorders.

Why is it ok to be dosed up to the eyeballs on something which in the long run is can be extremely addictive and physically harmful, but something which works just as well for many (if not better), which physically, is proven to be non-toxic and chemically non-addictive is shunned?

Is it simply because of certain subcultures and individual who misuse it? Because clearly marijuana and psychedelics have real therapeutic potential.

Edit: And just for the record i'm not advocating "drug" use either. What people decide to use is entirely up to them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people are stupid and will believe anything they read without second thought. Best current example being Kony 2012.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You clearly don't realise weed can cause psychosis.

However saying that, anti-d's are just part of the "not my responsibility' culture where people don't want to confront their personal weaknesses but would rather be told they are depressed so take some pills for a solution.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Because marijuana is illegal. So is frowned upon by the majority of the law abiding population... When/if it becomes legal it may become 'socially acceptable'.

And people on anti-depressants are trying to treat a medical condition, why wouldn't that be ok?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Kid)

However saying that, anti-d's are just part of the "not my responsibility' culture where people don't want to confront their personal weaknesses but would rather be told they are depressed so take some pills for a solution.
    But is it weed that causes psychosis, or do those effected by conditions like schizophrenia simply use marijuana for self-medication to alleviate symptoms?

(Original post by HighRoller)
    Marijuana in small amounts has been found, for many, to not only be effective for depression but also for anxiety and attention disorders.

Why is it ok to be dosed up to the eyeballs on something which in the long run is can be extremely addictive and physically harmful, but something which works just as well for many (if not better), which physically, is proven to be non-toxic and chemically non-addictive is shunned?

Is it simply because of certain subcultures and individual who misuse it? Because clearly marijuana and psychedelics have real therapeutic potential.

Edit: And just for the record i'm not advocating "drug" use either. What people decide to use is entirely up to them.
    antidepressants aren't addictive.

As for weed, I don't think giving weed to people with mental health issues already is a good idea. Especially not with the link to psychosis.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It because weed is illegal and so people associate it with other illegal drugs. Are you sure antidepressants chemically addictive? I didn't think they were.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    But if pot is smoked, it can cause lung cancer. Long term use can cause mental health problems.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow I didn't realise people cared about every petty little thing "the law" says. Selling alcohol and cigarettes, clearly the government is always acting in the best interest of society :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

You are right about weed, but completely ignorant about anti-depressants.

They are not necessarily addictive (but can have withdrawal effects), and even so the addiction isn't a problem because the drugs are not harmful.

If you can find a proper study that says that weed works for depression, and works better than anti-depressants I would like to see it.

It's a stupid comparison. Find another drug to compare it to.

(Original post by OU Student)
    But if pot is smoked, it can cause lung cancer. Long term use can cause mental health problems.
    I think this is also a misconception. It's not advised for people with mental health problems (such as schizophrenia) because it can worsen some symptoms.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But is it weed that causes psychosis, or do those effected by conditions like schizophrenia simply use marijuana for self-medication to alleviate symptoms?
    Weed can cause psychosis, as in turn someone who is normal schizophrenic. It certainly does not alleviate symptoms of psychosis.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people are stupid and don't realise how ****ed up the world is.
    • 81 followers

ReputationRep:
    ssris suck anyway, they just numb all emotion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The government doesn't want us to use Cannabis. They want us to use their drugs instead so that they can make a profit.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    given that there is a consistent pattern of symptoms following use .... i think it's fair self evident

this leaves aside the the issues of drug safety and proper evidence base

congratulations HighRoller you've been taken in by the anti-psychiatry loons , please collect your ration of tinfoil and instructions on hat making ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People saying its against the law: that is not a valid reason for it not to be used as medicine! Alcohol has no positive health effects (don't quote red wine antioxidants ffs) and that's "legal".
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The main thing I have against weed is that my bf used to waste £45/week on it when he was at uni, and is now £1500 into his overdraft... while he doesn't smoke nearly as much now, he still spends I think at least £10-20/week on it. As well as smoking regular tobacco during the day. I, meanwhile, am saving as much as I can trying to get together a deposit for a house for us to live in. And scrimping on things like lunch and bulk-buying juice and crap like that just to try to save some cash.

I don't condone anti-depressants for the sake of it, but doesn't mean that smoking weed all the time is fine either. I find it used to make him moody and sleepy all the time which isn't exactly great either.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Kid)

Well you clearly know how depression works...

What evidence is there that marijuana is just as effective as antidepressants?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd Future)
    People saying its against the law: that is not a valid reason for it not to be used as medicine! Alcohol has no positive health effects (don't quote red wine antioxidants ffs) and that's "legal".
    Actually, alcohol does have some positive health effects for some people. Many people with Nystagmus (including me) find that it slows the eye movement down.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against weed, but some antidepressants are targeted towards specific mental health problems such as anxiety or OCD.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 22, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.