op manchester in one word is awesome, nice place to live and lots to do :yep:

Original post by sarah1345
Is there a chinatown?

yes their is, in city centre and its quite nice too :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by consumed by stuff
tbf anywhere is a bit rough if your a bit soft. not directed at you.

yeah im from london but i bet that guys from some little village :tongue:
Original post by hasan4life
op manchester in one word is awesome, nice place to live and lots to do :yep:

yes their is, in city centre and its quite nice too :smile:

woo, im chinese british so gonna be visiting their restaurants :biggrin:
Reply 23
Just don't **** with the locals.
It's like any other city, has some nice parts and some not so nice parts. Most of the student stuff is slightly away from the main city (still within walking distance/short bus ride).

Weather is pretty unpredictable, has nice spells and bad spells like most of the UK.

Has a lot of options for shopping, Market street is really nice and is pretty close to oxford road so you won't have a lot of travel time going to and from uni.

Don't really go clubbing so can't advise you on that but never heard anyone complain about a lack of clubs or that they were of a sub-standard quality.

theirs plenty of chinese here lol, and yh lots of restaurants for everybody, i have a big one like 5 mins from me :smile:
Is there a chinatown?

Yes, there is - there are three good-sized supermarkets there (one in which the stock still moves of its own accord), and numerous other restaurants and other Chinese-owned businesses. It's all in a little square in central Manchester - if you type M1 4HE into google maps then it'll show you.
Reply 27
Original post by Bellissima
basically i like a chemistry course at manc uni... but what is the town like to live in? the course sounds ideal but i don't know about the city.

student life, niceness of city, clubs, transport, shopping, weather

Can't go wrong living in Manchester - all the shops, pubs and clubs you'll ever need. UoM is great, i've enjoyed my first 2 years so far and would happily stay on after graduation.

Like any city it's always great to find a new little bar or club tucked away somewhere. And like everyone's said, the uni and city centre are only a 15min walk apart, so everything's nearby.
I read a poem once that basically inferred that Manchester was dark, dirty and like a massive urinal!! Not sure who it was written by.

Same here! Here in London, the Chinatown is aweshum!
Love it!
Try live as close to town as you can though :smile:
Original post by iheartmyart
Love it!

So Whitworth Park over Fallowfield?
Original post by Origami Bullets
Yes, there is - there are three good-sized supermarkets there (one in which the stock still moves of its own accord), and numerous other restaurants and other Chinese-owned businesses. It's all in a little square in central Manchester - if you type M1 4HE into google maps then it'll show you.

How good is the careers service? Do many people at Manchester manage to get internships at London firms etc.?
Original post by Luxray
Aww you will love it! even when you are an old Magic Bus getting a leaflet from Magic Bus Lady (google her lol)

Gutted that I still haven't met crazy bus lady!!! My friends and I really want to.

Only one I've seen is the guy on his bike with the boombox on the back.
Reply 34
what's it like compared to living in london?

i want to live in london because i love the city but the course in manc is awesome..

obviously i will choose course over city..
Reply 35
Original post by Luxray
Aww you will love it! even when you are an old Magic Bus getting a leaflet from Magic Bus Lady (google her lol)

Is this her?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by iheartmyart
Love it!

Original post by victoryshinesonus
So Whitworth Park over Fallowfield?

Always a matter of debate on these forums! Personally I think that the excellent transport links (buses every 30 seconds to a minute during the day, which take you to uni and then town) mean that living close to the city really isn't necessary. I'd always choose Fallowfield over City - I'm living in Fallowfield this year, and living in Fallowfield next year too - with a load of people who currently live in City, but who want to move to Fallowfield.

Original post by victoryshinesonus
How good is the careers service? Do many people at Manchester manage to get internships at London firms etc.?

It has quite a good reputation, but truth be told I've not actually tried it out as yet, and I've never actually spoken to anyone who has. It has won awards though!

That said, I do know a couple of people with London internships lined up, but I'm pretty sure they lined those up themselves.

Original post by Stopford

Is this her?

That is, indeed, the Crazy Bus Lady! If you happen to go out early on a weekend morning (say, 7 or 8am on a Sunday) then she can sometimes be found sleeping on the bench in a bus shelter next to Owens Park. Her leaflets, or 'articles' as she calls them, are completely indecipherable - but they do tend to involve stuff about freemasons and corrupt police. She's quite clearly mentally ill (schizophrenic, I suspect), but also completely harmless.
Reply 37
Original post by tillytots
Gutted that I still haven't met crazy bus lady!!! My friends and I really want to.

Only one I've seen is the guy on his bike with the boombox on the back.

He's so cool!
Original post by Bellissima
basically i like a chemistry course at manc uni... but what is the town like to live in? the course sounds ideal but i don't know about the city.

student life, niceness of city, clubs, transport, shopping, weather

Student life - really, really good but you need to be a city, not a campus person.

Niceness of city - debatable - some of the architecture is lovely, some is grim. There's a bit of a lack of green space in the city centre but there is a decent park in the main student area. In general the city has a bit of a scuzzy feel - but I'm not sure that this isn't just common to all UK cities.

Clubs - there's plenty of them - how good they are is another matter but I'm sure there's something to suit most tastes.

Transport - very good - particularly in the city centre and along the main student areas. It's 2hrs to London by train and there's a decent international airport.

Shopping - we have shops, lots of shops. You're going to be a student though so you won't need any of these, right?

Weather - it rains.... a lot... a hell of a lot. I don't think it's fully possible to understand how much it rains unless you live here.
Reply 39
I'm actually buzzing! Think I'm going to put Oak House first choice now after seeing the photos. Although Manchester could do with modernising its accommodation when it's compared to other unis :tongue:

What you thinking?

You saw photos?! Where??

Yeah I've already applied :smile: put down oak house, sheavyn house & Richmond park. Btw there's no first-second-third choice, the list of options is just preferences :smile:

Btw i read somewhere that oak house lower flats flood a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending