Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who do you feel most sorry for in this story? Transgender? "Victim" of lies?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sked-girl.html

if it's too long for you to read, it's about a 14 year old girl, emily, who met a guy online, matt. they eventually met up and it came out that matt was actually a girl named chloe.

while i feel sorry for emily for being lied to... i feel very sorry for matt as he is obviously struggling deeply with gender issues, his grandmother is obviously not accepting of this and has reprimanded him for it... it must be very hard for him.. i suppose in his eyes, he sees himself as matt so feels he hasn't really lied to emily... to him he IS a boy.. though obviously lying about his sex is not right and he should be open because some people won't be comfortable with it (he may be a different gender but currently his sex is female)... i do not like the way emily, her parents and matts grandmother speak about him... he is still the same person she fell in love with.

if this happened to me i would freak out and feel hurt betrayed and lied to.. but trying to get the guy arrested? ridiculous.
    i think i would try and remain friends with him and hopefully try and help him with his struggles.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Still have no idea how she couldn't tell it was a girl. And if she's such a victim, why is she going to the press constantly about it? If I was geniunely upset/embarrassed I'd hide away, not draw more attention to myself.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all Emily's fault. She decided to meet a stranger online and in person and to trust that person. There should be no hope of criminal conviction for mat/chloe. It was not legally binding for matt to tell the truth. If emily can take matt to court for that lie, could I take many people who have lied to me to court?! The whole thing is just BS and emily and her parents should be asked to pay full court fees. This is appalling.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackal The)
    Still have no idea how she couldn't tell it was a girl. And if she's such a victim, why is she going to the press constantly about it? If I was geniunely upset/embarrassed I'd hide away, not draw more attention to myself.
    agree with the last bit, but have to say there are some quite girly looking teens out there..

i am not a hater of justin bieber i actually like him as a person, but whenever i look at him he just looks very feminine to me.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, the Heil love these stories. Further proof of their transphobic agenda. Whilst I totally and utterly sympathise with Emily, its obvious Matt is going through a pretty tough transition and this may have been a way for him to start coming to terms with his gender identity. The parents did seem to treat the situation well, ignoring some of the comments about him needing psychological help and the father referring to him as 'it'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This whole thing is sickening. It seems likely that Matt is not 'pretending to be a boy', or is a manipulator of any kind, but is simply a nervous transgender person. It's difficult to say on such little evidence, but this insistence on calling trans people 'dupers' or 'liars' or even 'predators' is absolutely terrible.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    More transphobia from the Daily Mail... what a surprise... :rolleyes: Emily's parents sound awful - it's probably because of their bigoted views that she's so traumatised by it. They really seem to think that a girl 'pretending' to be a boy should be a crime and it's their duty to warn others about this. Most people know that there are people lying about their identity on the internet (not that that's even true in this case) and you have to be cautious when you're talking to someone you've never met before. It's also great for trying out an identity in a safe environment, which seems to be the case for Matt.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Jasmine err sorry Jason off of hollyoaks, except Jasmine wanted to be Jason and get with Bart, so like a girl wanting to be a boy to have relationships with boys. But in this case a girl pretending to be a boy wanting to be with a girl. Would be interesting to know the upbringing, mentality, etc etc of these confused people, is it just natural or has something happened to said person to make them think like this?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "internet age story to chill any parent's spine" lol.....
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    More transphobia from the Daily Mail... what a surprise... :rolleyes: Emily's parents sound awful - it's probably because of their bigoted views that she's so traumatised by it. They really seem to think that a girl 'pretending' to be a boy should be a crime and it's their duty to warn others about this. Most people know that there are people lying about their identity on the internet (not that that's even true in this case) and you have to be cautious when you're talking to someone you've never met before. It's also great for trying out an identity in a safe environment, which seems to be the case for Matt.
    i was surprised that one of the top voted comments stated feeling sorry for matt... ususally that would get redded.

i agree her parents make me feel a bit sick i was very annoyed by how the article makes emilys parents and matts grandmother sound.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he's lied to her. He IS a guy, he was just born with XX chromosomes. If I found out a guy I was dating was born a girl, I'd be shocked, but I'd realise they are still the person- man- I fell for. What could he be arrested for? He's not done anything illegal.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    Weird you posted this thread, as I literally just read this story.

I'm not sure what to think tbh. I wonder how different would this story be if Matt/Chloe was a confirmed trans person.

Whilst I do feel a bit bad for Emily, at least she did draw a rather long straw in this case and didn't fall into the arms of some middle-aged paedo rapist murderer.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohirome)
    Ah, the Heil love these stories. Further proof of their transphobic agenda. Whilst I totally and utterly sympathise with Emily, its obvious Matt is going through a pretty tough transition and this may have been a way for him to start coming to terms with his gender identity. The parents did seem to treat the situation well, ignoring some of the comments about him needing psychological help and the father referring to him as 'it'.
    i thought that until they started being rude about matt and going psycho about locking him up...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a world away from the online identities created by paedophiles and so forth to facilitate their crimes. The key is that pretending to be a boy isn't a crime in real life, so why should it be prosecutable online?

Doubtless this is an incidence of transgender erasure as her personality is that of a boy, she was merely displaying this rather than engaging in a serious deception.

Anyway 14-year-old girls and their relationship dramas are hardly national news or legal issues.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    "internet age story to chill any parent's spine" lol.....
    sorry that's the daily mail for you... there was one article i remember reading where they said an 18 year old moving in with her teacher was a "parents' worst nightmare"..
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    i thought that until they started being rude about matt and going psycho about locking him up...
    Im not gonna lie, I did stop reading around the last point I mentioned. I just can't quite stay on that site without wanting to rip my eyeballs out. Between the DM and The Sun, theres a worrying level of transphobia being pushed out right now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they haven't lied as such, but it's a pretty big thing not to mention.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by syrettd)
    I don't think he's lied to her. He IS a guy, he was just born with XX chromosomes. If I found out a guy I was dating was born a girl, I'd be shocked, but I'd realise they are still the person- man- I fell for. What could he be arrested for? He's not done anything illegal.
    i don't know... i completely agree that matt IS a guy.. but at the same time his sex is still female... so while he wasn't lying about being matt, he had lied by omission about female body.. which is quite a big thing.. because not everyone is so pansexual about these things which you also have to accept.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohirome)
    Im not gonna lie, I did stop reading around the last point I mentioned. I just can't quite stay on that site without wanting to rip my eyeballs out. Between the DM and The Sun, theres a worrying level of transphobia being pushed out right now.
    the comments that are usually left behind (don't know if you read about zach, the 5 year old transgender who was a girl but sexually a boy)... make my blood boil, so ignorant.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to feel sorry for something I don't understand, and I do not understand transgender, so sorry for the straight girl but parents should keep an eye on what their kids are upto online. A lot can go wrong.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 20, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.