Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Problem with Adam and Eve and then Cane and Abel...

Announcements Posted on
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll start by admitting i know rather little about the bible but one of the bits i have heard is the story of Adam and Eve and their two sons ... so heres the problem i see once Adam and Eve have popped out their two kids how did those 4 grow into the current 7 billion? aside from the fact two men cant breed [and the bible forbids it anyway :rolleyes: would that not mean the current race of humans are all revoltingly inbred and should have died out millenia ago..?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    they must have had some fun with their mum i guess
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    I'll start by admitting i know rather little about the bible but one of the bits i have heard is the story of Adam and Eve and their two sons ... so heres the problem i see once Adam and Eve have popped out their two kids how did those 4 grow into the current 7 billion? aside from the fact two men cant breed [and the bible forbids it anyway :rolleyes: would that not mean the current race of humans are all revoltingly inbred and should have died out millenia ago..?
    No, it means the Bible is incorrect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Let me explain.

In the morning Eve used to give birth to two kids. A boy and a girl... In the evening she used to do the same... Now the boy who was born in the morning will marry the girl born in the evening and similarly the girl born in the day would marry the boy born in the evening.

That is what the Quran says... I am sure that it's pretty similar in the Bible too.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eve gave birth to many many twins and they all married one another, that's how mankind began
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustBorn)
    Let me explain.

In the morning Eve used to give birth to two kids. A boy and a girl... In the evening she used to do the same... Now the boy who was born in the morning will marry the girl born in the evening and similarly the girl born in the day would marry the boy born in the evening.

That is what the Quran says... I am sure that it's pretty similar in the Bible too.
    In what chapter and verse are these in the Bible?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisy06)
    Eve gave birth to many many twins and they all married one another, that's how mankind began
    but wouldnt that still make all horrendously inbred mutants?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    doesn't actually say they only had 2 kids... (and Cain killed Abel...)

also, genesis 1:26-29 God created humankind on the fifth day. The whole 'garden of eden' thing is in a different place I think... Adam and Eve sinned so were banished from the garden and joined the rest of the earth.

just sayin'...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    but wouldnt that still make all horrendously inbred mutants?
    No, because God made their biology such that it wouldn't be a problem. This is the Being who Created Adam from dust, I don't think it was too difficult for Him to sort it out
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noisy06)
    No, because God made their biology such that it wouldn't be a problem. This is the Being who Created Adam from dust, I don't think it was too difficult for Him to sort it out
    So why when people do it now do rather nasty consequences happen? this confuses me
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam6993)
    No, it means the Bible is incorrect.
    Incorrect / a complete work of fiction. Hell is a pit of fire? Oh pleeeeeeease! Is that the best they could come up with.

It may have frightened the masses into conformity in century's gone by but people are slowly waking up to just how ludicrous it all is.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    So why when people do it now do rather nasty consequences happen? this confuses me
    God forbade it to be done now, he has created us in such a way that with time we will not be able to breed like Adam and Eve did. In fact, this incident only occurred during that time alone, it was literally a miracle that Eve was able to give so much children and also that the children could marry without giving birth to defected and deformed kids. It's no longer possible now, and it is prohibited by God anyway (because God wants it that way)
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it, you know, allergorical....
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    This question tends to get asked a lot. The answer is that yes, while Adam and Eve are said to have had two sons (Cain and Abel), neither the Bible nor Qur'an ever says that they had only two sons. Cain and Abel simply happen to be particularly well known, because of the story about one killing the other. But as far as the rest of them go, I suppose there wasn't really any special story to tell.

I'd also point out that Cain and Abel aren't necessarily literal sons of Adam and Eve. They could have been grandchildren, or great great .... great grandchildren. It's often the case that when the Bible or Qur'an refer to the "sons" or "daughters" of someone, it really means descendants in a more general sense. For example, the Qur'an will often refer to any man it's addressing as "Son of Adam", or will refer to the entire human race as "Children of Adam". The Bible contains a bit of this as well.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just a myth. Myths are often made to not make sense.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gotta remember the creation story was written ages after the event, by Moses (though influenced by God)
    It's mainly gonna be based on word of mouth/stories passed down so cant be expected to be exactly, scientifically accurate.

(and even with evolution, ya gotta start with a small tribe of 'first humans' so the incest issue still stands)

but if we consider that their DNA was newly created by God, its gonna be pretty near perfect, the reason inbreeding causes a problem is because close relatives have very similar DNA to you, so small recessive faults are much more likely to be gained from both parents so may show in the phenotype. If they don't yet have these faults/mutations that have developed in the human race over time, then inbreeding shouldn't cause as much of a problem.
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    (and even with evolution, ya gotta start with a small tribe of 'first humans' so the incest issue still stands)
    Not necessarily, all you need is a genetically isolated population, that could be anything from two to 200 individuals. Larger sizes are more likely in the case of our ancestors given the social nature of apes. Plus I think the criticism is more than simply the genetic disadvantages of inbreeding, but also the fact that god made it a necessity despite it being quite an abominable practice, something god agrees with given that he outlines the various forbidden relationships across Deuteronomy and Leviticus.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Not necessarily, all you need is a genetically isolated population, that could be anything from two to 200 individuals. Larger sizes are more likely in the case of our ancestors given the social nature of apes. Plus I think the criticism is more than simply the genetic disadvantages of inbreeding, but also the fact that god made it a necessity despite it being quite an abominable practice, something god agrees with given that he outlines the various forbidden relationships across Deuteronomy and Leviticus.
    I think that genesis 1:26-29 says that 'humankind' were created earlier somewhere else, and Adam (and co.) joined them when they were kicked out of eden...

But still, it's a story written much later. I don't think we're meant to read so deeply into it... it doesn't seem like it should be taken scientifically, 'coz neither the author or the target audience (the israelites) were scientists, or had anything like the knowledge/experience/questions we have today. Besides, they were used to eating magic bread and quail that 'appeared' outside their tents every day for 40 years!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you guys think it is weird that Adam's children married one another, how do you think Adam felt when he became married to his rib?

Hehe, the thing is, part of God's purpose for man was to multiply and spread all over the world. Naturally the beginning of this process was to have the first litter of children to marry one another. Then after that, they marry their cousins, and so on and so on. If we were to marry our brothers and sisters today, it would be considered staying in house, and going against that part of God's plan. (to spread out and multiply) So that is why in the laws seen in Exodus, it is not allowed.

Anytime we think on a literal Genesis, never apply today's processes to the processes describe in Genesis. Remember, this was before the world became corrupt. Even immediately after sin came in, the processes back then was still closer to perfection. So let's not say Adam's children couldn't have married each other because of genetic defaults within the offspring, because genetically speaking, they were way better off than the world today. (These cats were living for 900 years!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'll start by admitting i know rather little about the bible but one of the bits i have heard is the story of Adam and Eve and their two sons ... so heres the problem i see once Adam and Eve have popped out their two kids how did those 4 grow into the current 7 billion?
    Who says they have to?

What about the people already multiplying and filling the Earth in Genesis 1?

aside from the fact two men cant breed [and the bible forbids it anyway :rolleyes:
    silly comment,

Gen. 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

And incest wasn't out-lawed until centuries later when the gene pool was significantly reduces and people were living less long, which would indicate some sort of genetic degredation.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 18, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.